Big ideas about a big wing

11 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Looking really good now John. Fascinated with those vortex generators, and how you plan to attach them all!

Terry

4 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Me too

John

Well, good question, the way I'm thinking at the moment is just to Mark a line on the surface as a guide, and superglue each one in position. The top side is just one row the underside has two rows. The VG's are V shaped with a gap at the front just to make it even more fun! 🤣 I should really use thinner sheet but I need to compromise between joint strength and being accurate.

John

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Biggles87 said:

Rather you than me:crosseyed:

John

John, when I first thought that there may be a chance I could actually do this build I thought the wings and engines would be the big hurdle, but as it's turning out it may well be the smallest of things that is going to the biggest headache! but I'm determined to see it through.

T'other John 

• Like 4

Thanks to a colleague in the Airliner SIG I now have a set of fans. well the back row of fans, apparently they are from a 1/72 DC.10! I need to replace the centre body with something more streamlined, and add another fan in front of this one which will have to be another scratch build job, the fun never stops! :)

x7GNAY.jpg

John 

• Like 7

Back to the engine room, I've worked out a way to do the outer disc for the front fan, turning to the remains of the light fitting, a good side effect of using this is I can use the thread to 'screw' the two parts together! I've also found two drop tanks that would serve as the center body after cutting down. happy days!

xKB5F5.jpg

xKBjLD.jpg

xKBa1d.jpg

xKBFcq.jpg

xKBsy8.jpg

John

• Like 10

5 minutes ago, canberra kid said:

As these helpful gentlemen are pointing out, this is what I'm aiming for with the engine, wish me luck! :)

xKi5jq.jpg

John 

You’ll manage, John, we have confidence in you.

Good stuff, really enjoying this build.

Graham

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Scimitar said:

A doddle John..only 46 !

How about drawing a blade on a thicker sheet of metal,cutting it out and using the resulting hole as a template to score the rest on the aluminium?

I know, if it was 50 I'd have something to moan about! :) Good idea, I may well try that, something to think about. at the moment I'm think about tinsel, I've had luck with Christmas decorations before, 

xKJiCs.jpg

John

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, canberra kid said:

I know, if it was 50 I'd have something to moan about! :) Good idea, I may well try that, something to think about. at the moment I'm think about tinsel, I've had luck with Christmas decorations before, 

xKJiCs.jpg

John

That paint scheme is absolutely fab, love it.

Graham

• Like 1

I tell you what John, I'm impressed with your work. The wing, epic, the engine intakes with the tin, fantastic. When you get to the vortex generators and swirly bits, I think I'm going to wet myself...

Colin

• Haha 4