B-17F Memphis Belle

72modeler

You might have seen these- if so, they can be removed. March 10, 2018 photos taken of the restored Memphis Belle. I think, and this is just my opinion, she would have looked better not being in a 'factory fresh' finish...I think the boxart on the old Revell kit showed her better than anything else I can remember. Still, a very famous Flying Fort and a very nice and complete restoration. Now, on to "The Swoose!"

Mike

https://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/Visit/Museum-Exhibits/Fact-Sheets/Display/Article/195966/boeing-b-17f-memphis-belle/

• Like 1

Since she had to be completely stripped down, the factory fresh paint was the only real option.  Unless they added fake weathering, which I've never seen done successfully on a full-size aircraft.

I just visited the Belle last week for the first time since her completion, and I have to say she looks fantastic. 

SN

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Steve N said:

Since she had to be completely stripped down, the factory fresh paint was the only real option.  Unless they added fake weathering, which I've never seen done successfully on a full-size aircraft.

I just visited the Belle last week for the first time since her completion, and I have to say she looks fantastic. 

SN

I am soooo jealous! It just looks so strange, compared to how she looked after the last mission, to see her in such pristine condition especially with those shiny black props! But, as you pointed out, and I agree, that since they had to strip her to bare metal to address and treat any corrosion issues, it would have been almost impossible to try to duplicate how she looked when she left Europe for the stateside war bond tour.

Mike

12 hours ago, Britman said:

Great job on one of the most iconic aircraft ever. I hope The Swoose gets the same treatment, although I last heard it would be displayed 'as found' , I hope I am wrong. 

Keith. 

Oh, I hope not! The only surviving shark-fin Fort? I could see it being put back in original combat fit or as it was modified for use by General Brett as his transport, but surely not just dusted off and put back together?

Mike

I just found a short status report on the Swoose; here it is.

https://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/Visit/Museum-Exhibits/Fact-Sheets/Display/Article/196864/boeing-b-17d-the-swoose/

Here's another- scroll past the Belle photos to see  the Swoose.

http://warbirdsnews.com/aviation-museum-news/b-17f-memphis-belle-restoration-update.html

Edited by 72modeler

On 8/18/2018 at 4:39 AM, Britman said:

Great job on one of the most iconic aircraft ever. I hope The Swoose gets the same treatment, although I last heard it would be displayed 'as found' , I hope I am wrong. 

Keith. 

Displaying her "as found" isn't an option, as "The Swoose" has already been disassembled and stripped inside and out.  A ventral "bathtub" gun has also been manufactured and intalled.  A full from-the-ground-up restoration is the only option at this point.

I've heard various different stories about the plans for her future..some say she'll be restored as a bomber, others say she'll be restored as Gen. Brett's transport.  Last I heard, work on The Swoose was on indefinite hold while all the restoration department's resources were focused on the Belle.  It would be nice if they could take all the experience and momentum from the Belle project and roll it right into the Swoose.

SN

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Steve N said:

Displaying her "as found" isn't an option, as "The Swoose" has already been disassembled and stripped inside and out.  A ventral "bathtub" gun has also been manufactured and intalled.  A full from-the-ground-up restoration is the only option at this point.

I've heard various different stories about the plans for her future..some say she'll be restored as a bomber, others say she'll be restored as Gen. Brett's transport.  Last I heard, work on The Swoose was on indefinite hold while all the restoration department's resources were focused on the Belle.  It would be nice if they could take all the experience and momentum from the Belle project and roll it right into the Swoose.

SN

Very interesting! I don't recall if she retained the bathtub gun position when she was reconfigured as a transport. I would imagine, but have no proof, how the AFM plans to configure the restoration- as  she looked as a B-17D bomber or as Brett's transport "The Swoose." Did she carry the nickname and artwork when she was a B-17D? I guess time will tell, but I agree with you, Steve, in that I would think it would have been much more labor and cost efficient to have the team working on both B-17's at the same time.

Mike

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎8‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 11:53 AM, Murph said:

They should have preshaded.

Regards,

Murph

And post-shaded as well! They also forgot the exhaust stains. The "Spanish School" of weathering will fail them for sure! Sorry for the late posting, it is a beautiful job of restoring nonetheless.

Joe