Wellington Ic Airfix T2508 37 Sqn

I'm not as quick off the mark as Tony @tonyot or Andy @general melchett at finishing one but it's pretty quick for me. This is a practically OOB build of the new Airfix kit using Tally Ho decals for S/L Peter Lemon's T2508. It is pictured in Egypt with 37 Sqn after transfer  to the desert. The striking nose art shows pictographs of the crew names and a dog-latin motto translated (nicely) as "We dump on you from the heavens".

https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-the-nose-insignia-on-vickers-wellington-mark-ic-t2508-lf-o-of-no-37-177479803.html

30258964038_faad2752b0_h.jpg[/url]

30258965348_cb3753f1ca_h.jpg[/url]

30258966398_b208fe0781_h.jpg[/url]

I used all the interior bits but I think I could have just left everything out, painted the interior matt black and lost nothing. Good on Airfix for going the whole way though.

30232289328_5214b2310d_b.jpg[/url]

There is a series of photos of this aircraft and several decal sheets, all of which have different schemes. From what's visible on the photos I have done a consensus paint job, not really disagreeing with most of the decal makers but not agreeing completely with any of them.

https://www.alamy.com/vickers-wellington-mark-ics-of-no-37-squadron-raf-being-prepared-for-a-raid-at-an-advanced-landing-ground-in-the-western-desert-probably-lg-09bir-koraiyim-during-bombing-operations-against-italian-ports-and-airfields-in-libya-groundcrew-are-about-to-refuel-t2508-lf-o-which-has-just-had-its-port-mainwheel-replaced-after-bursting-a-tyre-on-landing-image178277322.html

Early Wellingtons had a perspex cover on the front of the DF loop cover, usually in an orange-yellow-brown colour. It may be the this is all T2508 had but the tonal similarity of the football to the fin flash seemed more than a coincidence.

43408189624_dbd154748f.jpg[/url]  30258964328_fcc0e6c609.jpg

I must say I share the enthusiasm of other builders of this kit here. I really enjoyed it and I hope Airfix sell a lot of them. I'm planning more!

• Like 40

Great to see another one built Ed, interesting choice and lovely job. As you say you can leave the interior out if need be, something that may well appeal to new modellers or those just wanting a fast build. All the extra detail is reflected in the price, but for us detail nerds it's a nice bonus, (I was considering building a cutaway version to make the most of it). 

That is an interesting post. Those photos must have been taken in 1941. My friend Reg had a ride in "O" when he first got to the Desert. It took him to LG09 where his Squadron was which was 37 squadron. 

It seems in 1942 the new planes dropped the "LF" off the side of the planes. Reg's "B" only had the aircraft letter on it. The "B" you see in those photos was lost I think. His plane must have

replaced it. I will be doing "B" once my painting skills improve. 

Edited by Greg Law
  • Like 2

Thanks for the comments everyone, most appreciated.

@Greg Law37 Sqn used the Wellington IC from October 1940-March 1943 so the pictures must be within these dates. You can narrow it down more from the picture caption of Shallufa in Egypt where 37 was based from 17 December 1940 until 25 April 1942 so your estimate of 1941 is likely correct.

@VinnieWhile I agree the Airfix kit is better than previous Wellingtons I think quite a decent model can be made from the previous ones. There are plenty of examples out there, notably the multi-build done by @tonyot. Even the old Matchbox kit can be made into a good model.

Ed.

Did you get a kit with the distorted E2 undercarriage part. I did and Airfix was kind enough to send me a replacement.

Guess what! It turned out to be the same distorted part I had asked them to replace. Almost makes you weep.... 

So if you have a distorted part E2 ask for it to be replaced by an E1 part. Just a tip...

@Greg Law  Yes indeed, mine was distorted but it was not difficult to fix with hot water and a bit of pressure. I actually fitted the retraction jacks without cementing in the undercarriage struts so I could leave them until later in the process. This worked fine. I think there has been a mould problem here as every kit I have seen has the same minor issue. That would explain your replacement part! Sure, it shouldn't happen but I'm prepared to forgive a minor glitch in an otherwise excellent kit.

4 hours ago, Ed Russell said:

@Greg Law  Yes indeed, mine was distorted but it was not difficult to fix with hot water and a bit of pressure. I actually fitted the retraction jacks without cementing in the undercarriage struts so I could leave them until later in the process. This worked fine. I think there has been a mould problem here as every kit I have seen has the same minor issue. That would explain your replacement part! Sure, it shouldn't happen but I'm prepared to forgive a minor glitch in an otherwise excellent kit.

You are right. I'm certain it is a mould problem after they replaced the same distorted part with a distorted part. Now they want me to send another photo again.

After I made it clear what the issue is. Also it is a known problem. Why make a customer go through such a hassle when you know this problem exists?

Still, I still like Airfix as they have given us some amazing kits laterly and the Wellington is one of the best.

• 1 year later...
9 hours ago, Ed Russell said:

@Greg Law - you will be pleased to know that my newly arrived Airfix GR.VIII has perfectly moulded retraction jacks.

I was able to help out a friend who was building one by straightening his out in my press. I told him it took hours but it was about 5 minutes work!

That is good to hear they have fixed the problem.  They finally did send me the correct part. 

@John Look in your  2014 thread

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234955191-wellington-t2508-a-school-project/

at post 3 and you will see the haggis is  F/Sgt H P Hever. I think your guy is W/O Graham Wilson. It would be nice to list each crew member by pictograph. "Cheese" Lemon is the flying lemon (below the cheese) in the middle.

• Thanks 1