1/32 Corsair F4U-1D

Good Afternoon chaps,

Right ho !

Seeing as building is slowing down on the Swordfish and its in to painting, weathering and final assembly my mind has begun to wonder onto what's next.....

Cue fanfair !!!!!!!!

2018-08-18_04-53-11

Yes I know its hopelessly ambitious and it might all end as a horrible disaster but either way I'm determined to have fun and hopefully learn a few things.

Not sure how long this will take or how much of the extras will find their way into the final model as its all new ground to me.

Hope you'll follow an idiot on his intrepid adventure !, if you do be warned lol

Toodle Pip !

Alan

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Got a chance to have a look at the Corsair this afternoon and thought I'd check out what the hype is about resin extras, I built one of the cockpit sides from the kit then built resin version.

2018-08-27_05-24-21

Quite blown away with the difference in the extra detail that's on show, though how much will be visible when its in the plane is questionable, I'm going to attempt to paint it anyway and see how we go from there.

Cheers for now 

Alan.

• Like 6

Odd isn't it because without the resin kit sitting there you'd say there was a lot of detail in the actual kit. Thanks for the comparative photo I like to use these examples from the extras for ideas of what to scratch and add myself. If I wasn't on such a budget I'd probably buy the extras but for now while I still have so many paints and tools to acquire I have to make do with imagination and household goods.

Looking forward to seeing it painted up.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KelT said:

Odd isn't it because without the resin kit sitting there you'd say there was a lot of detail in the actual kit. Thanks for the comparative photo I like to use these examples from the extras for ideas of what to scratch and add myself. If I wasn't on such a budget I'd probably buy the extras but for now while I still have so many paints and tools to acquire I have to make do with imagination and household goods.

Looking forward to seeing it painted up.

Hi,

Have to admit I picked the kit up secondhand and it came with all the extras included, no way I would have paid for them myself, only thing I did buy was the reference book, it's really interesting.

Alan

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Sorry for the delay in updates life keeps getting in the way dammit !

I have been experimenting with some of the photoetch....is it me or is it really difficult ?.

Managed to get a bit done on one of the wings as I want to perhaps finish the model with wings folded !

2018-09-18_08-04-48

Will try and get some more photos up tomorrow of the flaps as I've fitted the hinges to these, but there is still more photoetch to do !

Ta Ta for now

Alan

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

Oooh a 1/32 Corsair. I’ll tag along for this one if that’s ok.:popcorn:

the office looks like a real treat.

if you don’t have one already I can highly recommend a PE bending tool. Invaluable bit of kit.

Johnny. 

Glad to have you along.....

Yeah I have abending tool but biggest problem I found was getting the bits to stick !, picked up some kicker at the weekend and that seems to be making things a little better !

Alan

• Like 1

Going to watch this with interest I've got the Tamiya 1/32 kit will be interesting to see how they compare.  

Resin and PE can be really enhancing, but IMHO you have to be very selective as in many cases you can't see it when the model is completed and as you pointed out it costs a small fortune often can be twice as much as the kit it's self.  I personally don't go for Big Ed anymore especially in 1/72 it really can be just money down the drain as you just can't see a very high proportion of it.     

14 hours ago, Quietstorm7 said:

This was the closest I could find this morning so will give this a try...thanks for the tip 👍

2018-09-20_08-10-19

That should be ok. It’s the same brand but a different glue. I used the gel as there is no risk of the runs. 🤪

Last model I completed was the Tamiya 1/32 version of this model. Will take a seat and watch this with interest to so how they compare. I didn't do (too much monies) any PE on mine (except what came as part of the kit), mine was strictly OOTB!

I second Gorilla glue, its what I used and did well for me.