Thunderbirds C-54D Skymaster

Plastic Hacker

Looking at the photo being used by Revell to illustrate the reissue of their C-54 in Thunderbirds markings, I note an extra area of dark blue under the fuselage behind the red/white/blue scallops. I assume this is what Dave Howley was referring to in his Thunderbird feature in Scale Aircraft Modelling (28/9, Nov. 2006) "...one photograph suggests that the 'Thunderbird' motif may have been applied to the under surface in 1960, following its application to the F-100C."

Link to Revell photo-  http://www.kitreviewsonline.de/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/Revell-03920-C54D-Thunderbirds-PLATINUM-LIMITED-EDITION-c-Via-Adrian-Balch.jpg

Does anyone have any more evidence?

Alan.

The Replica in Scale special mag on the Thunderbirds; the  page depicting the C-54 scheme does not show a bird motif on the belly, nor does it mention the extra blue on the belly in your  photo  The photo in the special shows a C-54 with no de-ice boots, and a differing font for the a/c number.

good luck in your search

Tony

The book "Diamonds in the Sky" by Carol Knotts and Pete Moore is a pictorial history of the Thunderbirds published in 1978 (25th Anniversary).

On page 142 there is a photo of the C-54 in formation with 4 F-100s - taken from below the formation. What you are seeing in the point of the middle scallop extending rearwards to about level with the trailing edge of the wing. There is no other Thunderbird marking on the underside. Wingtips are red/white /blue with standard star and bar and USAF markings. 

There is also a picture of the C-54 with a white radome.

One picture shows it with the name T/Sgt Tom Jones in a box in gothic print on the white area just below and in front of the starboard pilot's window.

No serial numbers I'm afraid

I assume you know it was named "City of Las Vegas"?

EDIT:

Having had another look at the photo posted above and at a photo in my book taken from a similar angle I note these differences.

1) in the Adrian Balch photo there is no block of flags whereas the one in "Diamonds in the Sky" has the block on the silver area on the fuselage just in front of the inner port engine.

2) in Adrian's photo the a/c is named City of Las Vegas - my picture has no name in that position above the cheat line - there also appears to be a rectangle awaiting a name in Adrian's picture.

3) I see now the additional blue referred to in the picture posted above and note that is appears to have a white outline not visible in any of the pictures I have - so maybe there is an additional marking.

I'd suggest getting in touch with Adrian Balch - he's AWB on UKAR - as he has published books on the colour schemes of aerobatic teams; you could also contact the SIGs (Special Interest Groups) for USAF and Aerobatic Teams through the IPMS (UK) site.

Edited by iainpeden
Additional information
  • Like 1

On 8/22/2018 at 10:11 AM, iainpeden said:

The book "Diamonds in the Sky" by Carol Knotts and Pete Moore is a pictorial history of the Thunderbirds published in 1978 (25th Anniversary).

On page 142 there is a photo of the C-54 in formation with 4 F-100s - taken from below the formation. What you are seeing in the point of the middle scallop extending rearwards to about level with the trailing edge of the wing. There is no other Thunderbird marking on the underside. Wingtips are red/white /blue with standard star and bar and USAF markings. 

There is also a picture of the C-54 with a white radome.

One picture shows it with the name T/Sgt Tom Jones in a box in gothic print on the white area just below and in front of the starboard pilot's window.

No serial numbers I'm afraid

I assume you know it was named "City of Las Vegas"?

EDIT:

Having had another look at the photo posted above and at a photo in my book taken from a similar angle I note these differences.

1) in the Adrian Balch photo there is no block of flags whereas the one in "Diamonds in the Sky" has the block on the silver area on the fuselage just in front of the inner port engine.

2) in Adrian's photo the a/c is named City of Las Vegas - my picture has no name in that position above the cheat line - there also appears to be a rectangle awaiting a name in Adrian's picture.

3) I see now the additional blue referred to in the picture posted above and note that is appears to have a white outline not visible in any of the pictures I have - so maybe there is an additional marking.

I'd suggest getting in touch with Adrian Balch - he's AWB on UKAR - as he has published books on the colour schemes of aerobatic teams; you could also contact the SIGs (Special Interest Groups) for USAF and Aerobatic Teams through the IPMS (UK) site.

Adrian - here. All comments agreed with, thanks for that Ian. I also have the "Diamond in the Sky" book and can't add anything other than what you have said. Indeed the scheme did vary slightly as markings were added, but it never had the full 'Thunderbird' painted underneath.   

Thanks for all the information and ideas gents, much obliged. With the blue scallop going back towards the wing t/e it would seem that both Caracal and Warbird decal sheets (and Dave Howley's drawing) are wrong on that point.

Thanks again,

Alan.