Cold War Shield

jaw

I have just received volume 3 of Roger Lindsay's magnum opus Cold War Shield. This volume covers the Swift, Javelin , Hunter and early Lightning in RAF service. A bit expensive but what a wonderful book - truly excellent and includes photos of aircraft in second line service, such as a Pioneer with 118 Sqdn.  Highly recommended. Wouldn't  a 1/48 model of a Pioneer - and Twin Pioneer be wonderful?

John

• Like 2

Jaw, I took a look at this at a recent show, and compared to the previous 2 volumes thought the quality of the paper and some of the photo reproductions were poorer in this new volume. Can you comment if yours is similar? It’s a large financial outlay...!

thanks

Hi ForestFan,

I have just compared vol2 to vol3 and can see no major differences, although the paper in vol 3 may be more matt than in vol 2. The quality of paper seems much the same, and as far as I can see the photos in vol 3 are OK. The only comment I would make are that some of the colour photos  in the Flying Colours section are less than good, but the author has commented that age has affected the quality and colour fastness of some of the photos such as the photo of a 34 Sqdn Hunter F5, but hopes that this will not detract from their rarity and appeal. I can live with this and think that the book is excellent given the amount of information in it. Yes it is a large financial outlay but well worth it.

John

• Like 1

I concur with Jaw, I've just done a swift, no pun intend comparison with my other two volumes. As  he says some of the photos are poor, not the way they are reproduced, but the originals,  but I'd rather have poor photos than none.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Just received my copy today. Volume 3 is every bit as impressive and authoritative as Volumes 1 and 2 and I can't recommend it highly enough for anyone with an interest in the markings and colour schemes of the early RAF jets. Most of these photos have never before been published, and although some have inevitably deteriorated with age, they are more than made up for in rarity value. The amount of research the author has put in over several decades is simply remarkable. I'm sure this series of books will be the most comprehensive and useful guides on this subject that have, or will ever be produced. A real gold mine for post war RAF modellers and historians alike.  Truly a labour of love and well worth every penny.

Mark

• Like 2

Aye - whats said above.  Not cheap but worth the financial investment.  I found stuff in them that I had not read anywhere else.  That last comment of course comes with the caveat that I may not be reading the right stuff otherwise.  I have to say I have not regretted buying all three volumes so far.  Hopefully a volume 4 to come to round things off 

Thanks for the endorsement. I do have Vol's 1 & 2 however for some reason have held off on 3. I think I'd better place an order and unravel it this Christmas - and Santa (if your listening) a new Airfix Hunter wouldn't be too much to ask for as well, would it? 

Cheers.. Dave 

40 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

....................... and Santa (if your listening) a new Airfix Hunter wouldn't be too much to ask for as well, would it? 

Cheers.. Dave 

Dave

that will be the 1/24 scale one Airfix are announcing at Telford then will it? :wicked:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JohnT said:

Dave

that will be the 1/24 scale one Airfix are announcing at Telford then will it? :wicked:

Of Course it is, even better it'll be of the F.4 variety with decal options for all RAFG squadrons!

Now either I've just woken up or have had too much to drunk - or possibly even both.

Cheers.. Dave

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have also just received  Vol.3 of the above esteemed book series and I felt that it might be to the advantage of many others to have their attention drawn to this superb reference. Roger Lindsay is a self confessed aviation addict and it certainly shows in his writings. Cold War Shield aims to provide intricate reference material on the RAF and Fighter Command in particular. A narrow 10 year band is covered between 1950-1960. Think of any aspect of this subject and you will find it here. Extensive detailed information on squadrons, aircraft, RAF organisationand airfields together with  supporting photo evidence, colour artwork and profiles of squadron markings and aircraft, many of which appear again and again within Britmodeller forums.

Vol.1 homes in on Spitfire, Tempest, Hornet, Mossie and all variants of the Meteor.
Vol.2 gives us Vampire, Venom and the Sabre.
Vol.3 covers Swift, Hunter, Javelin and early Lightning operations.
In addition each volume is packed chock full of information on supporting areas too, including training aircraft and units etc.

Many of the photos are apparently previously unpublished. There are smashing pieces of artwork of various aircraft too, my current favourite is of an OCU Lightning F.1 steaming down the runway at Middleton St George at nought feet with full reheat and shimmering shockwaves - made the hairs stand up on the back of my head (what few remain). The downside of CWS is that you will require sturdy bookshelves - these books each approach 2kg in weight.  How I ever modelled  the postwar period without these books gives me the colliwobbles. Why not treat yourself to a set with your Chrissy pressy money from that maiden aunt! Roger Lindsay has a website which you can order from at :  http://www.coldwarshield.co.uk/index.html
Vol.2 looks to be out of stock but I'm sure that with enough demand, a reprint will happen. If you buy one reference  then this will not disappoint. Highly recommended!

• 2 years later...

I have been down to The Aviation Bookshop in Tunbridge Wells and saw all 3 volumes there, but only a very few. I do not know the price but if you are interested in RAF squadrons and aircraft of the Cold War period they are a must so contact the bookshop.

Regards

Robert

2 hours ago, Robert said:

I have been down to The Aviation Bookshop in Tunbridge Wells and saw all 3 volumes there, but only a very few. I do not know the price but if you are interested in RAF squadrons and aircraft of the Cold War period they are a must so contact the bookshop.

Just had a look - £95 per volume unfortunately.

On 8/12/2021 at 6:37 PM, Des said:

Just had a look - £95 per volume unfortunately.

I bought Volumes 1 and 2 earlier this year from the CWS website and only paid £75 per volume and volume 3 will be on order next month. I've just checked on the site and they are still available in the UK for £75 per volume and £95 for the rest of the world. 

Initially, I had waited too long to get volume 1 and it went out of print. I contacted Roger Lindsay a couple of years ago and at the time he said that with sufficient interest, there may be a reprint. Fast forward to this year, a casual glance at the website revealed that volume 1 was indeed back in print and was duly ordered. 

Paying £75 for a single book is far more than I've ever paid before, but the two volumes I've got are worth every penny. 

On a sad note, when I placed my orders, I was informed that the author, Roger Lindsay had sadly passed away bit his son Richard was now running the business and a thoroughly nice chap he is too. 

• Like 3

@cngaero Sadly, Roger passed away in late September / early October 2019 after losing his fight with ill health.

The Gentleman was, I'm glad to say a member of the North Riding Club, sadly he only managed a few visits.

He knew the score, that's why there was never a Volume IV planned, as he knew he'd never get it finished.

Paul (Sec.) North Riding

• Thanks 1