Academy 1/72nd Ventura GR.Mk.V, 22 Sqn. SAAF Gibraltar 1944-45,......again!

I` had been wanting to build a Ventura GR.Mk.V (PV-1) from 22 Sqn, SAAF based at Gibraltar for some time but when it came to decals, there were none, so I hand painted my own,....which wasn`t the best! The model ended up being badly damaged but when DK Decals released a sheet with the very decals that I wanted (after a bit of help with references from myself!) I decided to dig out the damaged model, repair it, repaint it and here it is.

It wears the 22 Sqn SAAF emblem featuring the units `Little Fella' wasp on a torpedo insignia and the factory applied Mickey Mouse artwork,...both on the rear fuselage. The standard US Navy tri colour scheme was applied using a rattle can spay of white for the undersides and hand brushing Aeromaster Intermediate Blue & Polly Scale Sea Bue on the sides and upper surfaces respectively. The RAF & Commonwealth forces in the Med generally removed the rubber de icer boots from the leading edges of the Ventura`s wings and tail as the rubber was said to deteriorate rapidly in the strong sunlight and salt laden atmosphere and the bare metal surfaces underneath were roughly overpainted .

One characteristic of South African based Ventura`s (22 Sqn had flown from South Africa up to Gib) was the modification of the air intakes above the engines, which led to a bump above a smaller intake further forward and I`ve had a go at replicating this here. Maybe it was a South African modification made to the Vokes tropical filter housing fitted to most of the Ventura`s delivered to the British in the Middle East?

And here is the finished model;

DSCF4816_NEWDSCF4817_NEW

DSCF4826_NEWDSCF4832_NEWDSCF4824_NEWDSCF4821_NEWDSCF4825_NEW

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 42
  • Thanks 1

A great rendition with a beautifully applied paint finish, as always.  Dare I say it but this scheme suits RAF (or in this case SAAF) roundels even more than stars'n'bars. Very interesting about the possible Vokes filter mod btw.

• Like 1

Thanks for your kind remarks everybody,.... yes I like the Ventura in roundels too,... but then I am very biased! 

Cheers

Tony

3 hours ago, Seahawk said:

Lovely job as ever, Tony.

Could you talk us through what you did with the cowling flaps to improve on the virtually non-existent ones in the Academy kit? 

Cheers,... glad you like it mate,.......I basically re scribed them using a craft knife,...... but I may have added too many cooling gills!  I also scraped some plastic away from the rear of the gills to give them a bit of depth.

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 1

That's beautifully done!

The extra effort on the upper intakes has really come off well.

Thanks for those tidbits on the SAAF and Mediterranean planes - always cool to learn new details.

:goodjob:

• Like 1