Material for canvas lorry tilts: solution?

Seahawk

I don't know whether anyone still scratchbuilds lorries but when I did a problem was always what to use for canvas tilts on GS trucks.  Most materials were too thick, too porous or both.  Fret no longer.  The other day I bought some ham off the deli counter at Sainsbury's.  To avoid touching the meat, the server used sheets of some kind of incredibly incredibly thin plastic, possibly polythene, material.  My micrometer screwgauge reckons it's half a thou (ie 0.0005") thick, which must make it pretty close to scale thickness in 1/76.  I imagine tilt frames would show through nicely and it ought to be possible to represent folds without the tilt looking like a heavy lined curtain  No idea how well the stuff takes paint and it tears if you look at it but, with at least 2 sheets per slice of meat, you can afford plenty of wastage.

Apologies if this is all bleeding obvious and you've been using it for years.

• 2 weeks later...

I've found one of the best materials for canvas/bedding in 1/35 are the spectacle wipes, dead cheap and they dry hard into your preferred shape. I can't see (no pun) why they can't be used in your little scale. Worth a go?

Edited by marky sparky