F-14A Flanker

This was a stash clearer, using my Italeri and Monogram kits up to feel better about buying the Tamiyas, AMK....

I've always liked this scheme, there's only a handful of photos that I could find including some flying and I have no idea how long the scheme was used. 

The Italeri fuselage was the base with a lot of the Monogram parts such as landing gear, vertical stabilizers, cockpit details. Aires wheels, Quickboost seats and pitot. Decals are from Two Bobs and Fightertown. Both had good references and Two Bobs has notes from the fellow who came up with the scheme.  

Colors were Light grey, ghost grey and medium grey and an off white.

iVfEF9Y.jpg

SBwz9uE.jpg136bBJ7.jpg

aeiQK7w.jpg

gM3Rkv0.jpg

V56Fi5f.jpgkIFqhIc.jpg9iGbaMv.jpgmHJhOet.jpg4BC4ZJ8.jpgx8c8OGZ.jpgClJh7da.jpgVWLy4nj.jpge7hdr3l.jpg4WrcTMD.jpg47jxsxm.jpg?1RXvAwf9.jpg5dHdT0l.jpg

• Like 54

Awesome work, I was reading about the Top Gun Tomcat's in this months Combat Aircraft, very interesting!

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, exdraken said:

The Su-35 is a conversion I guess?

Yes, Sol and the Academy kit, it needs a wash.  I had a standard camouflage Su-27 which would've shown the silhouette better than the 710 but it's undergoing a repaint/repair. 

• Like 1

That looks great! Superb paint job mate. 

The black and white areas really trick your eyes into making it look like something else. I especially like the ‘new’ medium grey ventral fins painted where the ‘navy’ would normally be...

A scheme I want to do myself one day...

Will bookmark this for reference. Cheers! 

• Thanks 1

Great build of a great subject.........I must say that I do like seeing the F-14 Tomcat in Adversary/DACT colour schemes - my favourite is the VF-74 two-tone grey scheme. WELL DONE !

I'm building the Tamiya kit at the moment and could not help but notice the 'quantum leap' in model technology when viewing your close up photos of the Italeri/Monogram kit combo. Absolutely NO disrespect to your final result, which is outstanding, but I think you will really enjoy the newer kits when you take the plunge !. 

• Thanks 1

On 8/24/2018 at 2:05 PM, Tiger331 said:

I'm building the Tamiya kit at the moment and could not help but notice the 'quantum leap' in model technology when viewing your close up photos of the Italeri/Monogram kit combo. Absolutely NO disrespect to your final result, which is outstanding, but I think you will really enjoy the newer kits when you take the plunge !

I've seen the Tamiya and it's quite a kit. I'm glad I made this one with the kits in the stash but would be happier if it had all the quality of the Tamiya for close up viewing!

At the time I wanted something less complicated than the expensive Hasegawa or Hobbyboss kits and had Monogram and Italeri on the shelves. I couldn't face the sanding and rescribing the Monogram was going to require so I chose the Italeri as the main kit for the wings and fuselage. I liked the low parts on the Italeri but found it was too simplified in a lot of areas so I used some much better detailed Monogram parts for the cockpit, landing gear struts, etc.

I'll soon reward my frugality with the Tamiya as a 1972 VF-1 which has always been a favorite.

Paul,

Totally understand and agree your logic. Those Monogram undercarriage legs etc were excellent when you consider how old the original kit is so it made sense to use them with the better fitting, but less detailed, Italeri kit. As for the Tamiya kit, I started a topic over in the 'Modern' section a couple of months back to extol the virtues of the fit with the Tamiya kit. You will find a couple of (not very good) photos over there that I posted to highlight how good the fit is. I'm sure you will have read elsewhere that some reviewers have taken to completing the Tamiya kit in sections (i.e. nose section, main fuselage, wings, fins etc) BEFORE putting them all together - the fit is that good. I'm sure you will enjoy it and I agree that the early VF-1 schemes are some of the most attractive of that era.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tiger331 said:

I'm sure you will enjoy it and I agree that the early VF-1 schemes are some of the most attractive of that era.

I'll have a look at the topic you started, thanks!

3 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Now I wish I had kept my old Revell 1/32 F-14A

I wish you had too, I'd love to see this scheme in a big, detailed 1/32 scale.