Roden AC-123K "Black Spot" 1/72

This is my Roden AC-123K project "Black Spot" kit in 1/72. The AC-123K is often refereed to as a Gunship without a gun and was used to drop cluster bomb bomblets on traffic on the Ho Chi Min trail in Viet Name. 

I had great hopes for this kit, especially after the last several Italeri kits. But while I don't want to be pegged as a chronic complainer, I have to say this kit was a nightmare from start with the horrible fit and flawed instructions to end with the decals that would not stick and silvered terribly. The fit was so bad that I have to use some of my wood working clamps just to get joints to meet in close proximity. The instructions are flawed in several ways which indicates these are really for the cargo version of the C-123. 

• There are 3 windows on each side of the nose under the canopy that are not visible on the Black Spot aircraft. While the box art does not show them the instructions have you installing them and I can not find any place the the instructions say to fill them in or cover them.
  • There is a detailed cargo hold interior and the instructions say to pose the ramp open, but I can only find a single picture of a Black Spot aircraft with them open. 
  • There are detailed painting drawings but they are in black and white and different colors are shown with the same pixalation or just a dashed line around an area. Speaking of colors there are only reference to Vallejo paints and no FS numbers.

All decals will silver to some extent, but this can usually be fixed with decal solvent and a sharp knife to make tiny holes in the silvered area for the solvent to seep into. Not these. They resisted all efforts to fix and I am somewhat embarrassed to show the pictures because of this. They must come from the same source as the early Academy decals. Luckily the silvering doesn't show up too much in the pictures. 

I can go on ranting, but I will probably bore you, if I haven't already, so I will just say that this kit is not for the faint of heart of the beginning builder and on to the pictures;

8wxBAvn5_o.jpg

2djkcYqU_o.jpg

fbNUT0ip_o.jpg

xmnD6kdt_o.jpg

rzdr8JSV_o.jpg

0uFLVvkk_o.jpg

74YB9Mny_o.jpg

I would love to do the AP-2H next, but I still haven't found a set of the Blackbird conversion. So for something completely different I will be working on the Muroc Models M2-F1 lifting body.

Enjoy 

• Like 29

They reminded me of the time I tried to apply the decals for the Academy SR-71. I ended up buying the Hasegawa kit just for the decals. Now I don't buy an Academy kit unless I can get after market decals for is. I will have to make that a policy for Roden too. 

Thanks

No they are not. The only reference I could find just said they were more like SAC colors then SEA colors, but that  wasn't very helpful. I could not find any reference that gave FS numbers. I found 1 poor quality color image and I used that, the cover painting on the Squadron C-123 book and the Vallejo numbers in the instruction to come up with Humbrol 91, 78, 118, 127, 128 and 147, but your guess is as good as mine.

Thanks

In spite of your troubles, you've come up with pretty awesome results.

Very glad you persevered with it, as it is not a subject that crops up regularly.

It certainly has a sort-of "Air America" look to it, which I enjoy.

Well done.

:clap:

• Thanks 1

Well, despite your travails with the kit you've turned out a superb looking model.  Oh for the days when military aircraft had colourful schemes instead of one shade of grey!  Very interesting how the camouflage partially extends to the underside.  I also noticed how the nose appendage makes the aircraft look so different, somewhat reminiscent of the CASA Aviocar.  If it's any consolation Roden's 1/72 Fokker D.VII was the first kit I've ever consigned to the bin mid build (the Sword Spitfire XIV is becoming dangerously close to joining it mind you!).

• Thanks 1

I really love your build, it is a pity that the instructions are vague.

They really should pay more attention to that but aotherwise it is a better addition in this scale then the Airmodel or Mach 2 editions.

The correct colour scheme is that the greens from the SEA scheme should be used and the black as well but without the tan colour for the topside...

The 1/144 A-model edition also has the wrong scheme included.

Very nice info with pictures is to be found in Wayne Mutza's book "Gunships, the story of Spooky, Shadow, Stinger and Spectre"

Despite the title there is more info about gunship aircraft in this book and if you like those planes this is a must read!

And one to another build wich i think is pretty correct with this scheme.

http://www.usaf-sig.org/Forum/index.php?topic=196.0

Hereby a linky to a original blackspot aircraft.

https://www.google.nl/search?client=tablet-android-samsung&biw=962&bih=601&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=ceN7W9qRGtLPwQKy0K2YCQ&q=blackspot+aircraft+C123&oq=blackspot+aircraft+C123&gs_l=mobile-gws-wiz-img.3..30i10.2641.5824..6733...0.0..0.204.485.4j0j1......0....1.hDq35evhMKc#imgrc=LQah7TW6ZxvfSM:

I am familiar with the somehow poor fit these kits can have..

Neverheles i hope i didn't spoil the fun on your great build it still is a worthy addition in your cabinet..

It certainly looks like a NC/AC-123k  as it really captures the lines.

Cheers, Jan

Edited by janneman36
Info added
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, pdsvidioman said:

There are aftermarket decals for this, can't remember who, out now.

I would be interested in knowing if you remember who it is

A very smart looking build.  Good effort for cracking on with it despite all the problems.

Regarding silvering decals, I have used a small dab of Tamiya green cap on a decal that had silvered and the glue completely got rid of the silver problem.  I would suggest using it sparingly and on a test model first.

• Thanks 1

I was thinking of trying to punch some holes in them with a sharp #11 blade and then a dab of the flat coat in the hope it will spread under them and fill the void. I can try the glue too.  when I am ready to go back it it.

Thanks

40 minutes ago, hsr said:

I was thinking of trying to punch some holes in them with a sharp #11 blade and then a dab of the flat coat in the hope it will spread under them and fill the void. I can try the glue too.  when I am ready to go back it it.

Thanks

That can do the trick, maybe you should try whiteglue or first some decalsoftener..

I always try it first with Revell decalsoftener before i try some paint or glue..

What also can help is paint on your decal the colour you use under it...

Did that before with a brush and even that worked like a charm...

Cheers, Jan

• Thanks 1

I usually use MicroSol and the #11 blade and it might take a few iterations but it will usually make the silvering disappear. The only times it has not worked is with these and Academy decals. 

• 3 weeks later...