Poseidon MRA Mk.1

GMK

The RAF has announced the formal, in-service name for the P-8A Poseidon as the Poseidon MRA Mk.1. 

I wish they’d do the same for the F-35B Lightning and the EC-135R Rivet Joint!

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Britman said:

Is that the first RAF aircraft?  Strange place for the roundel and odd size and position for the fin flash.

Keith. 

Roundel and fin flash are a bit bright and look as if they have been photoshopped so maybe not the actual markings.

• Like 1

Interesting times ahead at Lossiemouth with the new US Naval Air Facility as well as the Norwegians alongside RAF Poseidons.

(https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/funds-allocated-for-us-to-base-p-8-poseidon-aircraft-in-scotland-alongside-british-aircraft/)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cngaero said:

Would any of the 1/72 scale Welsh Models Poseidon kits be suitable to build an RAF MRA Mk1 aircraft?

I would say yes as the basic airframe isn't going to change. There may be one or two sensor/aerial differences which should be easy enough to make.

1 hour ago, Scimitar said:

I would say yes as the basic airframe isn't going to change. There may be one or two sensor/aerial differences which should be easy enough to make.

That's great, thanks for that. 

I read in Airforces Monthly that the Australian Wedge tail is on the horizon as an E-3D replacement? Makes sense and reinforces the 'All American' airforce we are getting! 

I also saw images of the Tempest. Grief, it looked ugly!!

52 minutes ago, Simon Cornes said:

I read in Airforces Monthly that the Australian Wedge tail is on the horizon as an E-3D replacement? Makes sense and reinforces the 'All American' airforce we are getting! 

E-7 makes a lot of sense - not least because there's nothing out there that really matches the RAF's requirements (whether those are the right ones can be debated, but there doesn't seem to be that much dispute). We could hope that Airbus produce an AEW/AWACS version of (say) the A320, but doing that when a proven airframe could be obtained without the development risks would be a bit... odd.

The Tempest mock-up will probably bear little resemblance to the end product - if you look at some of the first drawings/models of what is now Typhoon, they're very odd-looking indeed.

14 hours ago, Simon Cornes said:

Both the Wedgetail/E-7 and the Sentry are American, so no net difference to ratio of US/non-US types in RAF service. 

'All American' airforce we are getting

Hmm i worry about the above.....we had American kit for a long time... Phantom Hercules etc etc.However the percentage of American kit is now so much greater and therefore we are that much more relient on our cousins.

From experience even very minor...but important internal components which come from the states take an absolute age to turn round...this has an effect on capability and you can be assured if it effects UK equipment then it will effect US equipment and er....its AMERICA FIRST...it worries me

8 minutes ago, junglierating said:

.its AMERICA FIRST...it worries me

Well don't worry too much, the author of that slogan (this time around) has some golf courses over in the UK he'll want to protect.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

On 20/08/2018 at 22:23, Britman said:

Is that the first RAF aircraft?  Strange place for the roundel and odd size and position for the fin flash.

Keith. 

Thats what I thought. Clearly to upset us modellers.

• Haha 1

I do not think much these days of aircraft finishes. We seem to lack some basic rules and execution for some of the most basic of things. The Phenom has a fin flash borrowed from something twice its size , not to mention the Hawk T2,s wee weed fin flash. Voyager has a cheat line that should go through the cabin windows and should go straight through at the rear instead of pulling up, and the roundel should not be floating around looking for a home. Beer required pronto.

Keith.

• Like 2

I've gone off modelling at the mo but I have also gone off modelling modern RAF stuff for the same reason as the US and other forces due to all of almost being rather bland grey schemes. Especially this years RAF100 specials. When I do get back to modelling it will be a cut off date for my RAF stuff at 1990-2000 approx.  Not into the modern ways much. Wife calls me a B o F ( Boring ole' F""T)Oh well.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2