F-16 Arctic Aggresor - Paints

planehazza

Hi all,

If anyone has built any scale of the Arctic aggressor F-16 (white, black, grey), please could you tell me what paint numbers you used?  I have the FS numbers, but the Hataka Aggressor set is way off in terms of shade (and quality, but that's a different topic).  I was thinking of just using flat black + a drop of white, flat white + a drop of black, and the correct aggressor grey from Vallejo that I already own (looks a good match too).

Thanks!

Evening. According to my Arctic Bandits sheet from Two Bobs (usually very well informed) they state that the black is FS37030, the grey is FS36231 and the white is FS36628. The randome is listed as FS36118 (gunship grey I think) Hope this helps

Edited by Simon382
spelling
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Simon382 said:

Evening. According to my Arctic Bandits sheet from Two Bobs (usually very well informed) they state that the black is FS37030, the grey is FS36231 and the white is FS36628. The randome is listed as FS36118 (gunship grey I think) Hope this helps

Interesting.   The Radome is unpainted and so the colour will rely on dirt, but I've almost never seen it the same colour as the upper portion of a regular F-16, which is FS36118.  I have TwoBobs decals too, and it gives me different colours. Mine is the newer alaskan splinter, but I was of (perhaps the wrong?) impression the shades were the same as the old arctic Agressor scheme.

LAXT1gyRdy9DTRr98LK3SAjptV7s9Ch0cg25_4Vf

owAtyQu1cYxLGRYRqmP442qZtxrHpqIjt09DHGgz

As you can see, the visual representation of the sades is wrong, particularly the black, but the FS numbers look good.  I wonder if I should just go with Tamiya NATO Black, White + drop of black, and Aggressor Grey? The black doesn't matter too much as I will be doing a per panel shading anyway as the paint on the airframe looks worn, despite only being a year old.

Noted. It could be as I was quoting the colours from the original sheet, wavy not splinter, so may well have altered slightly since the previous printing. At the end of the day it's what looks right, not always being perfectly accurate. In my humble opinion anyway (maybe the excuse I use when others notice my colours are slightly off!!)

6 hours ago, planehazza said:

Interesting.   The Radome is unpainted and so the colour will rely on dirt, but I've almost never seen it the same colour as the upper portion of a regular F-16, which is FS36118.

You might want to take a look at this photo --

http://www.f-16.net/forum/download/file.php?id=4839&sid=0aae64b5fe56c4e74198e08946ff558a&mode=view

-- which I think is in another BM thread somewhere. At least one of those nosecones is as dark or darker than 36118.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Seawinder said:

You might want to take a look at this photo --

http://www.f-16.net/forum/download/file.php?id=4839&sid=0aae64b5fe56c4e74198e08946ff558a&mode=view

-- which I think is in another BM thread somewhere. At least one of those nosecones is as dark or darker than 36118.

I wonder if the fibreglass they use comes out of the factory with different tints depending on batch/date etc.  I always thought that the colour was very uniform if it is purely dirt/wear that changes the tone...

I stand to be corrected but my understanding is that there is a precoloured rubberised coating applied to the radome. So it never needs painting /repainting. 

The rubber picks up dirt and doesn't release as readily when washed so from day 1 it discolours at a different rate to the airframe.

Marcus 

Thanks all.  I'll pick a shade that matches the photos I've got.  Regarding the aggressor colours, I've decided to keep it simple: black (with various panels sprayed with a slightly lightened black), aggressor grey, and 50:1 white:black for the white.  Most of the white parts are all different shades thanks to dirt and weathering, so I'll not worry about it too much :)

• Like 1

Same approach I took (pictures are on this site). Once weathering and lighting are taken into account any reasonably accurate choice of colours looks right.

• Like 1