Poseidon MRA Mk.1

GMK

6 minutes ago, Roland Pulfrew said:

Poseidon #5 named - Fulmar

HMS Fulmar being the ship name for RNAS Lossiemouth. Nice nod to the history of the base from which the fleet will be operating.

Mark.

• Like 2

The naming is very scattergun. So far we have:

Pride of Moray

City of Elgin

Terence Bulloch DSO* DFC*

Fulmar

Why not name them all after Coastal Command pilots, in the way that VC10s were named after RAF Victoria Cross winners? At this rate I expect Queen Elizabeth II, Spirit of Nimrod, Growler and Lusty Lindy to be the next names announced. Or anything thought up at random.

Edited by Truro Model Builder
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Truro Model Builder said:

The naming is very scattergun. So far we have:

Pride of Moray

City of Elgin

Terence Bulloch DSO* DFC*

Fulmar

Why not name them all after Coastal Command pilots, in the way that VC10s were named after RAF Victoria Cross winners? At this rate I expect Queen Elizabeth II, Spirit of Nimrod, Growler and Lusty Lindy to be the next names announced. Or anything thought up at random.

Hmm lusty Lindy...think I've met her😁😁

Edited by junglierating
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, Truro Model Builder said:

I'm not denying the appropriateness (though I do wonder about Fulmar), but there is no consistency in the styling or subject. Pride of. City of. They can do much better.

I think it's great....HMS FULMAR/RNAS LOSSIEMOUTH....Deference to the senior service....Last time I was in Egin I swear people hadn't even realised the Navy had left....72 wasnt it or there abouts?

• 1 month later...
14 hours ago, Roland Pulfrew said:

Spirit of Reykjavik, Poseidon MRA1 #4 arrived at RAF Lossiemouth yesterday. 5 named, 4 to go. Shot taken by RAF Lossiemouth with the  new P8 squadrons, hangar and engineering facility in the background.

50564860078_b45722e9f4_b.jpg

Sod that im thinking top runs ashore in Reykjavik 😁

• Like 1

On 11/8/2020 at 1:54 PM, Team Aer Lingus said:

There is a P-8 conversion set using S&M conversion set & draw decals currently on eBay just had a peek at it myself 

Scratchaeronautics have done a1/144 Poseidon - and also an E7 Wedgetail! They look pretty good to me.

John

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

The 6th Poseidon MRA1 named:

ZP806 Naming Press Release

To mark the Bailiwick of Guernsey’s 76th ‘Liberation Day’, the Royal Air Force is honoured to announce that the UK’s sixth Poseidon MRA Mk1 Maritime Patrol Aircraft, ZP 806, will be known as ‘Guernsey’s Reply’ to honour the close bond between 201 Squadron, the island of Guernsey and Flight Lieutenant Herbert Machon OBE.

‘Herbie’ Machon left his home in Guernsey shortly before the German occupation during WWII and joined the British Military. He was destined to fly Spitfires in the RAF and, in honour and memory of his countrymen living under occupation, he named his Mk XVI Spitfire “Guernsey’s Reply”. Herbie sadly passed away in 2004 and 201 Squadron personnel had the privilege of acting as pall bearers at his funeral.

When 201 Squadron was disbanded in 2011, it was the last maritime squadron to retain a local affiliation and carried the nickname 'Guernsey's Own' commemorating a link forged in the challenging days just before the Second World War. It was an affiliation under the Municipal Liaison Scheme, announced on 5 May 1939 by the Air Minister Sir Kingsley Wood in Guernsey when he opened Guernsey Airport. The received wisdom is that it is the last surviving affiliation under that scheme. It is also considered to be the only RAF Squadron with such an historic link. Guernsey and 201 Squadron are proud of the fact that the link has survived and will continue to flourish.

This link between Squadron and Island remained strong and in 1994, as part of its 80th anniversary celebrations, the Squadron was granted ‘The Privilege of Guernsey’. It was the first award in Guernsey's history of this ancient military honour, which gives the right to march with colours flying, drums beating, and bayonets fixed. 

After a 10-year hiatus, 201 Squadron is standing up once again at RAF Lossiemouth later in the year and will be the second squadron operating the state-of-the-art Poseidon Maritime Patrol Aircraft alongside 120 Squadron. The new commanding officer of 201 Squadron, Wg Cdr Adam Smolak, says:

“It is befitting of this long and proud association that one of the UK’s new Poseidon aircraft bears the name ‘Guernsey’s Reply’. No 201 Squadron will stand up this summer and I am looking forward to retrieving the Standard from Guernsey where it was held for safe keeping in the hope that the Squadron would return, and the affiliation could continue. It is an honour to bring the Squadron back to maritime operations;the coming years will be challenging and exciting in equal measure and it is vital that as we move forward, we retain this historic link”

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 9/11/2020 at 7:09 PM, junglierating said:

I think it's great....HMS FULMAR/RNAS LOSSIEMOUTH....Deference to the senior service....Last time I was in Egin I swear people hadn't even realised the Navy had left....72 wasnt it or there abouts?

I believe it was around then. There are a lot of folk locally who, while happy enough to see the RAF still around, reminisce fondly about the Navy days - and indeed about the 'Navy Days' - it is said RAF Lossiemouth has never had an open day for the local public, though they do regular 'Families & Friends' events strictly for their own clique.  That is not particularly popular locally - the Senior Service really did know how to behave ! 

(The RAF will tell you it is because it is an 'operational base' and hence far too busy. Strange how few flights seem to go on compared to days past !  Ah well, modern security notions are different I suppose, and the old days of distant bases having more freedom to be individualistic are long gone.)

Nice to see the Poseidons dropping weapons now.  Where was that - in the Firth or further away ?  I presume practice/dummy weapons. I wonder how the ex 'Kipper Fleet' folk now back in harness will affect the ethos of those Squadrons. The old MR units had a different style to most of the rest of the Air Force, perhaps because of the role and the need to talk to and understand sailors.

John B

3 hours ago, John B (Sc) said:

I believe it was around then. There are a lot of folk locally who, while happy enough to see the RAF still around, reminisce fondly about the Navy days - and indeed about the 'Navy Days' - it is said RAF Lossiemouth has never had an open day for the local public, though they do regular 'Families & Friends' events strictly for their own clique.  That is not particularly popular locally - the Senior Service really did know how to behave ! 

(The RAF will tell you it is because it is an 'operational base' and hence far too busy. Strange how few flights seem to go on compared to days past !  Ah well, modern security notions are different I suppose, and the old days of distant bases having more freedom to be individualistic are long gone.)

Nice to see the Poseidons dropping weapons now.  Where was that - in the Firth or further away ?  I presume practice/dummy weapons. I wonder how the ex 'Kipper Fleet' folk now back in harness will affect the ethos of those Squadrons. The old MR units had a different style to most of the rest of the Air Force, perhaps because of the role and the need to talk to and understand sailors.

John B

There was an air show at Lossiemouth for the general public in either 1986 or 1987. I remember cos I was there! Also memorable because of the number of aircraft the RAF put in the air at once. Something like 16-20 Buccs, Jags and Tornadoes in the circuit at once. As the first was touching down the last was somewhere above crossing the threshold.

I seem to recall it was a bit of a one off. Hadn’t been one for years and hasn’t been one since.

Edited by EwenS

Ah, thanks Ewan. That sounds like it would have been a good one, like the old style  BoB days and Navy Days.   It was the norm at one time to launch a large batch of the based aircraft at the end of the display day - great to watch.

The days when we had an Air Force with serious numbers and types of aircraft !

John B