Big ideas about a big wing

I've decided after the success of my RB.57D I'd have a pop at her step sister, the General Dynamics RB.57F, known to her crews as The Big Wing!

I've been wanting to build this since I finished my RB.57D and the idea of such a thing being possible for my skill set. I know I've not finished my TT.18 yet but this will be a long term project if it comes off at all! One of the things that has been a concern for me was the engine nacelle, after a lot of hunting around and thinking I've found something that fits the bill as with the bath panel for my RB.57D build this also comes from a domestic setting. In a real light bulb moment, here it is!

xbZcQz.jpg

Has luck would have it the dimensions are just about spot on, close enough for me anyway, so after a bit of modification I now have two TF.33 engine nacelles, 

xbZAA1.jpg  

Just to give some idea of how big the new engines are,

xbZgVc.jpg

John 

Edited by canberra kid
a bit more detail
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, neil5208 said:

impressive, will the additional p&w j60's be included as well?

Good question Neil, as it stands now I'm not planning on adding them, which is quite alright as they were mission applicable, but If I find something that will do the job I may. As it stands I'll have enough to keep me entertained just doing the basics 🙂 

John 

My next headache was the wing chord of the F, it's much deeper at 261.5 inch than the standard Canberra's 228 inch, I was thinking hard about how I could do it, would I need to build a complete wing, root to tip? not something I was looking forward to, then I had a thought, how does it compare to the extended chord of the PR.9? The answer very close! happy days! I can now do it in the same way I did the RB.57D wing with just a new outer wing section. The new fin should be a straightforward exercise the next tricky bit will be the rows of vortex generators on the tail plains but that's more fiddly than anything. 

John

• Like 1

I have to laugh in sheer admiration at the way you are slowly converting your house fittings into Canberras John! :clap: 

That IS a big wing and I look forward to seeing it grow. Nice graphic comparison!

Tony

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

21 hours ago, TheBaron said:

I have to laugh in sheer admiration at the way you are slowly converting your house fittings into Canberras John! :clap: 

That IS a big wing and I look forward to seeing it grow. Nice graphic comparison!

Tony

Thanks Tony, unfortunately now I've used all my light fitting in the house I can only model in daylight! 🙂 not to mention not having a bath anymore after my RB.57D build! 

21 hours ago, Hamden said:

Great project love how you turn every day objects into useful conversion pieces!

I'll tag along if you don't mind

Roger

Thanks Roger, I blame Blue Petter and being a tight Yorkshireman! :) 

21 hours ago, bzn20 said:

This looks like something . Struth !

Struth indeed, I must be mad!

21 hours ago, Scimitar said:

I'm still tinkering with the Mach one in 1/72 and I thought that was big!

Where on earth will it live when complete ?

Now that is a good question, I only have one Ramp area in the front room on top of the book case, the D just about fits, the F will be a struggle :)

John 

• Like 4

Love this model of the Canberra, so I'll be looking in. I was quite impressed that a couple of years ago one was taken out of AMARC after 40-odd years in the sun, and restored to flying condition for NASA

Justin

• Like 4

On 8/21/2018 at 10:53 AM, stevehnz said:

Definitely something to watch here. I might just loiter a while, see what comes out. It looks like being fun. ;)

Steve.

I hope it will be fun too Steve, I'm feeling optimistic but there will plenty of opportunity to screw the pooch as they say.

8 hours ago, heloman1 said:

Mind if I pull up a chair and watch, going to be an interesting build. Nice find with the lamp fitting.

Colin

welcome too Colin, make yourself very comfortable, I will be a long slow journey, so far as I know the light fitting will be the last item of domestic hardware I need to appropriate for this build :) 

John   

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 4:53 AM, stevehnz said:

Definitely something to watch here. I might just loiter a while, see what comes out. It looks like being fun. ;)

Steve.

Can you scoot over a mite, Steve? I can't see what John's doing! (Boy, howdy- nothing's safe in your house from the modeling bench, John!) I promise to be quiet, but I'm taking notes! BTW, found anything in the kitchen that resembles BMk 2 hubs?

