Bf 109 E-1 I/Jg 51 Joseph Priller October 1939. Tamiya Bf 109 E-3 Conversion.

Hello,

I decide to post this build because I'm at the beginning of the painting job. It is a build that i began far long ago and has been stored for some long periods in its box. I decided to start from the Bf 109 E-3 Tamiya which I had already built a copy to build a Bf 109 E-1, because when I started this project Bf 109 E-1 Eduard were not released. I started modifying the wing in 2012 and I really started to build the bird in 2014. That's why in the rest of this post the pictures of the montages are different according to the period.

That said, I had already built a BF 109 E-3 with an RLM 02 / RLM 71 / RLM65 splitter scheme, I wanted for this second mount an early scheme RLM70 / RLM71 / RLM65 with low  line of separation. I set my sights on the following profile:

bf_10910.jpg

This is a 1.JG51 aircraft in October 1939. This aircraft was piloted by Josef "Pips" Priller, whose legend has it that he was the only Luftwaffe pilot to have strafed the landing beaches in Normandy from June 1944. The aircraft is based at that time (october 1939)in Münster Handorf in northwestern Germany, Josef Priller is still a simple pilot with the rank of lieutenant, he will claim his first victory May 28, 1940 during the « Campagne de France ».

josef_10.jpg

Let's move on to plastic now:

The Tamiya model is a marvel, but I bought the Eduard zoom board for the bird and a collimator Revi 12B from Quickboost.

The central part of the cockpit is assembled with the parts provided by the Kit:

dsc08810.jpg

I replaced the rudder pedals with the photoetched part from Eduard. I found these part with a lack of thickness so i fixed 0.3mm profile all around:

dsc08811.jpg

The seat belts passes through the back of the seat on this version of the 109, so I pierced the file. I also treated an ejection pad particularly badly placed on the seat cushion:

dsc08812.jpg

The prepaint phoetched dashboard is a great improvement. Especially if you want to leave the canopy open :

dsc08813.jpg

The right side with Eduard Etched parts. The right console needs to eliminate some original detail. I got a little complicated by keeping some of them. On the next build,I delete everything and remake it scratch :

dsc08815.jpg

The left side with Eduard etched parts. I also scratchbuilded some lacking details:

dsc08814.jpgdsc08816.jpg

The center of the cockpit after paint job. I used Gunze H70 for the RLM02:

dsc08818.jpg

Left side after paint job:

dsc08817.jpg

And the right side.:

dsc08820.jpg

All this little world takes place safely in the fuselage: It's the Magic of Tamiya Kits! The oxygen tube was made from guitar string. The edges of the compressor have been trimmed.

dsc08821.jpg

That’s all folks at this time.

Best regards.

Ps: Sorry for my mistake English.

• Like 3

• 9 months later...