Now that's a bright Thud - F-105D 58-1155 (D-10) Trumpeter 1/72

10 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Thanks Terry. I'm pleased you could "call in" to the thread :). I am very pleased with how she turned. I learned a bit along the way, which is part of the fun. I'm nervous about any model show - never done it. How? What's involved? Which event? etc....... If I got over those initial apprehensions I may well do it :).i may then at least meet some of your chaps :).

Martin

You should bite the bullet Martin and try one out. I first went to Telford about 7 years ago and have been ever since. I also joined my local IPMS club 2 years ago and have done many local shows. Shows for me are one of the great positives of the hobby and as you say you meet many like minded folk. I've only been active on here this year so im hoping to meet some BM folk at this next Telford. Thoroughly recommend it!

Terry

We'll, Terry, maybe I will. I'll look up the IPMS and get an idea of local and national activities. Maybe I can then work towards attending an event. I have a lot to learn and would surely benefit from it as well as chinwagging with everyone.

Martin

• Like 1

On 27 August 2018 at 1:06 AM, 72modeler said:

Martin,

Just re-discovered your post...My eyes, my eyes! Had to put my AF-issue aviator sunglasses on to type this. She turned our great! What an awesome Thud! You and Giorgio make a great team- what are you two cooking up next? A shame the armament museum didn't put her back in her original colors! Beautiful model, my friend!

Mike

Hey Mike!

I'm really glad you called in :). I hope the retinas have settled down now. I can't speak for Giorgio but I am intent on getting my "sideline" Dominican F-47 done as well as the next two Thuds. With the latter I am at the dull rivet filling and strengthening plate removal stage :(. I hope I bet done soon! By then I hope Caracal will have released the FJ-3 decal sets and I can then get at least one of my Furies done :). How about you? 

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner

21 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

By then I hope Caracal will have released the FJ-3 decal sets and I can then get at least one of my Furies done :). How about you? 

@72modeler although in my normal style I wont do the airframe in the set. i have a plan ;)

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner

Thanks, mate. I believe in research being part of the build. I then try to represent that research as best as I can.  Sometimes, as in this case, I take what I find and build the best compromise. Of D-10 I found 2 colour and three B&W images only. I contacted the holders of the very little archive that still exists - much was deliberatly destroyed. Each image had differences. For example, two shots showed the tail code “D-10” and the others didn’t. Two had a NMF rudder and three had solid colour. One had an orange pitot while three had the red and white... etc ....

For Mr Toad - my next project - i have bought and consulted many books, used Youtube stills,  contacted archivists and been in contact with official USAF records holders. 

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner

On ‎8‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 12:55 PM, RidgeRunner said:

@72modeler although in my normal style I wont do the airframe in the set. i have a plan ;)

Martin

Uh, oh....methinks another dayglo/sea blue/gull grey weenie cooker is in the works! 😎

Mike

Hi Mike! I’m led to believe that the Caracal set will include a China Lake option. That puts paid to my initial plan so I’m changing tack slightly. Still a FJ-3D, though ;) 

Edited by RidgeRunner

• 4 months later...
On 24 January 2019 at 4:13 AM, corsaircorp said:

Real good one Martin !!

Eye catcher for sure !:gobsmacked:

Congratulations !

FJ-3 ?? Come on !

Sincerely.

CC

Thanks CC. 

Yes, I have two FJ-3s in the pile and should really get to starting at least one soon. It will be a FJ-3D. Meanwhile I juggle my two current WIPs with general life stuff. Sadly there just isn't enough available time for modelling any more than my current level......

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 1

Hello Martin,

It's though but IRL Always win !

I'll wait for the FJ-3

I'll start a double build, an Esci FJ-3 modified or corrected

There was a fine thread from Jon kunac about it !

And an F-86 for my Korean serie.

Promised to be funny too

So let me know when you start it, I'll follow for sure !

sincerely.

CC