Big ideas about a big wing

Standing by, poised! Love the big wing Canberras.

I was wondering how feasible an RB-57F conversion would be, but I don't think resin is really a suitable material for this. More like vac wings... But I haven't got machines large enough for either anyway. Could be an HPH job!

Jeffrey

21 hours ago, canberra kid said:

xFPpoN.jpg

John 

Just catching up on this one. A most impressive venture and a true light bulb moment! I missed your original RB-57D build, is there a link you could point me to?

If this comes out as good as the D we are in for a rather large treat!

Terry

8 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Just catching up on this one. A most impressive venture and a true light bulb moment! I missed your original RB-57D build, is there a link you could point me to?

If this comes out as good as the D we are in for a rather large treat!

Terry

@Terry1954  Thanks Tery! I hope I can pull this one off too, the D was a good learning experience, this is a link to the WIP RB.57D build

9 hours ago, JeffreyK said:

Standing by, poised! Love the big wing Canberras.

I was wondering how feasible an RB-57F conversion would be, but I don't think resin is really a suitable material for this. More like vac wings... But I haven't got machines large enough for either anyway. Could be an HPH job!

Jeffrey

wellcome along Jeffrey, there was/is a resin kit of the F in 1/48 god knows how much it weighs in at though! 

John  

Edited by canberra kid
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, JeffreyK said:

I know, there was the Collect Aire kit, but apart from it's other issues (https://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/kits/coll/kit_coll_wb-57.shtml) I still think resin is not great for the wings unless cast in halves and thin, but with some sort of spar reinforcement made of metal, carbon rod or fibreglass. 

J

@JeffreyK I agree, unless you can some how get a hollow core I don't think resin would work atall, warping would be an issue let alone the weight! 

John  

As it stands, this is the one I'm going for,  63-13286 the first RB.57F built, this and the second RB.57F 63-13287 were built specifically for Pee Wee III. Pee Wee I, II&III were all monitoring flights from Pakistan of Soviet weapons tests, all flown by Canberra's. If I can't crack the J.60 pod issue I my go for a NASA WB.57F but that's a long way down the road yet.

xaeR0x.jpg

John

Edited by canberra kid
punctuation
  • Like 8

53 minutes ago, canberra kid said:

Thanks John. I just had a good look at the WIP for this and now the RFI. Beautiful!

Many years ago (early 70's) I had the pleasure of working in the MOD as part of the project team that oversaw Canberra refurb's for the RAF. Lightnings and JP's too for that matter. I spent many happy hours with the then BAC staff at Warton, Preston and Samlesbury, and also Shorts in Belfast for the PR9. At Samlesbury in particular I was able to climb inside and all over many Canberra's. I recall one occasion that sticks out in my mind of being allowed in the paint shop just after they had sprayed up freshly refurbished Navy TT18 - the smell of the paint! .......... bliss for a young 20's something enthusiast!

I guess I'll have to build one soon. I have the S&M B2 in the stash.

Cheers

Terry

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Thanks John. I just had a good look at the WIP for this and now the RFI. Beautiful!

Many years ago (early 70's) I had the pleasure of working in the MOD as part of the project team that oversaw Canberra refurb's for the RAF. Lightnings and JP's too for that matter. I spent many happy hours with the then BAC staff at Warton, Preston and Samlesbury, and also Shorts in Belfast for the PR9. At Samlesbury in particular I was able to climb inside and all over many Canberra's. I recall one occasion that sticks out in my mind of being allowed in the paint shop just after they had sprayed up freshly refurbished Navy TT18 - the smell of the paint! .......... bliss for a young 20's something enthusiast!

I guess I'll have to build one soon. I have the S&M B2 in the stash.

