Sea King HAR3

After being away from my work bench for a while I managed to rock up and see what needed doing. Unfortunately, the yellow paint on a couple of pieces seems to have developed localised depigmenting.

20181008_163447

Can't understand why a few bits are like this when they were all done at the same time. Ah well, at least I found it now, so a quick airbrush session is in order.

• Sad 1

A quick blast with the airbrush and I managed to fix the problem.

2018-10-09_11-20-44

I struggled in getting the colour for the rotors as photos showed a variety of colours from black to almost white.  I am guessing that this is due to lighting conditions at the time.  My own pics from Hendon show a slightly dark shade of grey, but the hall was dingy.  As a compromise I chose a lighter grey and went with that.  Apologies to the experts, but I do tend to go by the TLAR approach, and as long as I am happy.....

Once i had got over the paint hurdle I realised that there were very few parts to add, basically undercarriage and antennae fit, so I decided to press on and finish the job.

2018-10-09_09-49-48

2018-10-09_09-50-12

2018-10-09_09-50-47

2018-10-09_09-51-54

2018-10-09_09-52-17

The keen eyed among you may notice an omission due to the carpet monster, I am hoping that it will shortly be ill and regurgitate the part so I can finish this.

Thanks for putting up with me.

• Like 5

That looks terrific.  A really nice build and paint finish.  I did some filming in one of these with the guys from 203(R) Squadron at RAF St Mawgan a few years back, taking part in a training exercise over the Bristol Channel.  Great fun.   

• Thanks 1

Nicely done, DL. Top tip: when stationary the SK’s rotor blades each have a slight droop. Not much, but enough to notice. They got very grubby in service, which was especially noticeable on the yellow blade, and they all had a pretty matt finish. I’m also pretty sure that the blade undersides were matt black, but it’s been quite a while since I looked at one!

It’s probably a bit late now, and you might well have a reference to show otherwise at some point, but the squadron - 22/202/203(R)/78 - emblems were nearly always applied to the lower part of the crew door (‘lower personnel door’) on the port/left side. The marking was simply a big vinyl sticker and was a pig to remove, so it wasn’t uncommon for them to be applied on top of the previous one(s) as the Mk 3 airframe moved between SAR flights. 

Jon

Thanks Jonners. The rotors on the kit do seem to have a bit of droop built in, but it is the wrong way. Options are try to add droop or place the rotors the wrong way round, which looked even worse. As for the marking, I went off the decal sheet placing. I thought it looked odd but stupidly didn't double check. 

• 4 months later...
On 10/10/2018 at 07:42, Jonners said:

Nicely done, DL. Top tip: when stationary the SK’s rotor blades each have a slight droop. Not much, but enough to notice. They got very grubby in service, which was especially noticeable on the yellow blade, and they all had a pretty matt finish. I’m also pretty sure that the blade undersides were matt black, but it’s been quite a while since I looked at one!

It’s probably a bit late now, and you might well have a reference to show otherwise at some point, but the squadron - 22/202/203(R)/78 - emblems were nearly always applied to the lower part of the crew door (‘lower personnel door’) on the port/left side. The marking was simply a big vinyl sticker and was a pig to remove, so it wasn’t uncommon for them to be applied on top of the previous one(s) as the Mk 3 airframe moved between SAR flights. 

Jon

I agree with Jonner’s on the squadron crest, I only ever saw them on the lower personnel door on the port side in real life but I was shown a photo of the crest placed on the fuselage next to the door. 

XZ596 was often on D flight RAF Lossiemouth, iirc she was still in Falkland Islands grey with RHWR antennae when I got there in late 2002. 

Glad to see it looks like you didn’t follow the instructions for the HF aerial mast layout. 

• 1 month later...