Big ideas about a big wing

Nice work with the vortex generators, very fiddly! Personally, I would have used K&S (or similar) brass shimstock. Nice and this and sturdy.

Colin

Edited by heloman1
extra text
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Hamden said:

Tail feathers are looking good John

Roger

Thanks Roger!

3 hours ago, heloman1 said:

Nice work with the vortex generators, very fiddly! Personally, I would have used K&S (or similar) brass shimstock. Nice and this and sturdy.

Colin

Thanks Colin, it was less of a task than I was expecting, really I should have used the same Aluminium that I used on the engine fan but I decided to go for joint strength over accurate thickness, the thought of having some of them getting knocked or falling off over time was on my mind when I went for the plastic ones. 

2 hours ago, SA80A2AR said:

looks very nice.  considered leaving it in grey primer??

It would be nice if I could avoid neutral mettel, but other than the NASA scheme, which are nice I wanted an operational USAF RB.57F specifically one of the two Pee Wee III aircraft used in Pakistan. There is an unsubstantiated AFP camouflage scheme but it only exists as an illustration, as far as I know, other than the removal of the USAF markings and addition of AFP roundels nothing was changed. 

John             

Edited by canberra kid
missing my t

On 1/6/2019 at 7:22 PM, 72modeler said:

OMG- what did you use? A spider and a three-inch whip? Those vortex generators look outstanding! 👍

Mike

On 1/6/2019 at 7:43 PM, TheBaron said:

Hugely impressed at what you're achieving here John.

Thanks chaps! it's been a fun ride :)

John

Ok, her tail feathers are now complete, I've painted the canopy frames and added the seats, I need to add the sun shades on the inside of the canopy then I can seal it all up. I've not got as much done this weekend as I was hoping as I've managed to brake on of my ribs so I'm a wee bit below the curve at the moment. 

BhkAac.jpg

John  

• Like 8
  • Sad 2

Just caught up with this one, don't know how I missed it. John, this is incredible work - and what a cool variant to build. I can't wait for you to start painting her, she's going to be a beauty.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

16 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Looking better all the time, John! Sorry to hear about the rib- did you drop the nose weight for the '57 on your chest? 😜

Mike

Ha! not this time Mike, but that would do it! I know it's rood to talk about a ladies weight but she's tipping the scales at 1.5 lbs and she's got a bit more to go. 😊

John

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Just caught up with this one, don't know how I missed it. John, this is incredible work - and what a cool variant to build. I can't wait for you to start painting her, she's going to be a beauty.

Cheers,

Bill

Hi Bill, thank you, after building the RB.57D it had to happen I guess and ones I found a way around the engine issue I'd run out of excuses. 😊

John

3 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Why do I find that sunshade so engaging? :laugh:

A human detail amidst the machinery perhaps....

Sorry to hear about the rib John but glad you're on the mend.

Thanks mate, I'm well on the mend now. I like the sun shades too, they do add a human touch.

John

• Like 1

On 1/21/2019 at 7:24 PM, 72modeler said:

John,

Just stumbled onto this video; guessing you already have seen it, but just in case...

Mike

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2MWN5GFQic

Nice one Mike! I've not seen it before, I do have a few (358) photos of her under restoration, but it's nice to see her moving, thanks very much for the link!

John

Possibly the last up-date before she's done? Into the paintshop today,

BtHsN1.jpg

Halfords Aluminium is the order of the day.

BtHauJ.jpg

There is still a lot of detail painting to do and some odd's and sod's to add, but it looks like she may well be ready for her public debut at the Halifax model show, next month.

John  

• Like 9