Sopwith Camel

Welcome omce again my friends to the show that never ends.

This months lesson in wood fondling will be a demo of how to find a camel in a plank. Specifically, uncovering the sopwith camel that is hiding inside the offcuts of my spitfire build.

Step 1, plans and bits

29244134827_b2c400575f_c.jpg

Part B, Hercule Poirot's moustache:

29244134857_24664348db_z.jpg

iii, carefully measure the fuselage

29244134907_31d6681090_c.jpg

Four, get distracted during planing and take too much off, plus the top of my finger. Grrrrr

29244134947_49cdabff58_c.jpg

More anon when the bleeding stops.

Nick

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Right, back from a very restful sojourn to God's Own Country and back to "work". I've been trying to come up with a way of modelling a 9 cylinder rotary, but my geometry keeps failing, so to get back into the swing of things some miniguns. Well, mini- Vickers, not miniguns, but you know what I mean.

43706163034_d8f81f6147_z.jpg

43706163084_bda97bf520_z.jpg

• Like 3

I think I may be there with the engine, especially as its mostly hidden under the nose cowling. Had to make a new prop as the old one broke, and manged to clone the vickers gun. Need to think about the cowling next, it may mean using plastic (shudder).

44449802271_42231538ba_z.jpg

• Like 3

On 02/09/2018 at 20:45, Redshift said:

Right, back from a very restful sojourn to God's Own Country and back to "work".

Wow ! All of this work and a trip to New Zealand as well!

Only just found this but am loving what I am seeing!

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

Wow ! All of this work and a trip to New Zealand as well!

Only just found this but am loving what I am seeing!

Sorry Steve, it was God's Own Country (northern England division) a.k.a North Yorkshire. Very pretty, but not as pretty as the pictures I've seen of NZ.

Think I can avoid the dreaded plastic for now, plywood to the rescue.

• Like 1

Not balsa, stacked rings of 5mm ply.

Even a flat wing can give me trouble, I joined them with 1mm brass bar, but drilling the holes accurately was challenging. 

Next, what to do about the cockpit, and how mad to go with detail given that it is hidden under the wing.

• Like 1

Lots of activity, but not much to show for it. I did several hours keyhole surgery to scrape out the cockpit, but I'm not overly happy with it as its a bit rough and ready. Also tried making raised ribs then completely abandoned them as being, well, rubbish. Here is the current state of play, starting to come together, but not quite as good as I'd hoped.

44716971071_111514f76f_c.jpg

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

Looks Ok to me too!

Don’t chasten yourself too much - this is scratchbuilding after all. Don’t think of imperfections as problems, think of them as talking points and proof that it’s scratched. 😀

Very true. Guess I've just got mid-project doldrums, and I've also been looking at too many of @Moa's outstanding scratch-built weird and wonderful creations. There's also an Avro 504K somewhere that's coming together rather well too! :)

Edited by Redshift
typo
  • Haha 1