Poseidon MRA Mk.1

GMK

14 hours ago, Slater said:

I take it that depot repairs/overhauls/modifications will be done in the UK?

Given that they're currently constructing a 3 bay hangar at Lossiemouth to support the fleet, I'd imagine so yes.

On 8/22/2018 at 10:36 PM, Richard E said:

Ah yes, the Kawasaki P-1, a very capable looking aircraft but if Her Majesty's Royal Air Force had selected it they probably would have ordered it in overall monotone grey instead of the more interesting two tone blue or grey schemes that the Japanese Self Defence Forces use. 

Et voila Poseidon in boring monotone/ monotonous grey/gray....bet the Japanese would have given us a choice....its like Boeing equivalent of Henry Fords any colour you like as long as its black🤦‍♂️😂

2 hours ago, Slater said:

I think that the IAF also likes that Foreign Military Sales are very quick, with no endless competitions nor disputes over warranty & tech transfer provisions associated with other programs (looking at you, Rafale). Look how smoothly the IAF AH-64, C-17, & P-8 acquisitions have gone when compared to LCA & their (endless) MIG-21 replacement programs. 

On ‎6‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 6:26 PM, junglierating said:

Et voila Poseidon in boring monotone/ monotonous grey/gray....bet the Japanese would have given us a choice....its like Boeing equivalent of Henry Fords any colour you like as long as its black

???  You must have noticed that most military aircraft these days are grey - or, if they’re a bit more colourful, grey with a splash of grey.  One of those is the P-1.  The Nimrods all wore monotone grey in their last incarnation, and before that the hemp-and-grey and grey-with-a-white-roof schemes were hardly flamboyant.  It goes with the territory, surely, unless that territory is Iran.

1 hour ago, pigsty said:

???  You must have noticed that most military aircraft these days are grey - or, if they’re a bit more colourful, grey with a splash of grey.  One of those is the P-1.  The Nimrods all wore monotone grey in their last incarnation, and before that the hemp-and-grey and grey-with-a-white-roof schemes were hardly flamboyant.  It goes with the territory, surely, unless that territory is Iran.

You know it was a joking bit of fun I was making 🤡 lost in translation  I guess, apologises im just a simple ex matelot who is well aware of the use of tactical camouflage ashore and afloat etc 😀

Edited by junglierating

On 25/06/2019 at 23:12, junglierating said:

lost in translation  I guess, apologises im just a simple ex matelot

Swearing removed - read the rules

🤔Entire comment removed more like. 

Edited by Rickoshea52

18 hours ago, Slater said:

Amused by the fact they are ordering more in their third order than we have planned (although I expect a second batch of RAF ones to be ordered later)

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Dave Fleming said:

Amused by the fact they are ordering more in their third order than we have planned (although I expect a second batch of RAF ones to be ordered later)

That's what I like about you Dave your boundless optimism 👍

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Dave Fleming said:

Given where the pound is likely headed, I wouldn’t be too confident about us buying more

2 hours ago, Slater said:

As far as nautical-based names, I believe the Indian P8I is called "Neptune".

I guess they don't realise that name has been used, as in the famous P2V/P-2 Neptune? Maybe they can call any new fighter the Bf 109?

Regards,

Jason

2 hours ago, Learstang said:

I guess they don't realise that name has been used, as in the famous P2V/P-2 Neptune? Maybe they can call any new fighter the Bf 109?

Regards,

Jason

I guess they did, just like Typhoon has been used before (but was long out of service) and Lightning (twice before but also long out of service).

• Like 1

16 hours ago, magman2 said:

P-8A Triton MRA MK.1, would be a better name 😁👍

Didn’t the RAF & FAA move away from confusing alternate names for the same aircraft with later marks of the Avenger, Wildcat, & Hellcat?

On the topic of confusing designations, the USAF's version of the V-22 Osprey is called "CV-22", which should indicate a primary role of cargo transport. Even though it's really a Special Ops aircraft. The US Marines' version is called "MV-22" which would indicate a special missions aircraft, even though it replaced the old CH-46 helicopter and does "CH" stuff normally. Why? Supposedly it's because the USMC is the lead service on the Osprey and they got to select the designation.