Special Hobby P-39 1/32 scale.

Evening folk's,I proposed this kit a while back for this GB so better put my money where my mouth is and build it.

20170611_211229_zps3czovwbh.jpg

I picked it up a couple of year's ago at the Northern show for a song started it then put it back in the box.

20170611_211505_zpsvymvsord.jpg

20170611_211638_zpsyi9jnlca.jpg

As I said it's started but only the cockpit so within the rules,I built Eduard's kit as an early RAF machine but not sure which scheme for this one.

DSCN0925%20640x480_zpsrjjg2idc.jpg

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 5

welcome aboard Steve, first one in the blocks, you must be excited!

I'm so looking forward to this build as I have the same model but am saving it for a later build, so will be following you're with interest. It's a nice looking model and seems to be well thought out.

Your early build looks awesome so am excited to see what you do with this one. Good luck with the build and I looking forward to following it with interest.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, trickyrich said:

welcome aboard Steve, first one in the blocks, you must be excited!

Cheer's Rich,looking forward to finally getting this one underway again!

20 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Interesting choice Steve, not seen one of these built so do you mind if I tag along? 

Not at all Craig,can't promise anything Earth shattering but I have a new airbrush so hope to tinker with the paintwork a bit.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Interesting choice Steve, not seen one of these built so do you mind if I tag along? 

you could always really tag along and buy one? :whistle: Or just join the build, no pressure.... :fight:   :D

• Like 1

7 hours ago, trickyrich said:

you could always really tag along and buy one? :whistle: Or just join the build, no pressure.... :fight:   :D

Give me time, I'm still struggling through my Monogram F-105F!

I'm sure I did sign up for this one Rich, always had a soft spot for the P-39.

I have the Eduard P-400 boxing in the stash and am looking at a Monogram promodeller P-39 on Ebay, don't suppose you know if the promodeller boxing come with recessed panel lines?

12 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

I have the Eduard P-400 boxing in the stash and am looking at a Monogram promodeller P-39 on Ebay, don't suppose you know if the promodeller boxing come with recessed panel lines?

I have had a look and the promodeller model is the old Monogram kit and isn't with recessed lines.

I hope that helps to make your decision.

Cheers,

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Arniec said:

I have had a look and the promodeller model is the old Monogram kit and isn't with recessed lines.

I hope that helps to make your decision.

Cheers,

Thanks Arnold,

I know it's based on the old Monogram kit with raised lines but wasn't sure if it got recessed ones for the promodeller version as I believe happened with some of their kits. I built an original Monogram one a few years ago as an Italian co-belligerent and enjoyed it.

Best give Steve his thread back now!

• Like 2

Craig if you are looking to buy go no further than Eduard's 1/48 kit my LMS do them for under £13 Quid and I bet Mike at MJW could sort you

out a good price he does prices including postage that beat my LMS.

• Like 2

Craig, you should be a panel line expert once you're done with the F-105! :D

Gee Steve that's not a bad price at all, it's cheaper than I can get it here. 

Eeeeek! I've just seen the price of their (Eduard's) new Soviet "Bella" version...............$65,00 USD!!

• Like 1

Hello @stevej60 ... Was wondering since you're doing what appears to be an Airacobra 1. Would you know if they used the “Sutton” harness ? Im curious as im doing one in 1/72nd and need to replicate that. Also does your kit indicate a radio on the turtle deck behind the armor above the engine ? None of my sources show a clear photo of that area ? Any help would be very much appeciated. 

Dennis 

4 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello @stevej60 ... Was wondering since you're doing what appears to be an Airacobra 1. Would you know if they used the “Sutton” harness ? Im curious as im doing one in 1/72nd and need to replicate that. Also does your kit indicate a radio on the turtle deck behind the armor above the engine ? None of my sources show a clear photo of that area ? Any help would be very much appeciated. 

Dennis 

Hi Dennis,the kit included two types of Harness in PE for each option I have that part of the build done and will post a picture as soon as I can,

as far as I can remember there was no radio(the photo's I posted were from last year) I was going to dig out the box tonight so I'll find out the 

info for you.

• Thanks 1

Hi folk's,just a couple of photos to show what has been started last year,I had fitted the air intake's and wheel wells to the lower wing.

44259713112_0b9782240b_b.jpg

The Cockpit was assembled and base coat applied I plan to put a bit of wear and tear before fitting,control stick still to paint.

43401720555_087030a05a_b.jpg

I used most of the PE supplied including the harness,two are supplied the one fitted is for the RAF version.

44307536321_81b978bfe9_b.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 26/08/2018 at 07:07, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Dennis 

Dennis hope the harness photo is of use there's a radio supplied for the rear decking behind the pilot's seat.

• Thanks 1

Morning folk's I have joined the fuselage halves and added the decking behind the pilot's seat,no issues butwith all SH kits a rub along the joining

faces always help's I don't know if it was a one off but when I built their Seafire I found the plastic just didn't like liquid poly so tube cement was used.

29405127287_cda4560589_b.jpg

• Like 6

Morning folk's weekend progress meant the cleaning up of the fuselage and assembly ofthe wing's which I left a couple of  day's to dry,about ready to 

join the two,a dry run show's a decent but not perfect fit so will tackle it this area next.

43727340424_6ab12a93be_b.jpg

• Like 6

Morning folk's,for those building this kit probably the worst part you will face,I have an in depth MAI build at hand so was expecting it but still

a shocker.

29551793927_f8673a8e82_b.jpg

44439913962_02e4f0e34d_b.jpg

Edited by stevej60
  • Sad 3

Thanxs for letting us know. Now I will be very carefull with that part. 

I just found this build. Maybee can still us it?! https://www.romseymodellers.co.uk/build-articles/aircraft/aircraft-wwii/allied/airacobra 

Cheers, 

Edited by Arniec
  • Like 1