Halifax B MkII/Ia nose side windows

DaveyGair

A few years ago when contemplating getting back into modelling, after being asked what I fancied for Christmas off my youngest daughter, I received the then newish tooling of the Revell 1/72nd merlin powered Halifax.  I read about the shortcomings in the engine department but wasn't too bothered, but saw an AML upgrade set cheapish on a well known auction site so bought that.  I'm going to do one of the decal options in the AML set, L9613.  

I noted having to open the large side windows and filling in some of the small round windows, but also there is a square side window behind the triangular one on the starboard side nose, a mirror of the port side.  The kit does not have this option, but it's no great hardship to do the opening.  However, I've trawled the internet and cannot find a single photo of an early Halifax with this other square window on the starboard side, just the port side, as per the kit.  The only photo I came across of L9613 is of the port side. Is this an error in the AML drawings? The other decal option, BB340, has the same extra square window.

Just out of interest I looked through the Xtradecal sheets and the only aircraft with this starboard side square nose window was a B Mk 1 special.

Can anyone help?  Was this a feature on some early Halifax's?  

Normally I would have probably built it as per the kit, but want to 'get it right', well, as much as possible.

Sorry for the long post for a simple question.

Davey.

Send me your email address in a PM and I'll send you a scan of the Aerodata booklet on Merlin engined variants, including drawings by Alfred Granger which I believe are highly regarded.

Edit - they show various nose variants all with the square window behind the triangular one as port side only

Edited by rossm
  • Like 1