Tornado GR4 - Revell 1/48

Despite closely following the General's guide to assembling this, the fit is rubbish:

file.php?id=18019file.php?id=18020

Not impressed at all. There are gaps everywhere around the intakes and they'll need considerable filling and smoothing. Some of it is my own fault because I obviously slightly misaligned some of the fuselage components early in the piece but it's almost impossible to know that when you're at that stage. I used the GR.4 spine in lieu of the IDS version but, to be honest, I can't see any difference.

The wings were adjusted with a protractor as per the General's suggestion but I'm not so sure the droop needs adjusting, particularly with the 2250 l tanks and pods to go on, I think they'll droop enough naturally. Exhausts next but I'll also mod the forward windscreen area, as per the General's guide.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

I have a WIP up at the moment for my GR1A build from the same basic kit. I've not been the best at regular updates, but I had the same issues with the forward fuselage. 

There are some great parts to the kit though. Overall, so far, I've really enjoyed it so keep pushing on.

20 hours ago, phildagreek said:

Stay with it, it's too easy just to bin it, if nothing else, use it as a practice job for finishing skills or decaling or weathering etc.

No chance of binning it but it is a little frustrating! One of the fine modelers at Aussie Modeller just sent me the arts I need for the British Tornado pylons, so I can move on with those, too.

Back again! 

y4mAwHjrUEMlGcRnhnh5rMPSe64s5SuBuWmWuTzE

Now that the tail and wings are assembled, I'll leave the elevons off until after painting, along with the exhausts - less masking that way!

I've also been working on the pylons and stores. One of the fellow-modellers at Aussie Modeller kindly donated the fuselage pylons I needed (thanks again, Ash!) and I'm utilising the outer pylons Shaun casts. I've raided the Airfix kit I first bought for the Hindenberg tanks and BOL missile launchers, too.

y4mk7fmy8nLKLkvP8fNwXIHWIoZ2eaAinTAh1BE1

The BOL rails haven't come up too badly with the etched metal rails fitted. I'll probably need to do a bit to the aft section, though. Flap assemblies will be painted separately before fitting to the wings. The whole lot will be getting a coat of paint before too long now. I'll be using the Sky Shadow pods from the Revell kit for the outer pylons.

• Like 3

On ‎8‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 3:29 AM, lowlevelraf said:

Would it be a TIALD pod?

Anyone have any idea what colour these are supposed to be? I know they're green - an indication of the shade would be nice!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Finally got this into the paint shop.

y4mj8HZeyTkmTQNxqXVOrq48P8eD9cumVWQpaSjz

It's unveiled a few areas that were missed when I was sanding. It's also revealed my black-basing attempt was unsuccessful and I'll need to work on some of the heavily-soiled areas. I'll add some white to the next coat and might try a couple of other ideas, too. I should have masked the leading edge flap locations as I'll need to repaint them in the interior colour now. Least of my problems!

• Like 5

Yes, I have that one, too (I used the 2250 l tanks and BOL launcher from it with some mods to both). They're chalk and cheese next to each other - the old Airfix is nowhere near the standard of their current stuff. That said, it probably goes together better than this one!

• Like 1

On 10/30/2018 at 9:05 AM, Bell209 said:

Despite closely following the General's guide to assembling this, the fit is rubbish

It's looking good.

Personally I think the issue with this kit is not bad fit as such - certainly not in the normal understanding of poor fitting kits. Rather it has a precise and very complex design that makes achieving correct alignment of mating surfaces, all on a number of planes, really challenging. Failure to align any one part to almost the micron risks misalignment / fit issues elsewhere. Aftermarket parts almost certainly present a risk to achieving precision fit. This is compounded by the kit not giving the modeller positive assistance with use of alignment aids like pins and holes we might have had in the past; instead it relies on ledges and butting edges/surfaces. Probably a consequence of the precision of CAD design - similar to new Airfix kits - where even a coat of paint can throw out alignment. 

Not withstanding the inexplicable wing-sweep error and poor repesentation of the Nav's console it is the best 1/48 Tornado by a long way; but is probably the most complex aircraft kit I have ever made. Lots of test / dry fitting required - oh and ideally another pair of hands! 🙂

Rich

Edited by RichG
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, RichG said:

Failure to align any one part to almost the micron risks misalignment / fit issues elsewhere.

Yep, that's the issue!

Fixed the wing alignment issue with the aid of General Melchett's guide and a protractor. It's still a great kit - just needs tweaking to allow a bit of movement for alignment!

Edited by Bell209

• 3 weeks later...

I've spent the last few weeks painting, filling, painting, masking, painting but I think it's finally ready for further assembly before a Future coat for decalling.

I've deliberately painted spots around the aircraft different colours as ZD844 was starting to show some of its old RAF Dark Sea Grey colours on the sides where the maintainers were constantly opening the panels and rubbing the old paint off. I can only assume the repaint was just a rough back and recoat as normally they'd have been stripped back to bare metal on a repaint.

y4mnqTJdlVrhhWAZxDMan4EWJxPU3gqCVBJzjeea

Various areas were randomly painted with RAF Medium Sea Grey lightened with a drop of white to emphasise the sun-lightening of some of the paint areas. I'll further work on this with too much flat Tamiya in the Future matt coat.

y4mozt4oaO_SFK4woCzo8K6VH9rqvn494XwlJ1H3y4mYqEPO4wHr8JtpnCcUHZEpIpEEgtvDFKqTI0e6

I'll add the flaps (leading and trailing edge) before the Future gloss coat to aid in decal placement. I'll be using the Airfix decals for the stencilling but the Model Alliance set for the aircraft-specific markings and roundels/fin flashes.

Looking at the photos I think I need to do some more filling around the windscreen. Back to the airbrush. Sigh.

• Like 1

I have a few days at home (might even do a bit more to my Scout!) but when I get back I should be able to apply the Future gloss coat, I reckon. Just the left trailing edge flaps to affix first.

I case you're wondering, the nose is off until I can verify I have enough weight added. There's still room in the forward fuselage if it's still a tail-sitter.

Edited by Bell209
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks; hope I can do it justice.

Working on decaling now. Mostly from the Airfix kit but a few Model Alliance Op TELIC Pt1 set. Disappointingly, the 'AJ-A' markings on the tail seem too light for my paint colour but I'll see how it comes out after the matt coat.