Italeri 1.35 Schnellboot S-38

Here is an update on the 1/35 scale Italeri Schnellboot commision build I am currently working on.

The hull is now complete, first attempt using the Italeri insignia red out of the bottle was not successful, to me the red was far too bright. So I decided to repaint using the same italeri paint but adding some black and few drops of brown. I think this is a much better match. The hull was then coated in a matt varnish.

The forward deck is almost complete so now the hull is finished I should see some quicker progress on it all going together. Rudder, torpedo tubes, main deck, drive shafts and propellers are all ready to go. I will post some more photos when these are altogether.

As far as the kit goes i'm very happy to be working with it, it's a nice change to be working on something in a much bigger scale. The parts are well moulded and other than the odd mould lines everything is fitting together very well.

IMG_20180819_105220.jpgIMG_20180817_234549.jpgIMG_20180817_234522.jpg

Chris Ward
www.wardsmodelbuilder.com
[email protected]

• Like 4

I like these large scale italeri boats, I have the St Nazaire raid Vosper waiting it's turn so i'll be interested to see how your Schnellboot turns out.

Having never built a boat as yet, only ever aeroplanes and targets, I'm rather new maritime modelling so any pointers and suggestions will be really helpful. Does anyone do detail sets, resin/etch etc for these large scale boats, certainly the vosper looks to be crying out for something?

Good luck

Darryl 

Here is the next update on the 1/35 Schnellboot. 

Since the hull was finish in the last update all the external pieces have now been added, Rudders, drive shafts and propellers. These all went together pretty easily.   

IMG_20180823_104842.jpgIMG_20180823_104920.jpgIMG_20180823_104831.jpgIMG_20180823_104908.jpg

Also the torpedo tubes have been added along with the hatches which were very tricky to install in a way that they actually stay closed, was having a lot of trouble with them springing open slightly. After many adjustments and way too much time, I got them right. 

Two of the deck pieces have been placed, no problems here and attached with the screws that come with the kit. 

I have now started with the cabin section of the boat and I've also started a little bit of weathering, as I didn't want to leave it to do all at the very end.

That's all for now, 

Chris

[email protected]

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the next update on the 1/35 Schnellboot, 

The cabin area is now finished along with some weathering around the cabin area. Finished the details at the front of the cabin and now starting to work backwards with the railings, antenna etc. Still need to add the windows on the top of the viewing area. Nothing has giving me too many problems other than the brass PH parts which just don't want to bend how they are supposed to. 

The centre deck piece has just been placed, so now I can start working off of that for the final pieces behind the cabin and along the length of the deck.  

Also the back section of the torpedo tubes have been done since the last update. 

All in all I feel it's coming together well, and hopefully progress will pick up a little now and I will be able to complete on time for the client!!!

IMG_20180909_194338.jpgIMG_20180909_194358.jpgIMG_20180909_194421.jpgIMG_20180909_194442.jpg IMG_20180909_194327.jpg

Any comments welcome, 

Chris

[email protected]

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the last but one  update on the Italeri  1/35 Schnellboot. 

Once the wheelhouse was complete the rest of the details down the deck have come along very quickly. All the parts connected to the back of the wheel house have been added. The only thing left are the PH windows on top of the control deck which I keep putting off!!!!

Just started with the torpedo racks and the torpedos themselves are next on the list. Then it's just the rear gun, and railings which I am looking forward to doing using the rope included in the kit. I also plan to do a little bit more weathering to the sides of the hull and the final 2/3rds of the deck. Oh and the crew then needs to be painted and set in place. 

IMG_20180917_095137.jpg

IMG_20180917_095153.jpgIMG_20180917_095206.jpg

I am hoping the last update will be later next week when the model will be finished, 

Thanks

Chris

[email protected]

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the finished model of the Schnellboot in 1/35 scale. 

I'm pretty happy with the outcome and i hope the client will be, its been a nice change from my usual car builds. I would definitely recommend the kit to anyone with an interest in ship models. Its been very enjoyable.  

IMG_20180927_141636.jpg

IMG_20180927_141745.jpgIMG_20180927_142246.jpgIMG_20180927_141839.jpgIMG_20180927_141807.jpg

Thanks

Chris

[email protected]

• Like 4

• 3 months later...

Great work looks so impressive, recently got this kit with a crew as part of a job lot now I’m really torn between selling on due to the size like I told the mrs or building it 🙂

What a lovely clean build. I fell victim to the temptation and got one of these and its crew late last year. Looking forward to building it in a few years (once I've retired).

That Tamiya Williams in the background also caught my eye - is that one of their RC kits?

Kev

• 1 year later...

Hi Chris,

I've been looking at your build with interest as I've just started this kit, and I must say that's it's great!

I know it's been a while since your last post but I hope you can answer one question, which is what blue paint did you use for the crew uniform? I normally use Mr Colour Aqueous but there doesn't seem to be anything similar. The closest I could find was Humbrol enamel #25.

Thanks again for sharing your build.

Paul