1/48 MPM P-63C King Cobra

Hi guys,

Here is my build of the 1/48 P-63C King Cobra from MPM. This is already a started build, but not beyond the 25% mark.

I started to build this I think 8 years ago, so it was a shelf queen.  After the opening I saw why, the vac canopie is yellowed. But I will still build it as it is a great opportunity to do now.

Here are the pictures. There is no box art, as I have lost the box long time ago and the kit is in another easier box to use.

IMG_4547

the started cockpit.

IMG_4548

the yellowed canopies

IMG_4549

The decals and the instructions

IMG_4550IMG_4551

As you can see there is also a decal sheet and instructions for a F version in the box. This also has a resin tail for it.

Cheers,

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Good luck with this one Arnold.

Are you going to build the French version from Indochina?

No, I think I am going with the Russian version. I am not fond of metal coats and all the polishing etc to get the model up to that standard. I want to finish it now, so that I have a shelf queen less. But maybee I will change my mind during the build.

Cheers,

• Like 1

Welcome again Arnold with what I think may be the first Kingcobra of the build.

When you first mentioned this model to me I thought you 'd decided to join me on the dark side with a resin beast, but I forgot they plastic as well.

Gosh "Shelf Queens"...... I think we all have a few of those...:whistle:

It'll be interesting to see what you do with her, Begemot have a nice set of decals for her which look to cover just about every P-63 that was built!

Good luck with the build, it'll be great to see what you do with her and for her to be finally finished.

• Like 2

Those decals do look interesting. I might get me some. 

I was yesterday at the aviationstore at Schiphol. Bought some things for the P-39, And what did I forgot to look for. The vac form canopy for this one. duh:wall:

I think I will do it with this one.

I was also at a meeting of the IPMS near there and found a 1/96 Saturn V rocket from Revell.:D

Cheers,

• Like 3

I have started to put some more stuff in the cockpit. It is now nearly ready to get a coat of paint. 

IMG_4566IMG_4565

I will also use a resin seat with seatbelts from a P-39. This isn't totally correct, but much better than the seat that is in the box.

IMG_4568

I have also been working on the exhausts. As the ones in the kit have very little detail have I drilled out the plates for the exhausts and I blanked these of from the back, so the left over ones from a Eduard kit will fit.

IMG_4555IMG_4553

after cleaning up I placed the Eduard ones. That looks a lot better.

IMG_4556

I also made the gunports for the .50's in the nose. There is nothing in the kit for this.

IMG_4560

I also replaced the cannon tube. This was on most Russian cobra's with a extension, where there could be placed  a starter on a truck for cold weather. I tried to make that and it isn't perfect.

IMG_4562

Here are also some pictures of the wings. I already had made some interior for the wheelbays, as there is nothing in the kit.

IMG_4557IMG_4558

That is it for now.

Cheers,

Edited by Arniec
  • Like 4

gee you have been busy! There's some nice detail in the cockpit area, will look good painted up. 

Lucky you had replacement exhausts, the kit ones looked pretty poor.

• Like 1

I have done some more work. The wings and stabilizers are now on. Still need to paint the cockpit, but first I still need to clean up the seam on the fuselage.

Here are some pictures.

The fuselage closed up with some extra help to keep it together.

IMG_4569

Here is the wing on. There was some small difficulties with putting it on, but I managed.

IMG_4571

Here I made some holes in the stabilizers and fuselage, so I could put a plastic rod thrue and get a better joint. 

IMG_4570

I forgot to take a picture with the rod in. :doh:

Here is the result and how far she is now.

IMG_4572

That is it for now.

Cheers,

• Like 8

On 31 augustus 2018 at 5:24 AM, trickyrich said:

hmmm won't the cockpit be harder to paint like this?

Yes it does, but I will manage as the doors aren't placed jet.  I will do black first and try to get it everywhere and then I will five it the green interior color. 

Cheers,

I have done some painting on the P-39, so it was easy to give this one a coat of paint as well. 

Here are some pictures.

IMG_4585IMG_4586IMG_4587IMG_4589

Now it needs to be detail painted. 

Cheers,

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hi guys,

It took me some time to do something at the model.But I have done some work this morning. I cleaned up the seams and also placed the vac form canopie.

It wasn't a perfect fit, but good enough. There were some small gaps and I filled that with wood glue. Now it needs to dry, before I can go further.

Here is a picture.

IMG_4661

That is it for now.

Cheers,

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if I will finish this one on time. I have lost a bit of my mojo at the moment.

I also go at the end of the week to England and don't have any model time.This also counts for my other build here.

Maybee as I come back from Telford that I am reloaded and want to model.

I have also started a new build in the B-17 GB to get it back with a easy build.

Sorry Guys. 

Cheers,