Big ideas about a big wing

3 hours ago, heloman1 said:

I tell you what John, I'm impressed with your work. The wing, epic, the engine intakes with the tin, fantastic. When you get to the vortex generators and swirly bits, I think I'm going to wet myself...

Colin

Thanks Colin, I think I may well do the same when it comes to VG's :)

John

• Haha 2

Well 69 blades later, I can call the TF.33's done! If I hadn't destroyed the first one I made up it would only have been 46, oh well that's what happens when you are making it up as you go along I guess. Anyway I can now get back to working on the wings. The fun never stops! :)

xfd1as.jpg

John  

• Like 9

1 hour ago, canberra kid said:

Well 69 blades later, I can call the TF.33's done! If I hadn't destroyed the first one I made up it would only have been 46, oh well that's what happens when you are making it up as you go along I guess. Anyway I can now get back to working on the wings. The fun never stops! :)

xfd1as.jpg

John  

I hope you balanced the blades, John, as there's going to be hell to pay when those puppies spool up for the first  time! Ha! 😜 Looking good, my Friend. (Just got an AMP T11- now I need to re-read all of your comments to see if I can make a decent B2 out of it. I do have a couple of the Aerolcub vacform  nosecap and front fuselage correction sets for the old Airfix kit.)

Mike

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 10/24/2018 at 9:50 PM, canberra kid said:

Thanks Graham, it's one of three, one day I want to revisit them in 1/48

xKLAVD.jpg

I've not seen the like of such markings on aircraft before John, but to my eye they look like the kind of resolution markings used on photographic test cards to calibrate cameras. That's not the case here, is it?

Your latest wheeze of light fittings and coke can fans continues to see you slowly cannibalize your house for higher purposes. I may have to put your forward for the New Year Honours list for services to sheer bloody inventive modelling.

Just fantastic! :clap:

• Like 1

16 hours ago, 72modeler said:

I hope you balanced the blades, John, as there's going to be hell to pay when those puppies spool up for the first  time! Ha! 😜 Looking good, my Friend. (Just got an AMP T11- now I need to re-read all of your comments to see if I can make a decent B2 out of it. I do have a couple of the Aerolcub vacform  nosecap and front fuselage correction sets for the old Airfix kit.)

Mike

Thanks Mike, I did my best with them, but I'll be standing well back when they spool up! 😉 How dose the T.11 look does that one have the B.2 wheels? As it is it looks every bit a Canberra out of the box, it all depends on how picky you want to be.

John

14 hours ago, TheBaron said:

I've not seen the like of such markings on aircraft before John, but to my eye they look like the kind of resolution markings used on photographic test cards to calibrate cameras. That's not the case here, is it?

Your latest wheeze of light fittings and coke can fans continues to see you slowly cannibalize your house for higher purposes. I may have to put your forward for the New Year Honours list for services to sheer bloody inventive modelling.

Just fantastic! :clap:

Thanks mate, you are spot on with your guess More photos  This is a little explanatory page I did for shows,

x0XaYp.jpg

And a press release from the time, not giving the full story.

x0XFh6.jpg

x0X3xf.jpg

John 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, 72modeler said:

I hope you balanced the blades, John, as there's going to be hell to pay when those puppies spool up for the first  time!

Absolutely. Could be very messy indeed!

Brilliant work on those blades John, and some interesting stuff on the photo calibration/testing that was carried out.

Terry

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Absolutely. Could be very messy indeed!

Brilliant work on those blades John, and some interesting stuff on the photo calibration/testing that was carried out.

Terry

Thanks Terry, it just goes to show even after so long there are still thing to discover!

John

• Like 1

Catching up, and those engines looks spectacular...fantastic work there :)

Also really enjoying reading about the various types of Canberra's and their various roles through out history. I'm intregued as to how and where you obtain all of your documents?

Brilliant work :)

7 hours ago, Mikey-1980 said:

Catching up, and those engines looks spectacular...fantastic work there :)

Also really enjoying reading about the various types of Canberra's and their various roles through out history. I'm intregued as to how and where you obtain all of your documents?

