P39 DOG 1:48

*change of plan layer on in build*

Hi folks the plan is to wrap up the p-47 in that GB then make a start on this one 

It's part of the Guadalcanal boxing so has the resin wheels.

I'll post a picture of the box and content soon only problem is it's in the loft...

https://goo.gl/images/3A9o3b

That's all for now it may all change anyway 

Joss

Edited by Joss
  • Like 2

welcome aboard Joss....hopefully.

Another of the Dual boxed Eduard models, I suspect the Eduard models will be quite popular in this GB.

A NMF P-39 will be something a bit different and look quite nice.

Hopefully it all goes to plan and you can join us with this build.

• Like 1

Thanks rich I'll probably make a start fairly soon! I've been in the loft and found the kit so picutres to follow very soon.

They are nice kits, the Eduard ones, and as you say I think the nmf will be something about different as I already have an OD and NG one.

All the best

Joss

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Rightio

I've got the kit and made a start on the cockpit. 

here's a picture of the kit

IMG_20180824_231813

I got a photoetch folding tool will try it out on the radio? Box 

IMG_20180830_211546

Folds nicely really like no bend edges.

IMG_20180831_222413

Here's the cockpit painted and ready to close up

IMG_20180905_202206

IMG_20180905_202215

Might dust it up but not sure the description of the marking option said it was a co aircraft but was one of the oldest surviving flown in Guadalcanal. So I guess it would have been clean on the outside but dusty and bit dirty inside?

Joss

• Like 4

gee you've made nice progress, the cockpit looks nice, and I agree there would be a bit of dirty and dust inside. Considering the fields they operated off it would have been a constant to keep them clean inside with all the dust and muddy feet.

Who did you go with the nose wheel well section?

• Like 1

Thanks rich, that's what I was thinking. I've got some dust stuff I'll try on it just to remember less is more... Haha

I used these for the nose weights.

IMG_20180905_210520

They're little stripes which are malliable (I can't spell sorry!)

IMG_20180905_210631

They work well to cram loads in so it shouldn't be a tail sitter.

Cheers

Joss

Edited by Joss
  • Like 2

Great start Joss. About the weightfor the nose. Isn't there one or two in the box?!

My single boxes all have got one. 

Cheers, 

Edited by Arniec
  • Like 1

On 9/7/2018 at 11:20 PM, Arniec said:

Great start Joss. About the weightfor the nose. Isn't there one or two in the box?!

Cheers, 

My Guadalcanal boxing has no weights either. Can you tell us how much the Eduard ones weigh please? That way we can get close before adding the last bits through the nose opening where A5,7 or 8 goes.

Good start on the build Joss. That cockpit and radio box look good.

On 07/09/2018 at 23:20, Arniec said:

Cheers, 

Thanks arniec, I think they stopped putting them in on the guadalcanal unfortunately! Probably due to money saving measures?

Thanks Joss

18 minutes ago, SleeperService said:

My Guadalcanal boxing has no weights either. Can you tell us how much the Eduard ones weigh please? That way we can get close before adding the last bits through the nose opening where A5,7 or 8 goes.

Good start on the build Joss. That cockpit and radio box look good.

Thanks you! I've still got to paint the radio box but it'll be soon hopefully!

I didn't weight mine just stuck the cockpit in inside and kept adding the weights above the nose gear. Then tape the other side on and the low wing and balance it on my finger then just kept adding until I was happy!

Then jammed one last one into the gun bit just for extra measure!

Hope that helps!

Joss

3 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

21 gm or 0.07 oz

now can someone tell me what that'd be for a 1/32nd beast?

Thanks rich that will be helpful for in the future!

Erm I won't be able to help unfortunately as maths is not my strong point! 

Just cram in as much as you can!

Joss

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

21 gm or 0.07 oz

now can someone tell me what that'd be for a 1/32nd beast?

That you for that kind Sir. Rather more than I expected....

2 minutes ago, Joss said:

Thanks you! I've still got to paint the radio box but it'll be soon hopefully!

I didn't weight mine just stuck the cockpit in inside and kept adding the weights above the nose gear. Then tape the other side on and the low wing and balance it on my finger then just kept adding until I was happy!

Then jammed one last one into the gun bit just for extra measure!

Hope that helps!

Joss 

That's a good plan that usually serves me well too. However long spindly nose leg and a LOT behind the main wheels makes me rather nervous. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, trickyrich said:

there's quite a bit of room above the nose wheel well so I should be able to add as much weight as I need.......hopefully!

Hello Rich ... I have an eduard p-39 in similar markings to your second build. I shoved as much weight in the nose as possible and still wound up with a tail sitting shelf queen thats half finished. I recommend you find as many nooks and crannies to shove weight in that you can. 

I suppose what you could do is take the weight for the 1:48 and scale it up? I'm not sure if that would work in the world of physics!

If it ends as a tail sitter you could always epoxy it to a base 🤔🤔

Tell me if I'm being stupid! 

Joss

2 hours ago, trickyrich said:

you're probably not far off with the scaling up of the weight, I have a rough idea of how much I need from doing some quick calc's, around 30 gms should be right.

I think that you'll need more like 40gm actually. The plastic mass increases on the x3 line more or less and the model is 50% bigger. So more plastic acting on a longer arc will need more weight.

• Like 2

More progress 

I decided to get the riveter out so I've done upper wings and fuselage so just the underside to go now.

IMG_20180917_215737

Not very clear but it should so with the bmf!

Oh if you hadn't guessed she's all more or less together

The wheels are off there molding blocks so I test fitted them to her and she is not a tail sitter !!!

IMG_20180919_080546

Exhausts are drilled and I've just got to get the doors painted!

All comments or suggestions welcome

Joss

Edited by Joss
  • Like 4

On 19/09/2018 at 23:29, trickyrich said:

nice progress Joss, it's aways a relief when she sits on all three wheels!!!

the riveting looks great.

Thanks rich much appreciated! Yes it was abit tense seeing if she would stand or not but happily she did!

On 20/09/2018 at 00:00, dnl42 said:

Nice work!

BTW, the nose gear is not the concern when adding weight to avoid a tail-sitter. It's the MLG, which carries most of the model's weight, that you need to worry about.

Thanks dnl That makes sense as very little weight is on the nose! I built one a few years ago and the legs are still stand so they seem to be strong enough!

A little question to anyone who may be reading this she's going to be nmf minus antiglare so the question is what colour would here land gear be od? nd? Or nmf? Any help would be much appreciated all the best 

Joss

Right never mind the last question as I had just sprayed her and she looked a pile of 💩!! I still don't like natural metal finishes. So seeing as I like to persevere I've decided to paint her as dog.

2018-09-27_04-00-29

And cover up all those mistakes ;)

She has the same armerment as daisy Mae so yeah 

Thanks for looking!

Joss

• Like 2