Big ideas about a big wing

2 minutes ago, canberra kid said:

Not just a very big wing. but a very big fin too! This is a scrap B(I)8 I'm trying it out on first before I cut the B.57 up.  

xgJRJO.jpg

John

To coin a phrase “Blimey.....”

Loving it.

Graham

• Haha 1

This is flying together now John at this rate it will be in the paint shop by Saturday

This really is outstanding engineering looking forward to the next instalment.

Roger

3 hours ago, Mikey-1980 said:

Just WOW!!

Epic and incrediblework here John, in absolute aw of your work so far. makes my piddly PR.9 look amaturish....(which it probably is)

Abosolutely onboard for you build here.

Thanks Mikey, there is nothing wrong with your PR. 9 build she's shaping up nicely, you're doing a grand job!

• Thanks 1

Hello John,

Impressive work. I also have to same project in mind, and have been collectiong stuff for several years now.

You probably are aware of this :

IMG_0069.JPG

it's part of the old ID Models kit that is now marketed by Tigger Models (http://tigger-models.blogspot.com/2012/03/welcome-to-tigger-models.html).

A bit crude but everything could help ! 

😊

Marc

Edited by MarcB
  • Like 4

Holy mother of pearl!  Now THAT is a big Wing. I wished I could have gotten the Collect-aire version years ago, But those require as much if not more work than a Vac. I'm gonna follow this closely.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, MarcB said:

Hello John,

Impressive work. I also have to same project in mind, and have been collectiong stuff for several years now.

You probably are aware of this :

IMG_0069.JPG

it's part of the old ID Models kit that is now marketed by Tigger Models (http://tigger-models.blogspot.com/2012/03/welcome-to-tigger-models.html).

A bit crude but everything could help ! 

😊

Marc

Hi Marc

Thanks, I have seen the vac-form wings advertised but I decided I'd go the same route as my RB.57D build and use what was left over from the bath panel.  Good luck with your build!

John

12 hours ago, LorenSharp said:

Holy mother of pearl!  Now THAT is a big Wing. I wished I could have gotten the Collect-aire version years ago, But those require as much if not more work than a Vac. I'm gonna follow this closely.

Loren, from what I've heard if you didn't get the resin kit you had a luckey escape, for the price of it it could have been much better. I can't imagine how much a resin RB.57F would weigh! 

John

It would have required an extensive weight reduction I imagine, if it was anything like some of the others I managed to get ahold of. Even then I doubt the aircraft would be able to sit on its own gear without collapsing them.

2 hours ago, LorenSharp said:

It would have required an extensive weight reduction I imagine, if it was anything like some of the others I managed to get ahold of. Even then I doubt the aircraft would be able to sit on its own gear without collapsing them.

Too true Loren, I've invested in some white metal legs for my F as I did for the D. 

John 

I've fabricated an Aluminium main spar, I my first thought was to do it as it would be in the real aircraft but in the end common sense prevailed and I decided a 'flat' spar would be much easier to work, I needed to add the 1.3 degree anhedral, so flat it is.

xAAXIc.jpg

I've cut a hole through the wing to take the spar.

xAAQYz.jpg

John

• Like 3

Wow, that is all I can say! Just..... WOW.

For the love of Canberras this is going to be epic. Very best of luck with this although going by what I have seen from the D you built this shouldn't cause you too much trouble!

Regards

Marc

• Like 1