Brilliant work :)

Thanks Mikey, the Canberra is a very big and often frustrating subject which is one of the main reasons I'm so obsessed with her as a type, I've been lucky with knowing people that have been closely connected with the old girl and have been more than generous with sharing the collected knowledge and historic documents. 

John   

• Like 1

All being well this is the last phase of work on the big wing; I've marked out the inboard panels prior to scribing, these are very diferant to the 'standard' panel pattern on Canberra's. Although GD did try to change as little of the wing structure as possible, they did learn a lot of very important lessons from the RB.57D wing failures. 

xPobwD.jpg

John     

• Like 4

The first look at the fuselage, I've circled in red the areas that will need filling and removing, one of the oddities with the airfix Canberra is that have indicated 6 fuel filler points on the fuselage crown, which is 4 too many for a standard B.57 and 6 too many for the F so they will be filled. the air brakes also need to go. The 2 lumps one on top and one underneath the fuselage just behind the bomb bay also need to go, these are rather poor representations of the SHORAN antenna, they should be dommed circles, not oval as molded, they would have been better as separate items as in the CA kit as they are not fitted to all B.57's, again they are not applicable to the F so off they come! The hole for the fuel vapor vent mast needs to go too. 

xPvriM.jpg   

John

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I have a bit of a dilemma now, how much effort do I put into the cockpit? How much can you see through the Airfix canopy? I suspect not a lot? plus I'll be adding the sun shades, making the clear area for viewing even smaller; I'm thinking just a good painting of what Airfix supplied plus the Aeroclub seats should do it?

xZ39OY.jpg

John

• Like 4

In the meantime, I'm on with the longer F nose radome, the new nose is 18 inch longer than the Pee Wee 1-2 option supplied in the Airfix kit. I've done the basic shape in milliput which I will fine tune with green stuff when the milliput is set. The photo shows the three nose sections together, left to right, RB.57F, Pee Wee 1-2 and standard B.

xZaXr8.jpg

John  

• Like 3

7 hours ago, canberra kid said:

I have a bit of a dilemma now, how much effort do I put into the cockpit?

John,

You could always wuss out and do a tarp over the canopy! Why am I thinking the nose section looks like the tailcone on a Black Buck Vulcan? ( I'm still trying to wrap my head around bathroom light fixtures on a Canberra!) BTW, are the wheels/tyres that came with the original Airfix BMk 2 decent? I just found out I have three sets of them!

Mike

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, 72modeler said:

John,

You could always wuss out and do a tarp over the canopy! Why am I thinking the nose section looks like the tailcone on a Black Buck Vulcan? ( I'm still trying to wrap my head around bathroom light fixtures on a Canberra!) BTW, are the wheels/tyres that came with the original Airfix BMk 2 decent? I just found out I have three sets of them!

Mike

I'd never do that Mike! a sun shade perhaps :) Vulcan Tail cone? You're right mike it does now you mention it, it's a shame it doesn't look like the nose it should, a Patricia Lynn RB.57E but that's another story. As for the wheels, I take it you mean the 1/72 kit? If so, yes they are good to a point, they are the only pre mod 'Big wheel' just right for early B.6 and B(I)6 and PR.7's I can't remember exactly when the mod cam in but 1963/4 rings a bell, that's the good news, the bad is the tyre is the wrong profile, being too 'squire' but if you round of the edges to make it look rounder it looks good,

John   

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, canberra kid said:

how much effort do I put into the cockpit

I'm pretty sure you could break up some  doll's house furniture for that John, after all, you've got form at magicking domestic fittings into aircraft...

Beautiful patient work as always! :thumbsup:

• Haha 1

I just found out that a fellow instructor is ex-Canberra, and Victor tankers!

I mentioned the pic I saw somewhere on one of your posts (I think!) of the open nose, and ejector seat mounted inside, which he hadn't heard of. I can't find it, any chance of reposting it if it was you?

Ian

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, limeypilot said:

I just found out that a fellow instructor is ex-Canberra, and Victor tankers!

I mentioned the pic I saw somewhere on one of your posts (I think!) of the open nose, and ejector seat mounted inside, which he hadn't heard of. I can't find it, any chance of reposting it if it was you?

Ian

Ian this is the PR.9's Navigator station 

xZ0SFq.jpg

John

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1