Martin Baker 2H seat

Redstaff

Afternoon good folk

I'm after some nice colour pics of a MK2H ejection seat so I can get round to painting mine  for a Hunter build please

I've searched the web and can find plenty of black and white photos and a few side on or poor resolution pics etc not showing full details, plenty of other versions but the 2H seems a bit scarce

So anyone who has relevant photos they could share or is better than me at finding some better views online would make me a happy bunny :) 

Many thanks

Ian :) 

Thanks Scimitar

I have seen this site and it is a great source of info and a lot of the later seats have colour pics, but Sods law dictates that the one I want are in Black and White unfortunately :) 

Redstaff, here are some photos of my 2H seat. I've restored it as fitted to a later mark Hunter so it's fitted with the hard fibreglass PSP and sheepskin cushion. Earlier Hunters would have had a red top handle and the canvas Type R PSP which was a khaki colour. I've posted a photo of the earlier PSP as well so you see what I mean. Note the khaki PSP often had a thin yellow canvas cushion on top. Not sure what mark of Hunter you're building but there was a variation of the Type R PSP which was fitted to the GA.11/PR.11s which had a green vinyl top in place of the khaki canvas.

Dscf2312_Large.jpg

DSCF2314_Large.jpg

DSCF2325_Large.jpg

DSCF2324_Large.jpg

DSCF2323_Large.jpg

Type R Personal Survival Pack

rpsptop.jpg

Hope that helps.

Mark

• Like 5
  • Thanks 6

That‘s simply gorgeous, Mark ! How about a Hunter to properly present it?

As I received my Revell Hunter test shot almost precisely 20 years ago, this may be the time and place to go looking for it and try getting on with the work?

In case further references/comparisons are needed, I am quite sure good old Replic had an article with detail shots also of the seat, which must have been between Summer 98 and early 99, though that may have been the 3H.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, StephenMG said:

Hope that helps.

Mark

Mark, that's absolutely brilliant, I can't thank you enough :) that's a hell of a talking point 

I'm building an F6 from 56 squadron in 1960 and I've got a 3H sbs one and a quickboost 2H which looks a better more crisp moulding 

As far as I can tell from research, the F6's were built with the 3H but most were retro fitted with the 2H for some reason 🤔

Hope I can do it justice now

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Redstaff said:

Mark, that's absolutely brilliant, I can't thank you enough :) that's a hell of a talking point 

I'm building an F6 from 56 squadron in 1960 and I've got a 3H sbs one and a quickboost 2H which looks a better more crisp moulding 

As far as I can tell from research, the F6's were built with the 3H but most were retro fitted with the 2H for some reason 🤔

Hope I can do it justice now

Thanks all, happy to be able to help.

Redstaff, the F.6 was originally fitted with the Mk.2H with the Mk.3H being fitted very late in the life of the mark 6 when the F.6A came along, and even then not all aircraft got them - officially, either could be used. The FGA.9 was the first major user of the Mk.3H but it seems that, as you say, the RAF reverted back to the 2H in a lot of cases (I have a set of FGA.9 Pilot's Notes which has been amended to remove all reference to the 3H and replaced with the 2H). Maybe the extra protection from the thigh guards was seen as an advantage, especially in a purely ballistic seat?

Getting back to your model, personally I'd stick with the Mk.2H without question. Good luck with it either way. 👍

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

There used to be a website devoted to the ejection seats used by all national air and naval aircraft. It had an extensive list of them and included color photos and details of the seats(cushion colors, armrests, sides, headrest, etc.). Sadly, it has disappeared it seems. And it had British, USA, Soviet/Russian, and a couple of others.

Joe

On 8/22/2018 at 10:49 AM, StephenMG said:

Thanks all, happy to be able to help.

Redstaff, the F.6 was originally fitted with the Mk.2H with the Mk.3H being fitted very late in the life of the mark 6 when the F.6A came along, and even then not all aircraft got them - officially, either could be used. The FGA.9 was the first major user of the Mk.3H but it seems that, as you say, the RAF reverted back to the 2H in a lot of cases (I have a set of FGA.9 Pilot's Notes which has been amended to remove all reference to the 3H and replaced with the 2H). Maybe the extra protection from the thigh guards was seen as an advantage, especially in a purely ballistic seat?

Getting back to your model, personally I'd stick with the Mk.2H without question. Good luck with it either way. 👍

Thanks did not know that!

Would you also have some info on export F6 and FGA.9 derived examples?

@exdraken FGA.9 derived export aircraft primarily used the Mk.3H seat. I have manuals for the FGA.76, FGA.78 and FGA.80 and they all list the 3H as the fitted seat. The Swiss also used the 3H on their later deliveries.

F.6 derived aircraft seem to have been a bit of a mixture depending on which side the introduction of the 3H they were - much like the RAF aircraft.

• Thanks 2

On 14/12/2019 at 19:41, JPuente54 said:

Sadly, it has disappeared it seems. And it had British, USA, Soviet/Russian, and a couple of others.

Sure it's not this one

http://www.ejectionsite.com/frame_sg.htm

as posted by @rayprit  above,  a quick look shows something very similar to what you describe.