Airfix 1/72 Hurricane 4 Day build

This was a cheap and cheerful  kick-start to "ye flagging mojo:" Pulled an Airfix Hurricane gift set out out of the stash and did it as the Science  Museum example. WIP here. Paints are Mr Color, OOB except for some Eduard belts. This proved to me that you can easily build an acceptable ( to my standards) model in a few days if you really want...something to remind me to  JFDI instead of whinging about depleted mojos...

port1.jpg

port2.jpg

portop.jpg

topfront.jpg

stbd2.jpg

stbd5.jpg

stbd3.jpg

stbd4.jpg

pit.jpg

exhausts.jpg

And while I was shooting it with my Udet racer, made rat-a-tat noises and getting it  way too close to my BoB 109E ( complete with invisible pilots @Mike))

dogfight.jpg

Thanks for looking in,

Cheers

Anil

• Like 36

that is a nice Hurricane .. 4 days well done

It takes me that long to decide which model I will start (I only have 4 in stash at the moment!) , then another 4 days to open the box and extract the instructions , 4 more days watching random you tube videos on painting / weathering tanks even though I only build aircraft, you know how it goes.... So unlike 40+ years  ...  4 hours , it would have been built, my parents would have removed glue and paint from furniture / floor and me - I would be running round the garden thinking I was a fighter ace before falling over and breaking something ... 'dad where's the glue' - those were the days.

• Like 2

On 8/20/2018 at 1:09 PM, RJ-WobblyHands said:

It takes me that long to decide which model I will start (I only have 4 in stash at the moment!) , then another 4 days to open the box and extract the instructions , 4 more days watching random you tube videos on painting / weathering tanks even though I only build aircraft, you know how it goes.... So unlike 40+ years  ...  4 hours , it would have been built, my parents would have removed glue and paint from furniture / floor and me - I would be running round the garden thinking I was a fighter ace before falling over and breaking something ... 'dad where's the glue' - those were the days.

@RJ-WobblyHands Azureglo's new improved method for kit building:

1: Check what paints and masks you have in stock

2: Pick suitable kit

3: Build it like a sonovabitch and don't get too precious, use etch belts if you have them,  otherwise, who'e gonna look inside the canopy of a 1/72 kit?

4: Shove it on a stand, take some iffy photos , bung said on BM then go to the fridge and award yourself the following:

30314152808_7c8f474c7b_b.jpg

5: Repeat until display cabinet filled

6: Buy another display cabinet and repeat steps 1-6

Alternatively, you could join @bootneck's procrastinating modelers club, when he gets around to setting it up...

Cheers

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 8/19/2018 at 11:16 PM, Hairtrigger said:

Lovely clean build...  I like that a lot...  Done the same model but made mine 

too weathered on reflection.

I only did this clean because it was to represent the Science Museum exhibit. If I was to do another, I'd probably go for the full weathered, chipped etc as well...I can do filthy but its nice to have a few pristine jobbies in the cabinet

Cheers

Anil

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Great work on a quick build.  My 1/72 kits languish for 4 months before completion!

I particularly like your stands.

Do you make them? Buy them? How are the models attached??

Quite interested

Cheers

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Winenut said:

Great work on a quick build.  My 1/72 kits languish for 4 months before completion!

I particularly like your stands.

Do you make them? Buy them? How are the models attached??

Quite interested

Cheers

I make them and here are some shots of how it works. The parts are 6 mm rod, acrylic blocks and disk magnets all available on ebay. The hard part is drilling the acrylic block and I use these drills plus a drill press- look on youtube but be very careful and use eye protection and a drill press/mounted drill, acrylic is very tough.

To glue on I use 5 minute epoxy for both attaching  to the plane and stand

30557024898_72052bf0fa_b.jpg

img

Check the centre of gravity when positioning the planes magnet (with blutack) or you might have a CFIT incident

42616285360_7f77ecb2bd_b.jpg

Done right you can pick up  the model and the stand comes with it

42616293320_ba64fe42c5_b.jpg

• Like 4

17 hours ago, stevej60 said:

That's beautifully finished Anil,just shows it's not all about pre-shading,weathering and washes which we all seem to get obsessed with most of the 

time.

Hear, hear, the "Spanish School" and their" tanks in muddy winter" grade weathering have made many a hapless kit look implausible and unattractive, then again the eye of the beholder? 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, azureglo said:

Cheers Big X, its great fun to do and I hate making ugly holes in models

It is very elegant - magic things magnets - love em :D

• Like 1

• 9 months later...