1/48th P-39, Italian Air Force.

Hiya Folks,

I had this planned, but having just returned from Italy to find this GB almost ready to go,....... I`ve decided to build an Italian Airacobra here using the Eduard kit and Tauro decals! Pics to follow; 

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 3

Hiya Folks,

There are two different Italian P-39`s that I would like to build, a P-39N with yellow stripes and also a P-39Q with under wing gondola guns,...... so I might have a go at both of them here, using these kits;

DSCF4833

DSCF4836

And this sheet plus the spares box;

DSCF4835

Although this could change as I go on,...... as I also want to build an RAAF & USAAF aircraft too,....... 

Cheers,

Tony

• Like 4

Cheers Rich,...... yeah that is my saying too,.... which is probably why the house is bursting at the seams,..haha!!

Right,.... I`ve pre painted the parts on the sprues,...... to speed things up I`ve used rattle cans for the basic colours,...... Humbrol Grass Green for Interior Green and then Tamiya black for the props, wheels, exhausts etc,....... I then brush painted them to bring out the detail and gave them a watercolour wash;

DSCF4834

Cheers

Tony

• Like 6

gee you're off the a quick start, and that's actually a clever idea to do some of the basic painting first!

I did have a wee laugh when I saw the sprue like that, I spent a few minutes yesterday cutting up the sprue of mine removing all the bit not required, now have a pile the looks the same minus paint! :D

• Like 1

Cheers Rich,...... yes I always have a pre building painting session,..... it makes things easier and allows the construction to flow along quicker.

Although I`m building two models here,..... as they are basically the same kit I won`t double up on the photos, especially the construction pic`s,.... unless there is a difference in the models.

The cockpit has been assembled and weathered with the kits weight in place,.. unfortunately the weight from one of the models was missing so I used lead weights instead;

DSCF4878

This is the earlier variant, but you can see the flashed over holes in the lower wing which help to locate the gun gondola`s on the P-39Q. The air intakes have been fitted in the wing roots and the tops of the wheel well`s are in place too,...... ready to fit the upper wing parts after the flashed over gun ports have been opened in the leading edges.

DSCF4877

Further into construction, here is the P-39Q with the fuselage joined, the wings assembled and the gun gondola`s in place under the wings.

DSCF4876

So that is it for now,..... I`ll be attaching the wings and tailplanes next,

Cheers,

Tony 

• Like 6

gee you are making progress in this one or two as well.

As I have a duo set as well I'm toying with the idea of building the two as the same time, guess it won't add too much extra time to the build.

• Like 1

Cheers Rich,..... yup building two together is no problem,.... here are my two with the airframes all but complete;

DSCF4883

Cheers

Tony

• Like 6

wow that is quick, I need to be like that at the moment!

Did you have any trouble with fitting the nose gear wheel well parts together? I'm doing things a bit different (as per normal) and building up the entire cockpit unit and nose wheel well bay first before fitting them to the fuselage, figured painting will be easier, and noticed how poorly this fitted. I wondered you had had similar issues.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, trickyrich said:

wow that is quick, I need to be like that at the moment!

Did you have any trouble with fitting the nose gear wheel well parts together? I'm doing things a bit different (as per normal) and building up the entire cockpit unit and nose wheel well bay first before fitting them to the fuselage, figured painting will be easier, and noticed how poorly this fitted. I wondered you had had similar issues.

I know what you mean about the nose wheel bay,..... I inserted some cardboard wedges inside the bay to keep the bay walls open. As for speed,.....I`ve ground to a halt due to my back playing up,....which rules out the next stage,......sanding! 

54 minutes ago, Franz75 said:

Tony as usual working very quick and surprising us  with unusual rear plane markings. 😁 

Cheers Franz,..... I do try to surprise people at times lol

All the best

Tony

• Sad 1