Mike

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Can you scoot over a mite, Steve? I can't see what John's doing! (Boy, howdy- nothing's safe in your house from the modeling bench, John!) I promise to be quiet, but I'm taking notes! BTW, found anything in the kitchen that resembles BMk 2 hubs?

Mike

Thanks Mike, I've not found anything yet, but you never know! but I'm busy looking for anything that may be J.60 pod shape :)

John

22 hours ago, phildagreek said:

This looks good, liking the light fitting!

Thanks Phil, me too :)

John

1 hour ago, canberra kid said:

Thanks Mike, I've not found anything yet, but you never know! but I'm busy looking for anything that may be J.60 pod shape :)

John

John,

See the attached B-57F walkaround- there is a good closeup of the J-60 pod. It kinda looks to me like you could take the  front section of a C-130 nacelle and build the rest of the pod behind it. What do you think? Of course, the minute you post the photos of them, some aftermarket outfit will release a resin pair! IIRC, didn't Rareplanes,  Airmodel , and Mach 2 do vacforms of the B-57F? The pods probably wouldn't be very good, though.  You just need to make one and then cast a duplicate...easy for me to say, right?

Mike

https://www.cybermodeler.com/aircraft/b-57/wb-57_walk.shtml

• Like 1

15 hours ago, 72modeler said:

John,

See the attached B-57F walkaround- there is a good closeup of the J-60 pod. It kinda looks to me like you could take the  front section of a C-130 nacelle and build the rest of the pod behind it. What do you think? Of course, the minute you post the photos of them, some aftermarket outfit will release a resin pair! IIRC, didn't Rareplanes,  Airmodel , and Mach 2 do vacforms of the B-57F? The pods probably wouldn't be very good, though.  You just need to make one and then cast a duplicate...easy for me to say, right?

Mike

Thanks Mike, I'm not even sure yet if I'm going to fit them, if I do I was thinking of making one from milliput and casting a set but, that's for another day :)

John

I've scaled up the drawing of the wing section minus the tip as that will be a solid plastic card item. I've tried it out on the section of bath panel I have left and barring any mishaps I should have enough which is good! I hope to have enough left over for the fin as well.  This is the PR.9 wing on the plan, it's BIG!! 

xFPvAO.jpg

And in comparison with the RB.57D, it's still BIG!!!

xFPpoN.jpg

John 

Edited by canberra kid
  • Like 5

On 8/18/2018 at 9:18 AM, canberra kid said:

I've decided after the success of my RB.57D I'd have a pop at her step sister, the General Dynamics RB.57F, known to her crews as The Big Wing!

I've been wanting to build this since I finished my RB.57D and the idea of such a thing being possible for my skill set. I know I've not finished my TT.18 yet but this will be a long term project if it comes off at all! One of the things that has been a concern for me was the engine nacelle, after a lot of hunting around and thinking I've found something that fits the bill as with the bath panel for my RB.57D build this also comes from a domestic setting. In a real light bulb moment, here it is!

xbZcQz.jpg

Has luck would have it the dimensions are just about spot on, close enough for me anyway, so after a bit of modification I now have two TF.33 engine nacelles, 

xbZAA1.jpg  

Just to give some idea of how big the new engines are,

xbZgVc.jpg

John 

Impressive! And a nice reminder to keep our eyes open for parts and inspiration even in the most generic of places!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Thom216 said:

Impressive! And a nice reminder to keep our eyes open for parts and inspiration even in the most generic of places!

Thanks, it is amazing what there is just laying around or hanging from a ceiling waiting to be discovered and put to a good use! :)

John

• Haha 2

23 hours ago, 72modeler said:

John,

Mike

@72modeler Mike I think you may be onto something with the C.130 nacelle, the outboard engines in 1/72 scale out just about right for a 1/48 J.60 pod, so the call has gone out to my friends in the USAF SIG. I think that there is only one 1/48 of the RB.57F kit and that is a very expensive and not very good resin kit. I did think about it some time ago when pound to dollar was much more in my favor but it still weighed in at around £150! 

John