R5-DP and Mara Jade 1/12 scale

I would try and line under/over with a dark skin tone before trying to strip. You've got both eyes pointing in the same direction which is tricky enough!

It looks like your paint might be a little bit thick? It's tricky with details as you want it to flow but not run, and if you're hesitant it will be drying out on the brush while you're lining up your stroke.

What size brush are you using? If it's a teeny tiny one you might need to thin more, or switch up to a bigger size so the extra liquid in the brush keeps the tip fluid for longer.

HTH,

Will

19 hours ago, Will Vale said:

I would try and line under/over with a dark skin tone before trying to strip. You've got both eyes pointing in the same direction which is tricky enough!

It looks like your paint might be a little bit thick? It's tricky with details as you want it to flow but not run, and if you're hesitant it will be drying out on the brush while you're lining up your stroke.

What size brush are you using? If it's a teeny tiny one you might need to thin more, or switch up to a bigger size so the extra liquid in the brush keeps the tip fluid for longer.

HTH,

Will

Cheers for your help Will, so I tried the dark skin and it's still looked naff, so I cleaned the eyes out with thinners and tried to thin the paint a bit more and I got to this 3rd time around. I think I need to practise on paper or something. 

The brush I'm using is the small detail brush from GW. 

So it's not great but it's a bit better, I might add the light reflective white and it than even it up a bit and go with the darker skin around the eye again. 

Thoughts please anyone? 

IMG_20180917_191506.jpg

Edited by rockpopandchips

1 hour ago, rockpopandchips said:

The brush I'm using is the small detail brush from GW. 

Thoughts please anyone? 

I think it looks pretty good and you're probably being overly critical of yourself, but who doesn't do that? So I completely understand. In regards to the brush, as Will suggested, I would say move up to a larger brush. A brand new GW standard brush (although I see they've reinvented all their brush names again, and no doubt moved to cheaper materials than they used to use) is all you should need. The key to good, fine detail painting is good consistency, fine pigment paint, suitably thinned and a brush that has a really nice natural point to it. I've recently bought into the "hype" of the Windsor and Newton series 7 and I was skeptical as they're not cheap (at least here in NZ). All I can say is I'm gutted I didn't do it 20 years ago. I got a 00 and a 2 and I've not need to use the 00 and I'm using this on 28mm ww2 figures to paint camo on uniform and webbing straps etc. Combining this with Vallejo paints, properly thinned has changed my life... Well, perhaps not my life, but certainly miniature painting. If you do get a more expensive brush, definitely get some brush soap and have a read up on proper cleaning and storing, for instance I had no idea that you should store brushes pointing down so that any water runs off the brush and not into it!

Da Cheers James, thanks for that I will look into the brush thing a bit more as a W&N No7 can be picked up here for around £10 so not to expensive. 

I have gone with it last night and added a few more base colours and she is looking slightly better, a dab of gloss in the eye helped a lot. 

IMG_20180918_061530.jpg

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Caerbannog said:

Comes together nicely. The weathering on the boot tips is very convincing.

Rene

Cheers was a bit of experiment the boots, used a light grey under coat ( halfords stuff ) covered that with tamiya gloss back let it all dry and then used a bit of rag with IPA on to wipe away some of the black revealing the grey, a few splashes of Vallejo black and sepia wash to finish, as usual a total fluke it come out looking ok. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Chief Smeg said:

This bit I am interested in, I’m hoping to get some tips here for dio builds

I'm not doing anything complicated now just a quick tatooine street dio, something I can add a stormtrooper to as the mood takes me. I do need some sort of wall mechanism next and other small bits, led light inside the arch. Then I will render the wall with a mixe of light sand and plaster, sharp sand and plaster for the ground/street.

IMG_20180928_181109.jpg

• Like 3