Revell 1/48 F-86D Sabre Dog

This morning I have masked the anti-glare panel off, and then set about with a 2500grit Infini sanding stick to be a bit more objective about the fuselage seams in particular.

resized_1d452170-2171-4da4-8a0a-093ae197

resized_e6550dcb-0b9f-46b4-aaa8-4f231ab4

I then spent about half an hour trying to discharge static electricity from the model which was finding dust from everywhere. You could sit there and watch dust fly in towards it and stick. Most frustrating, but the painting is going nowhere in that state. Having got rid of the dust by blowing with the airbrush - not rubbing it away, I donned gloves and applied the final gloss black coat.

Whilst that dried, I tried a little experiment as whilst I can get a good metallic paint finish, I have never yet felt like one looked like a metal aeroplane. Real aeroplane skins are ripply and uneven and scatter light in different directions. That's hard to do on a model so I've been playing with different shades to see if I can do something that looks slightly more like there's some light scatter going on, plus some oxidisation from the weather, oils from ground crews' hands etc.

I wouldn't say I was particularly happy with it, but I think it's better than a uniform colour.

resized_ea9f5cd1-c40d-4994-9f89-90a39cad

resized_b196dab6-5c43-4d4f-b478-b097b253

resized_a38e8ba9-5510-49eb-ab5c-cae75bd6

• Like 8

I think I have achieved the best I am going to for the time being. I shall think on how to improve it though.

To be open and honest, we did have a second visit from Mr Chicken today

logo-png.png

After having completed the finish, I decided to do one final pass with Polished Aluminium in one little spot, but in my satisfaction neglected to fit the lid on the airbrush cup which I don't normally use but had been today. At the end of my final pass I stopped sweeping the airbrush but the Alclad inside didn't stop but instead sloshed out, landed on several places on the just finished model and ruined the finish. 

As soon as my hand stopped moving I could see the liquid in slow motion, and I immediately began to quote Winnie the Pooh:

th?id=OIP.zdXVWL4wCX3oHtg2LuwOjgHaGh

So, out with the sanding sponges again - they're getting a good exercise this weekend! The model was re-lacquered gloss black and I started over.

After all that fuss, here's the state of play as of right now

resized_9d4432d3-5fef-45d7-81b0-9d836af9

resized_b0876051-f38c-448e-bdc9-ffca9258

resized_f3be0580-2f55-4b73-b345-06b5816d

resized_7bb0de02-72cc-49e3-ad2b-4b9f2f12

resized_e30eab7a-31e3-47bc-8499-fd4a6e8e

resized_a1a76d33-72cb-4e8e-8a63-8ba31b5b

resized_7965b4ad-080b-4722-ac0b-da0c3999

resized_7965b4ad-080b-4722-ac0b-da0c3999

resized_cc282dbc-6893-4f2d-b7f2-fb714ee6

Please excuse the shonky undercarriage and flaps. They're just on, not on on.

• Like 16

Me too. Something I've been experimenting with is using varied amounts of varnish to use light reflections to emphasise variations, from what you've shown above, it looks like you have a similar result there and it looks effective

6 hours ago, Silver Fox said:

I'd be very happy with that finish.

3 hours ago, woody37 said:

Me too. Something I've been experimenting with is using varied amounts of varnish to use light reflections to emphasise variations, from what you've shown above, it looks like you have a similar result there and it looks effective

Thank you both. Whilst I can see (plenty) scope for improvement, this is my best NMF so far so I shall content myself with that.

As such, I started on the decals. I used an eenie-meenie-miney-mo process and chose the wrong one. The shark teeth have required a lot of care and reapplication of Microsol all afternoon and evening. I think it'll turn out alright though. I hope!

resized_d47e4521-bf60-46e4-97a5-8e6e5af0

resized_941e9b3c-d4c8-4e23-8f39-670e9d8b

• Like 16

On 8/26/2018 at 2:12 PM, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

After all that fuss, here's the state of play as of right now

resized_9d4432d3-5fef-45d7-81b0-9d836af9

Those shots look great Jamie in the way they show off your metal variations. Really very effective and nuanced. :thumbsup2:

The one drawback I find in painting metals underneath artificial bench lighting is of course in the real world the way in which metallic surfaces are fundamentally influenced by the colours and tones of their environment, through reflection and illumination of sky, ground &etc., which has given me pause for thought several times on my current buildabout exactly how it should look...

• Like 3

15 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Those shots look great Jamie in the way they show off your metal variations. Really very effective and nuanced. :thumbsup2:

The one drawback I find in painting metals underneath artificial bench lighting is of course in the real world the way in which metallic surfaces are fundamentally influenced by the colours and tones of their environment, through reflection and illumination of sky, ground &etc., which has given me pause for thought several times on my current buildabout exactly how it should look...

Yes it's very much the dilemma. I'd like to try something else with a paint mule

• Like 1

The decals aren't working especially well, or perhaps, Microsol isn't working especially well with them. It's taking a lot of care so I'm going very slowly with them. Since the whole airframe is covered in decals, I am consciously taking my time and avoiding situations whereby I forget and try to hold the model by wet/softened decals.

The teeth are going to need a bit of remedial work around the intake.

resized_06ba6c56-edd5-4b68-8763-a1f54516

Overall it is starting to gather some colour though

resized_3ee978b8-2b4a-48ec-bd64-340ac2a6

• Like 9

20 minutes ago, Stew Dapple said:

That's looking really nice mate B)

Forgive me for nosing but that thing on the table... is it (whisper it)... a tank?

Cheers,

Stew

Paint mule, clearly.

A gratifying number of tins of Colourcoats there, Jamie.  Still, if you don’t, who can?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Stew Dapple said:

That's looking really nice mate B)

Forgive me for nosing but that thing on the table... is it (whisper it)... a tank?

Cheers,

Stew

It's one of those Meng kids kit egg-tank things. Gill got it from @Duncan B at Perth and Penny built it on Sunday :) Shely also finished the Black Pearl at the same time. Clearly I'm going to be very bias but I think they have a knack for it and I utterly reject male/female gender activity stereotypes too! If the activity requires particular genitals to take part in it, it's not for children!

resized_7a434966-7c32-4332-b7d6-c0189485

resized_491158c3-8f4b-4015-9d91-0b191a0b

There is a lot of stuff competing for their attention nowadays that I didn't have at their age so I always ensure there is a kit or two available for them, but don't push it upon them either.

1 hour ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Paint mule, clearly.

A gratifying number of tins of Colourcoats there, Jamie.  Still, if you don’t, who can?

That's our one-of-everything cache. It would be a lie to say I don't borrow some now and then, but we always keep one wet sample of whatever the current product is meant to be so we can check future batches against them. There shouldn't be deviation, but if we didn't keep a constant throughout we could get some drift over time :)

• Like 3

Jamie, 

for dust and dirt removal before painting I use an anti static brush. 

Also handy to clean finished models too before photos or taking to shows etc. 

Make sure its a ‘soft’ type like this below. Goat hair and special fibres that remove charge. 

http://snvinyl.co.uk/epages/eshop943300.mobile/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/eshop943300/Products/BRUSH1&Locale=en_GB

They are pricey but much better than the cheap ebay/amazon PCB stiff black nylon anti static brushes that could damage delicate model parts. 

Tony

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Penny built it on Sunday :) Shely also finished the Black Pearl at the same time.

Very nice job they have made of both of them too B) 

8 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

If the activity requires particular genitals to take part in it, it's not for children!

I never use mine to assist with my modelling in any way and that's the way I want to keep it :D 

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...