Jump to content
This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Vlad

1/144 F-4 Phantom?

Recommended Posts

I've been researching this subject on a whim recently and the results are disappointing to say the least.

 

I gather Platz is the best, but it's marked as "discontinued" on HLJ and out of stock basically everywhere else. Plus it would be expensive even if I were to find somewhere it was actually available to buy.

 

From there it drops to the other end of the scale, with the ancient Academy and Revell ones that just look terrible.

 

Is there really no sensible middle option on the market for such a famous aircraft? I was hoping for something of a similar quality and price point as Revell's new-ish F-14A or recent Trumpeter offerings.

 

I deliberately didn't mention a version as I'm interested in several, notably E, J and K. Though I imagine given the lack of kits of the USN versions in this scale, the RN version is laughably unlikely to exist.

Edited by Vlad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is one manufaturer doing 1/144th resin kits, can't remember who immediately. These look nice with etched detail parts.

I can provide more details this weekend if needed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is the Arii ex LS E which is generally considered hugely superior to the Crown/Revell/Academy. It used to be easily and quite cheaply available directly from Japan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Academy kit is Phantom-ish. Some filling, filing, scribing, and new splitter plates helped it a little. As did some shaping of the canopy to suggest a more correct shape. Losing the LG with an in-flight display helped a lot!

f-4f-mounted0.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tempestfan said:

There is the Arii ex LS E which is generally considered hugely superior to the Crown/Revell/Academy. It used to be easily and quite cheaply available directly from Japan.

 

Hmm... the Arii looks somewhat better than the others, but also seems to be out of stock at all the usual suspects.

 

58 minutes ago, dnl42 said:

The Academy kit is Phantom-ish. Some filling, filing, scribing, and new splitter plates helped it a little. As did some shaping of the canopy to suggest a more correct shape. Losing the LG with an in-flight display helped a lot!

 

You've done rather well with that one there! Yes, getting a pleasing result is do-able but sounds like more effort than it's worth.

 

I might have to Plan B this and resort to 1/72...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Vlad said:

I've been researching this subject on a whim recently and the results are disappointing to say the least.

 

I gather Platz is the best, but it's marked as "discontinued" on HLJ and out of stock basically everywhere else. Plus it would be expensive even if I were to find somewhere it was actually available to buy.

 

From there it drops to the other end of the scale, with the ancient Academy and Revell ones that just look terrible.

 

Is there really no sensible middle option on the market for such a famous aircraft? I was hoping for something of a similar quality and price point as Revell's new-ish F-14A or recent Trumpeter offerings.

 

I deliberately didn't mention a version as I'm interested in several, notably E, J and K. Though I imagine given the lack of kits of the USN versions in this scale, the RN version is laughably unlikely to exist.

 

What about http://www.whirlybirdmodels.com/docs/pricelist.pdf?

Regards

Tim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a quick look on plazajapan, at least one boxing seems to be in stock. Not as cheap as I thought and as many of the other Arii kits, however... You could even this out a bit if you also order one of the P-3s, which are usually described as a gem. 😉

One caveat here, Arii also has some of the Otaki moulds (e.g. „1/144“ F-105, plus the 48th kits). Otaki also did a nominally 144 F/4E IIRC, and I think that one was worse than the Crown/Revell. But I trust the one in question is the LS. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This one? I haven't looked in the box so know nothing about it's accuracy but thought I'd throw it out there.

I did look into getting the Platz kit for someone recently but the trade price was more than the retail price of a 1/72 scale Phantom so decided against that as no-one is going to pay that kind of money for 1/144.

 

https://www.blackmikemodels.co.uk/products/minicraft-1-144-mcdd-f-4e-phantom

 

Duncan B

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the input guys, but honestly I'm not warming up to any of the variations of the old molds. And when the only good ones are hard to find and/or cost more than the 1/72... well, I am worried about shelf space and the risk of this turning from a one-off "whim" to a full blown collection, but it seems 1/72 is the scale to be in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tomytec pre-painted kits are the way to go, but they are very expensive. Truly amazing accuracy and engineering though and great fun to put together over a couple of hours

 

andy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Truro Model Builder said:

I am surprised that Revell have not looked to tool up an F-4E/F or RF-4E in 1/144, with the Luftwaffe connection.

 

Not sure I would trust them to new tool it instead of rehashing their old F-4G with new decals while ignoring the actual differences between the types.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

    hi ALL,

 

                    I ordered and recieved a "Limited Edition"  "NEW ? " 1/144 F-4J by  SOVA-M ( Ukraine ) from  HOBBY SEARCH... I think ? Catograph

                   a bit expensive and not a Twin Kit.

                   Roolley good Instructione' and Artwork on Box (yeah ! yeah ! I know ), Decograph Deeecalz

               .., a bit ruff around the edges, but it's all there .

 

                                                                                cheery  "Modellin' "mumbas !

 

                                                                                                     Geoff

                                                                                                    F.T.G. 3156

                    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...