Cheers

Terry

Thanks Terry, glad you like her! I bet that was an interesting job, it's a shame you couldn't have persuaded them to build a few more/not scrap any more, they may have still been some around doing what they do best! I remember talking to someone at a Warton family's day in the Canberra Jaguar office who said they were working on a costing for the MoD on re-opening the PR.9 line, obviously nothing came of it,    

John 

• Like 1

A bit of work on the wings, I had the choice of using the Classic Air frames or Airfix wheel wells, after thinking about it I decided on the Airfix one's for two reasons, 1, on the RB.57D and RB.57F as a weight saving measure as much unnecessary equipment was removed or re-designed so the very nice CA resin wheel well's would be a bit too good, 2 The method of attachment of the main u/c leg to the well, CA have gone for a very authentic attachment which on the B.57B's is fine but for what is going to me a very heavy model I thought the Airfix square peg in a square hole would make for a stronger joint. I've ordered the SAC white metal set for the Airfix B.57.

x5XLxG.jpg

I've also removed the outer wing section.

x5XeXY.jpg

John

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, perdu said:

Like the D this is going to become a regular fix John, I do like a hearty bit of scratchery

I'm along for the ride

high wide and handsome gorgeous machinery

Welcome aboard Bill, I think she's handsome in her own way, I just hope I can do her justice, it's a big job in more ways than one! :)

John  

19 hours ago, canberra kid said:

The seat's have arrived, as is often the case, Aeroclub are the only place to go, 

How true John.

It saddens me to think of the stocks running low of their estimable products now and prices in some cases creeping higher and higher.

I'd happily lay down a stock of Aeroclub metal just to preserve a minituarized part of our industrial heritage.

In all this lamenting I nearly forgot to add a bravo on the latest wing work so err...Bravo! :smile:

• Like 2

I remember in the old Airfix Magazine, Bryan Philpot did a conversion in 1/72 and he used a balsa core covered with plastic card for the outer wing. Could something similar be used in 1/48 ? Also in an old Aerophile Magazine 2/3 there was a very good article about the RB-57F with lots of information about the aircraft.

Robert

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TheBaron said:

How true John.

It saddens me to think of the stocks running low of their estimable products now and prices in some cases creeping higher and higher.

I'd happily lay down a stock of Aeroclub metal just to preserve a minituarized part of our industrial heritage.

In all this lamenting I nearly forgot to add a bravo on the latest wing work so err...Bravo! :smile:

Thanks! It is a sad loss to the modeling world, perhaps they will return in some form in time, let's hope!

9 hours ago, Robert said:

I remember in the old Airfix Magazine, Bryan Philpot did a conversion in 1/72 and he used a balsa core covered with plastic card for the outer wing. Could something similar be used in 1/48 ? Also in an old Aerophile Magazine 2/3 there was a very good article about the RB-57F with lots of information about the aircraft.

Robert

I did think long and hard about the various options for the wing when I was planning my RB.57D, non of which I felt I could execute with any degree of proficiency, in the end the bath panel was for me the only option that I thought I could realistically achieve. The Aerophile magazine article is a very good reference. I'm also blessed with rather a large photo reference of my own. :)

John       

• Like 1

On 8/27/2018 at 2:59 PM, canberra kid said:

Thanks Terry, glad you like her! I bet that was an interesting job, it's a shame you couldn't have persuaded them to build a few more/not scrap any more, they may have still been some around doing what they do best!

Sadly John I was an un-influential member of a large team! I did get to see some interesting Canberra stuff though.

Great progress here, and an incredible reminder of just how much bigger those wings were over the standard B-57.

Terry

• Like 1

On 9/3/2018 at 11:06 PM, Terry1954 said:

Sadly John I was an un-influential member of a large team! I did get to see some interesting Canberra stuff though.

Great progress here, and an incredible reminder of just how much bigger those wings were over the standard B-57.

Terry

She is a big old bird Terry! I bet you heard some interesting things at those meeting. I'd like to be a fly on the wall ;)

John

3 hours ago, canberra kid said:

I bet you heard some interesting things at those meeting. I'd like to be a fly on the wall ;)

Learned things about, and heard tales of, Canberra's that would make your hair stand on end .............😲

• Like 1

On 9/5/2018 at 8:45 PM, TheBaron said:

You always do John.

Immaculatum Canberritas!

(Must be the spell you chant when magicking these aircraft) :thumbsup2:

I'll try that Tony if the magic works half as well as it did with your last build I'll be happy! 

21 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Learned things about, and heard tales of, Canberra's that would make your hair stand on end .............😲

I'll happily risk my diminishing follicle reserve Terry if you want to spill the beans :) 

John   

• Like 1