Hello Everyone ... This is a placeholder for my build. I will be using this kit. 

bByxggO.jpg

I am a bonafide Cobra lover and have built almost as many of these as I’ve built Corsair’s. I will be building an Airacobra 1 of #601 Squadron. Hoping to look like this profile from “Boxart Den.”

8Npxhws.jpg

However I found this photo at boxart den and I may go this route ?

Ju7ba1Q.jpg

J0voXOZ.jpg

It seems the Royal Navy used a couple of these for trials ? The kits on its way and when it gets here i will post the sprue shots. I will make up the decals from my spares or painted with masks. 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 6

welcome aboard Dennis, you do like these models don't you?

They're fairly basic model but am interested to see what you do with it, plus I do like the scheme you have chosen.

Well good luck with the build, it'll be one to follow and I look forward to seeing her in the gallery.

• Thanks 1

Im learning to like them. This will be my 3rd one. They make cheap starting points to modify or detail. They're also fairly detailed straight out of the box. With my yearly budget less than $200 i need to get every last bit of value from those funds i can. I would've much preferred to build an eduard, hasegawa, or monogram in 1/48th. I sadly don't have any in the stash and couldn't spend the $ this time around. If i cant succesfully pull this off for either variant, i will of course back out of the build. 

Dennis

you are 100% right is saying they're a great starting point for either modifying or super detailing a model. Plus you stand a much better chance of actually finishing your build than some of us with the monsters we bring along!

Ultimately it's all about joining in and having fun rather than what you bring along. It is nice to see these and the wee 1/144th models in any GB, a great chance to show what came be done with these models.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello everyone ... Well as promised and as required here are the sprue shots.

aD0v2bm.jpg

bKcbKSG.jpg

ZK0Vv9a.jpg

The decals from the kit are Soviet of course. I have a set of 601 Squadrons markings in the stash, i need to dig them out and photograph them. Questions, comments, or jokes ? 

Dennis

• Like 4

Hello everyone well I took a quick look and did a couple things since this is officially up and running. The kits decent not perfect for a Generic P-39. I filled the two holes in the lower wing that hobbyboss would have you mount the “Q” gun pods in. Excepts this is an “N” kit which didnt use the gun pods ? Two the nose guns are absent so I drilled them out and will use brass tubing to represent the barrels. Likewise I will do the same with the 20mm cannon in the nose. I will take some photographs in the morning. 

Dennis

• Like 2

Hello Everybody ... Rich @trickyrich ... yeah i have a map sort of planned out. Heres the plane as of right now. 

VWuII3W.jpg

zWAT285.jpg

I spent some time today getting weight set up for the nose. I filled the available voids ahead of the instrument panel & above the nose gear. But i may need to stuff the nose gear bay as well ?   

Dennis

• Like 1

Hello Everybody ... Well i got a good start on this. I painted and built up the little cockpit for this. But im stuck on two points ? Did these use sutton harness ? Im thinking yes. Two im not sure if these carried a radio on the turtle deck behind the armor on top of the engine. 

This is where it sits currently. She’ll need some filler but not to much. 

ZPNT0qF.jpg

2PnH44h.jpg

The pit as she sits. 

42IxCqw.jpg

She needs a little filler around the seams but shes not to bad. I added the weight in the nose. Before i glued her together. Questions, comments, or jokes ? 

Dennis

• Like 4

she's coming along nicely.

for that gap, I'd try filling with some sprue that's been stretched to the same width (it may take a couple of goes). It'll save you heaps of time with filling and sanding back, plus it'll give you a really nice join that doesn't shrink.

Are there two different types of seat harness??? :blink:

• Thanks 1

Hello everyone .. So Ive been reliably informed these definitely used the Sutton harnesses. I suspected so and now i will do my best to represent it in the tiny seat. Still curious about the radio but its less likely they had one behind the armor. 

Dennis 

I have a couple of these on the go Dennis great little kit's, at least you won't need a lead fishing weight as you do to keepthe 1/32 scale kit on the front wheel

• Thanks 1

Hello everyone ... Today i added an instrument panel decal. It looked a little plain in the pit. 

lpWfrOR.jpg

I will add my best interpratation of a “Sutton” harness tomorrow to finish off the office. I did a rough sand overall, and filled the wing gap with plastic strip. Once done with that i used some Tamiya putty to fill what was left. 21ysgQV.jpg

Did the other gaps as well.

YZ0V4sj.jpg

Once all of that was finished i added the horizontal stabs.  

EMzF2uK.jpg

Now its on to sanding/polishing so boring stuff = no photos for a day or two. 

Dennis

• Like 3

Hey Dennis, 

I pulled out my copy of Air Enthusiast August 1971, which has an article on RAF Airacobras, and while most photos show nothing there (except two parallel rail-type structures), this one, of the second delivered airframe, shows what appears to be black boxes of some sort:

43618668724_5c5a168d9c_h.jpg2018-08-28_09-32-00 by Edward IX, on Flickr 

The engine is directly below that shelf-like area, though, so I'm not sure what that was. A cutaway drawing of the Airacobra I in the same source puts the radio receiver and transmitter inside the fuselage abaft the airscoop, almost directly in front of the fin.

Interestingly enough, the RAF found in trials that the Airacobra could out-turn a Bf109E and catch it in a dive of over 4,000 feet, but that it couldn't out-turn or out-climb a Spitfire Vb. At 15,000 feet or below, it was faster than the Spitfire Vb by about 18 MPH, but of course over France at this time they were routinely fighting at 24,000 feet (which must have been very unpleasant), where the Spitfire was 55 MPH (!) faster than the Airacobra I.

• Like 2

Hello PC ... Thanks for the photo. I believe the boxes on the turtle deck are connected to the IFF System. The rails i believe are part of the rollover cage. I plan on doing both to this build. Though i have read that IFF was not used in airacobra’s ? I cant believe that would be correct in an active combat theater. Where the enemy was cross-chanel hit and run raiding with fighter bombers. I had read about the comparisons between the 109 and Mk.V  

• Like 1

Tonights progress .. I did the Sutton harness for the pit. 

lBxnCOj.jpg

Added the IFF boxes on the turtle-deck. 

7XrA1cP.jpg

Mounted what looks like a fairly detailed airscoop as well. 

FcV0Fm5.jpg

And i cut the two brass rods for the rollover bars. These will get added last just before the canopy. 

ofnpnr7.jpg

Enough for tonight. 

Dennis

• Like 5

Did a little work on this today. Cut and mounted the nose guns & cannon. YxzSlqt.jpg

I realized the gun troughs were a bit oversized but thats the smallest drill bit i have. So i mounted and have backfilled a portion of the trough. Then i drilled the spinner and added the cannon barrel. I dont have anything small enough for the .303’s in the wing, i cant replace those. 

Dennis

• Like 1