Big ideas about a big wing

big wing!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 more like a hugely massive wing!  how much of your house have you used on this project?

it is always nice to see a master at work

epic work👍

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, TheBaron said:

I'm pretty sure you could break up some  doll's house furniture for that John, after all, you've got form at magicking domestic fittings into aircraft...

Beautiful patient work as always! :thumbsup:

I've had a good look around Tony, but it turns out 1930's houses have very little to offer in the way of cockpit fittings! so it looks like I'm going have to go to plan B

John

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, SA80A2AR said:

big wing!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 more like a hugely massive wing!  how much of your house have you used on this project?

it is always nice to see a master at work

epic work👍

Thank you, It is big! I keep catching myself looking at and thing, hell, that's big! It's amazing what everyday objects can be pressed into the service of a higher cause :)  

John 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just catching up with this inbetween moving stuff fromone house to another.

Great progress there John. I can see your dilemma regarding to cockpit. Ithink you've got the right balance with the sun shades and the upgraded bang seats too.

Looking forward to seeing more.

• Like 1

On 12/7/2018 at 12:22 PM, Mikey-1980 said:

Just catching up with this inbetween moving stuff fromone house to another.

Great progress there John. I can see your dilemma regarding to cockpit. Ithink you've got the right balance with the sun shades and the upgraded bang seats too.

Looking forward to seeing more.

Thanks Mikey, I did have a rethink on the cockpit and went for the CMK resin, I'll do a full update soon.

John

• Like 1

Well, this is the CMK cockpit it's a big improvement on the Airfix offering, I've not gone to town with the painting as I suspect very little will be seen,

Bvn0Wf.jpg

It fits well 

Bvn9l6.jpg

I've got the tail fin fixed in place too, it'll soon be time to look at the vortex generators, I'll need to do a bit of planning for them still though.

BvneMp.jpg

John 

Edited by canberra kid
  • Like 10

I've topped up the filler on the fuselage and at the base of the fin, 

BrCUUA.jpg

Whilst that was drying I did a bit of work on the undercarriage, I'm using my own B.57 wheels which have been kindly cast by my fellow SIG man Gary.

BrCQsY.jpg

Pouring  blocks removed from wheels and cleaned up. The main doors have been worked on too, I've cut the channels for the wheel door mounted landing lights.

BrCXfG.jpg

John

• Like 8

A milestone reached today, the wings are now attached, she will need a lot of filling to make up the difference in wing chord still. 

BaaQXe.jpg

I've also added the upper fuselage equipment hatch which is unique the the RB.57F 

BaaCFF.jpgA comparison photo of the 1/72 scale Mack2 RB.57F and my 1/48 build

BaaU0X.jpg

John 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

John,

She's getting closer and closer all the time- looking good! Hoping you and the Missus had a safe and happy holiday...it was 21 degrees C here in sunny south central Texas yesterday- go figure!

Mike

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Vesa Jussila said:

Very interesting project. And some good tips to my Mach2 project, that I hope to start some day.

Thanks Vesa, it's been a good test of my skill's but I'm enjoying the process and it will be nice to have a big long wing in the stable.

John 

20 hours ago, 72modeler said:

John,

She's getting closer and closer all the time- looking good! Hoping you and the Missus had a safe and happy holiday...it was 21 degrees C here in sunny south central Texas yesterday- go figure!

Mike

Thanks Mike, she's moving along, I would get more done if it was 21c, here at the moment it's a rather cool 5c very dull and overcast and not ideal for modeling! I hope you and her self had a good Christmas, and all the best for 2019!

John

I've now added the very large intakes under the nacelles, this is the first ruff shape before I start to clean them up, 

BlJgDn.jpg

I've also given her a blast over with the grey primer to see which areas need more work, quite a lot is the answer, but that is what I was expecting.

BlJAa2.jpg

John

• Like 10

2 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Looking good in primer. You obviously have a lens with a good depth of field to get it all in focus.

John

Thanks John, it's costing me a small fortune in can's of primer! As for the photo, I can't claim any credit for the depth of field, I use a little point and shoot Cannon which takes all the guess work out of such things, the technology in such cameras no doubt came from the systems used on such aircraft.

John 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

That is some expanse of aircraft you have there now John! A most pleasurable - not to mention educational - catchup on progess. Lovely stuff to behold.

Thanks Tony, she is big, when I have to put a model on the floor to get it all in on a photo, that's big in my book! :) If it's oppen I'm off shopping today for some more green stuff, I'm going to need it! :)

John

• Like 2
  • Haha 1