100th Bomb Group Memorial Museum - Station 139 (updated 23/08/18)

Hi

I spent a fascinating couple of hours at Thorpe Abbotts this morning.

The volunteers are very friendly and knowledgeable and the exhibits are in good condition and well-displayed. The only original buildings are the Watch Office/Control Tower and the Engine Shed.

I took many pictures, but will share just a few that may be of interest here.

mafC908GXh1aB--QWyhHGUrbPfWjhBFV9ej01Gg7

JkkvE8UwkM4IneBiCahGoUBeSS9q9kTwTlYATvb4

Memorial to General LeMay erected by the 100th Bomb Group Association, USA

cK4PcD-xKxZr-Ifgym0WGC9lCIN34YLJpa-w0b98

Varian Centre, named after Horace L. Varian, Group Adjutant and later Ground Executive

66_WY9UWrMgg-YY4A8XdP01aGAsiv1vqfbCjGHEv

hTNR6qcl2_kLAyohYcS2et5e4_gQpPYV7H2s_KX_

B9drwjJ1z3DMNxndgeYP7PVKW0zMwiAC2LPBCZmA

Exhibits in the Sad Sack Shack - named after a based B-17 lost on a raid on Berlin in 1944. (B-17 #42-38016 / Seaton’s Sad Sack

Delivered Cheyenne 14/11/43; Kearney 8/12/43; Presque Is 9/12/43; Assigned 350BS/100BG [LN-B] Thorpe Abbotts 16/12/43; Missing in Action Berlin 6/3/44 with Stan Seaton, Co-pilot: Bill Clayton, Navigator: Chas Dewolfe, Bombardier: George Ofiesh, Flight engineer/top turret gunner: Peter Hogan, Radio Operator: Joe Judd, Ball turret gunner: Bob Cook, Waist gunner: Loydell Malone, Waist gunner: Art Le Breque (9 Prisoner of War);Tail gunner: Leming Hull (Killed in Action); enemy aircraft, crashed Rech/Ahrweiler, Ger. Missing Air Crew Report 3024. SEATON’S SAD SACK.)

pfBC7GbnB_9FvIHoOZ9opJ9_Pm4vGDpJ7Jd34mQi

3oq1dXaUCUKSHZYDIsB1I7f86dUmaI866a6zjOey

87YHjV1m9Neoq43GEXuDRfvECB6SBoU2NJiCkz1g

Uw-r_uati_s_z6llrOHTpPiz7qFppwINsSUPG8GO

KZlpmg8WZ_Q-xfRgY440oUd75vy7wusM4HcTi0hM

Exhibits in the Engine Shed

RPcmzR8rBSCOSb1AdaD7yxYyj9nJVv8m79OImoUa

Control Tower and exhibits

To_9FJ1qzIz9DEba4_cP3wQ_RxfEV9KK-8iDS2Oh

yG134PGlM4S0BgeWMwTckVWCD9mJcGODlAZGyDqs

PmHJgUEZnNiY1XYOaoQ9CBRx56uY11to5ZUK_tff

JunwFitA5sCnrOOInJ3SSS1uhBdU_Qtz664758rB

Items found on the former airfield

fNIFq65uX_k3Iw0eMBKhd4DRolYvHh_DM8m-f8Q2

TMTRIUZBQUMk22qdMHnMOHZ_eFj2xSiXtvIm5dZw

kIYMnqV9J2bodGyIjxB5jAqKh0nBCKmJwi7HFwhk

20VdN0kfvfM8jYu_bs5gQQOMh79PZ57ysVaKTa5b

UTRMr4IkeL91xetBAXEtFUKBoBanI_IpShd25s8y

Panoramic view across the former airfield from the balcony of the Control Tower

sOMrQL6sqmRaQpl8m9bmlP-YsL44d9kHDmcuOtfX

_cMl8niWCpLPxJroAchR4ad19eVGUAZYwUsy4b9j

JDJp4nTdr0BFOzV7cRSYMcihlawo67KPn1zOvncF

Engine Shed and granite plaque

CI3LDCdUgyKuf2vMKRH9v2QypqHMagp1KP90W7UM

Granite plaque rescued from the 351st Squadron living area when the buildings were demolished in the 1950s

ngLahFGQS7prM66LBJ_PXITeRlsuFc_YvCNGAnIH

Thanks for looking.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 3

What a nice collection. I would like to go there myself sometime.  The full size figures all dressed up are quit moving.... make s you think of how they worked at height in drafty B-17s. 

(One of them looks quite cool with the tinted goggles... sort of reminds me of a TIE Fighter pilot....)

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, PLC1966 said:

Thanks for that chap.  One of those places I have been past the end of and never gone in.  That will change.

Once again,  thanks very much.

Thanks for the kind words. Definitely worth a visit. I'm certainly planning on heading back to the region to visit a couple of other 8th Air Force museums before the end of the summer season.

• Like 1

Hi

I stopped by to pay my respects at a couple of USAAF memorials on the way home.

34th Bomb Group Memorial St Mary the Virgin, Mendlesham, Suffolk

xFXBq8-u1q4o03jBhGXRIf4RHUzo4WBtr8JfyZ4p

siqju5ZItOGS8ualLtbR8zxz0HJSUsyZFbOMKqBn

TwaMjKpDfuv7thkI84PxH8HhCakFq18Oxx8ae4Pg

Station 150 Boxted Airfield Memorial in Langham, Essex

Looking towards the former airfield site

e9ThZQqbMCBtZf_RwqZGWYiEnwrKfBpKpqdHlPmO

Z_kCl8jgGKduRHEhiBy2Obyx-nmsHgyeX6JBRafy

The memorial incorporates some salvaged runway lights from the airfield with a nod to all the units that occupied the site during and after the war

fGmTUFHIp_sucZ93Xwl-uprT7--G23arL0-qjyB_

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Another great set of pictures AD from what is one of my favorite USAAF memorials in East Anglia. It is good that the 100th ARW at nearby Mildenhall maintain a link with their wartime heritage. I suspect though that the Bloody Hundredth will be renumbered if/when the Wing relocate to Ramstein due to their WWII history, but at least the memorial to their earlier incarnation will remain.

Mark

• Like 1

I will be at Thorpe Abbots again on Sep 22 with a Friends of the Eighth meeting in the afternoon. If you are in the area, feel free to come and join us.

The word from the 'hood is that Mildenhall will be staying open, for a variety of reasons - partly due to the vast fuel storage capacity and the back up distribution tanks at Thetford, which also supply Marham, Lakenheath and Honington. Too many restrictions imposed by Germany.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

I will be at Thorpe Abbots again on Sep 22 with a Friends of the Eighth meeting in the afternoon. If you are in the area, feel free to come and join us.

The word from the 'hood is that Mildenhall will be staying open, for a variety of reasons - partly due to the vast fuel storage capacity and the back up distribution tanks at Thetford, which also supply Marham, Lakenheath and Honington. Too many restrictions imposed by Germany.

Thanks for the invitation, Bentwaters but regrettably I will be away on business on the 22nd.

I hope that Mildenhall stays open. I wonder how much will depend on "The Donald" and his relationship with Mrs Merkel? 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...