Now that's a bright Thud - F-105D 58-1155 (D-10) Trumpeter 1/72

hello Ridge,

Absolutely top-notch. Fabulous paint scheme.

As mentioned above, bring it to Telford. It will, besides the contest, please hundreds of modelers. 

Regards, Orion.

Hi Orion,

Thanks for your encouraging comments. Sadly, and I’ve never attended Telford, it is on across my 60th birthday weekend and I don't think Mrs RidgeRunner would view it well if I sidelined her plans :( .

Martin

• Confused 1

Looking great Martin, the time spent on this scheme was sure worth it !

It's hard to think of a more colorful subject and she sure looks very different from what comes to mind when thinking of the F-105. Really a unique subject and very well executed

5 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Superb result Martin!

She really is a stunner, and not just because of the (very) bright colours.

I would love to see her in the flesh if you do decide to take her to model shows, and you really should think about entering her in a competition as she is excellent.

Thanks MM :). I appreciate everyone’s comments. It makes the long slog more bearable. ;)

Well, I might get to a show but not Telford, as I’ve explained elsewhere. 

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 1

Thanks Giorgio! You know you played a part in her too :). I am very pleased with her. Now the F-47 is in the pakntshop and needs almost as many painting/masking events! ;)

Martin

Hi CCF! Thanks for that. I have another colourful Thud in the build schedule. Watch this space. In fact I’m now tempted to build a F from Trumper G in NMF. I have a plan ;)

so much to do - so little time! 

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner

To be fair it did say in the title "Now that's a bright Thud" but as I scrolled down it still burnt my eyes!

Great stuff, love it as I am a fan of out of the ordinary colour schemes.

Pat

3 hours ago, patjb said:

Great stuff, love it as I am a fan of out of the ordinary colour schemes.

Me too, Pat. Practically everything I have built has used non-box and non-afternarket decals. It works at times but sometjmes not quite! ;)

Martin

Martin, i don't think F-105s get more colourful than that.

Its a brilliant build, and i found all of the detail about the paint job interesting reading.

One thing i was wondering about- I never looked very closely at the Trumpeter kit because i always assumed it had the "conical" profile to the nose and radome, just like the 72nd scale Revell F-105D. However, looking at the finished model from some angles, the nose seems to have more of an ogival shape. Did you compare this nose to the Revell, and did you see a difference?

You also mentioned you had plans to do an F-105B, and you got a nose from another source. Do you have any opinions on the Hasegawa F-105B or the very old Monogram one??

Once again, great job. A feast for the eyes.....if you have sunglasses on.

-d-

Hi Dave!

It's a good point that you've made about the cross-section of the Hasegawa nose. I haven't checked :(. I will do so and report back. My hope is that if it isn't a good match that I can give enough of a trim to bring it under control ;).

Thanks for your kind comments. Much appreciated.

Martin

9 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Hi Dave!

It's a good point that you've made about the cross-section of the Hasegawa nose. I haven't checked :(. I will do so and report back. My hope is that if it isn't a good match that I can give enough of a trim to bring it under control ;).

Thanks for your kind comments. Much appreciated.

Martin

Hi Again Dave, 

I can can confirm that the Hasegawa B is ogival and matches the Trump very well, although it lacks some detail. 

Martin

Martin, I just caught up with this today.

Having watched the WIP which I thoroughly enjoyed, seeing the finished model is a real treat. It looks absolutely superb, and one of the nicest looking model Thuds I have seen. Makes a real change from all silver or vietnam camo machines. The finish is top notch. I see you are unable to get to Telford, but if ever you do get to a show down south, I'd love to see it for real.

An absolutely stunning result.

Cheers

Terry

Thanks Terry. I'm pleased you could "call in" to the thread :). I am very pleased with how she turned. I learned a bit along the way, which is part of the fun. I'm nervous about any model show - never done it. How? What's involved? Which event? etc....... If I got over those initial apprehensions I may well do it :).i may then at least meet some of your chaps :).

Martin

• Like 1

Martin,

Just re-discovered your post...My eyes, my eyes! Had to put my AF-issue aviator sunglasses on to type this. She turned out great! What an awesome Thud! You and Giorgio make a great team- what are you two cooking up next? A shame the armament museum didn't put her back in her original colors! Beautiful model, my friend!

Mike

Edited by 72modeler
corrected spelling