RAAF and RNZAF Kittyhawks - finished model

petr@SpecialHobby

12 hours ago, petr@SpecialHobby said:

Sorry to tell you that NZ3008 (HQ-B) is NOT an RCAF aircrfat.

The NZ prefix in front of 3008 should be a dead give away, that it is fact a RNZAF P40-E1 as in this

Official RNZAF Photo taken circa 1942, and not at Whenuapai but based at RNZAF Base Ohakea

dca47274-f71f-4cd3-a3b9-7eca85b713f6.jpg

I don't know who provided DK Decals with the information for the RNZAF aircraft, but they got it

Oh so wrong on a number of points.

DK Decals DKD72051

The P40E-1 15 Squadron Tonga 1943 ( No.18 on sheet) is so wrong it's not even funny.

RNZAF 15 Squadron took over USAAF P40E-1's October 1942 in Tonga, and were flying over

Guadalcanal by 1943. and just to prove that the colour scheme is wrong here is one of

the "Tongan" P40E-1's (not in Tonga) note the camouflage - note Foliage Green

RNZAF 15 Squadron P 40E-1

Another 15 Squadron P40E-1 (again not in Tonga) note camouflage - not Foliage Green

36b8210a-fc84-4b15-a2b6-a4cd5d1cee10.jpg

Sorry not impressed by levels of research or lack thereof - other modellers take this information,

use it thus perpetuating these errors

Regards

Alan

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
On 8/20/2018 at 6:39 PM, LDSModeller said:

Sorry to tell you that NZ3008 (HQ-B) is NOT an RCAF aircrfat.

The NZ prefix in front of 3008 should be a dead give away, that it is fact a RNZAF P40-E1 as in this

Official RNZAF Photo taken circa 1942, and not at Whenuapai but based at RNZAF Base Ohakea

dca47274-f71f-4cd3-a3b9-7eca85b713f6.jpg

I don't know who provided DK Decals with the information for the RNZAF aircraft, but they got it

Oh so wrong on a number of points.

DK Decals DKD72051

The P40E-1 15 Squadron Tonga 1943 ( No.18 on sheet) is so wrong it's not even funny.

RNZAF 15 Squadron took over USAAF P40E-1's October 1942 in Tonga, and were flying over

Guadalcanal by 1943. and just to prove that the colour scheme is wrong here is one of

the "Tongan" P40E-1's (not in Tonga) note the camouflage - note Foliage Green

RNZAF 15 Squadron P 40E-1

Another 15 Squadron P40E-1 (again not in Tonga) note camouflage - not Foliage Green

36b8210a-fc84-4b15-a2b6-a4cd5d1cee10.jpg

Sorry not impressed by levels of research or lack thereof - other modellers take this information,

use it thus perpetuating these errors

Regards

Alan

Alan,

What so wrong with the model, colors, markings, both? The modeler is a friend of mine and at this point rather unhappy with the critique since he trusted DK decals. Btw credit on that sheet is given to Ed Russel who as I understand is from your side of the globe and knowledgeable?

Speaking about DK decals as much as I like them I'm too concerned with their "research", I found inaccuracies in other sheets.

Some time ago we discussed (here) yellow trims on the wing RNZAF roundels.

Cheers,

Mario

in New York

15 minutes ago, mholly said:

Alan,

What so wrong with the model, colors, markings, both? The modeler is a friend of mine and at this point rather unhappy with the critique since he trusted DK decals. Btw credit on that sheet is given to Ed Russel who as I understand is from your side of the globe and knowledgeable?

Speaking about DK decals as much as I like them I'm too concerned with their "research", I found inaccuracies in other sheets.

Some time ago we discussed (here) yellow trims on the wing RNZAF roundels.

Cheers,

Mario

in New York

Mario,

I would suggest reading through a post I made on the DK Decals here on Britmodeller

The colours for the P 40 E-1 should be more like this paint swatch I have off  an actual

RNZAF P40E-1, from the same period, note the Green/Brown and lower Duck Egg Blue colours

If your friend is bothered, he made the same mistake many other modellers make, in assuming

all RNZAF Aircraft were weathered to the Nth degree. New Zealand has a very temperate climate,

weathering does not occur in the extremes like it did/does in the more northern SW Pacific climes.

5f5bf348-e74d-4e5d-bcb4-1eb404e9165f.JPG

As far as information supplied to Decal manufacturers, read my FYI post above.

Yes, Ed  Russell is from the Antipodes, but he is from Australia

and I am from New Zealand, the RNZAF has been a big part of my

life. I would suggest talking to Ed, I'm not going to speak for/about him.

It's unfortunate your friend is unhappy, there are, unfortunately decal/model manufacturers

out there who rely on information given them, or even make their own mistakes in research

(I can think of one New Zealand company on RNZAF Markings).
All I can say is user /buyer beware

FYI

There are forums like Britmodeller or RNZAF Proboards that more correct/up to date information

can be found.

Regards

Alan