Big ideas about a big wing

12 hours ago, perdu said:

This is going to be a brillant monster machine

I think you have the concept just right here John

(and the finished result is always better when you have made your ideas work out)

Thanks, it seams to be happening to plan, but I still have some tricky things to overcome. Time will tell :)

John

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MarcNewitt said:

Wow, that is all I can say! Just..... WOW.

For the love of Canberras this is going to be epic. Very best of luck with this although going by what I have seen from the D you built this shouldn't cause you too much trouble!

Regards

Marc

Thanks Marc, fingers crossed! :)

John

On ‎9‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 10:45 PM, MarcB said:

everything could help !

Holy Cow.. How big ? Or have you bought a half scale 12" Rule ?  You , the kid and cedB with his B-36 are using all the available plastic stocks .

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, bzn20 said:

Holy Cow.. How big ? Or have you bought a half scale 12" Rule ?  You , the kid and cedB with his B-36 are using all the available plastic stocks .

It's big! 31 inch span, that is BIG :) plastic stock is safe, but bathrooms aren't 

John

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, canberra kid said:

but bathrooms aren't 

I'm not worried Avocado Bath tubs.. They are so cheap !

• Like 2

15 hours ago, canberra kid said:

xA7tvx.jpg

This is fabulous stuff.

I’m still trying to work out, though, why you titled the thread “Big wing”?

Graham 😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

9 hours ago, GrahamS said:

I’m still trying to work out, though, why you titled the thread “Big wing”?

Somewhere up above, Leigh-Mallory is smiling! (I can just hear John's wife. "Honey, have you seen the light fixtures that used to be in the 'loo?")

Mike

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Somewhere up above, Leigh-Mallory is smiling! (I can just hear John's wife. "Honey, have you seen the light fixtures that used to be in the 'loo?")

Mike

Mike Leigh-Mallory's big wing was definitely a thing to behold! as for the light, it's always best to keep her in the dark when ever possible :)

John   

• Haha 2

On ‎9‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 1:52 PM, canberra kid said:

Mike Leigh-Mallory's big wing was definitely a thing to behold! as for the light, it's always best to keep her in the dark when ever possible :)

John   

I hear you! BTW, you probably have these photos already, but I have attached a link below that has some good detail photos of the WB-57F- scroll down a bit to see them. Hope they are helpful for your project!

Mike

https://www.warbirdradio.com/image-galleries/archived-galleries/

• Like 2

11 hours ago, 72modeler said:

I hear you! BTW, you probably have these photos already, but I have attached a link below that has some good detail photos of the WB-57F- scroll down a bit to see them. Hope they are helpful for your project!

Mike

Thanks Mike, I'll take a look when I get home this evening.

John

On 9/17/2018 at 10:04 PM, 72modeler said:

Mike

I've had a look at the photos Mike, I'd not seen them before which is a plus :) One thing it did remind me of is the up and coming fun of those vortex generators on the tail plains, such fun! 

John  

• Haha 2

I kept coming across in this in the WIP forum but have just got around to looking at it.

Holy cow, that's big!! I won't do all the ' likes ' in case I Overload your equipment but there should be about 20. I once had a 1/72 resin conversion for the big wing, made by Dave Buttress ( DB models ), but when I got around to wanting to use it the resin had gone soft and sticky so I threw it away.

Watching closely now.

John

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

I kept coming across in this in the WIP forum but have just got around to looking at it.

Holy cow, that's big!! I won't do all the ' likes ' in case I Overload your equipment but there should be about 20. I once had a 1/72 resin conversion for the big wing, made by Dave Buttress ( DB models ), but when I got around to wanting to use it the resin had gone soft and sticky so I threw it away.

Watching closely now.

John

Thanks John

The DB set is/was good, I've still got one I never plucked up the courage to give it a go, strange rally given what I'm doing now! :) good to have you along for the ride.

John 

• Like 1

More plumbing, this time in aide of the engine nacelle, The nacelles for the TF.33's were beefed up considerably as you can see from the photo below. 

xChn3N.jpg

This will as on the actual aircraft help strengthen the wing to nacelle joint, so, back the the plumbing, I needed something with the right amount of curvature to match that of the nacelle and a good thickness to match the real thing. So back to the plumbing supplies, I found some pipe the was slightly larger than the diameter of the cowling but after cutting down I knew it would be ok. It's going to be quite a long job but it needs doing. 

xChXLx.jpg

xChQS2.jpg

John        

• Like 14