Tornado GR4 - Revell 1/48

As previously mentioned, I bought the IDS version of the Tornado before the GR4 was released. I stupidly bought the Airfix kit several years ago, so anything the IDS boxing is missing I'll steal from the Airfix kit. I don't think I'll need much other than tanks and pods? I'm following General Melchett's build closely ut have started conventionally with the seats and cockpit using the Eduard detail sets.

file.php?id=17642

I'll be using the CMK wheel bays, too. Not sure how much butchery is required for that...

Edited by Bell209
  • Like 4

Loadout will be as per the picture below:

4dLPnEEJyhVJvNPtDEb6_SsFiUVg73CW223QD227

I have the Sky Shadow pods and 2250 litre tanks, as well as the BOS pylons but still need to find the designator pod on the left fuselage pylon - any ideas where to get one, anybody?

This will be a model of ZD844, as it was in the above picture when I flew in it in February 2003. Sadly, if you go to this link you'll see she ended up in a very sad state.

Timeframe? When I'm finished! Probably not before the end of 2018 at the speed I build!

• Like 7

That link makes for some depressing viewing! Whenever I see a piece of kit in that state it always makes me sad to think of the man hours spent carefully maintaining and repairing it, just to have its guts ripped out. I suppose they can't all be kept though. I'm sure there will be a lot more Tornados in this state over the next year or so.

Good luck with your build, the Revell GR4 is creeping it way to the top of my build list so I'll be watching with interest. 

• Like 1

I assume it is a Litening 3 pod.

https://www.freightdogmodels.co.uk/freightdog-1-48-tornado-gr-4-litening-iii-pod.html

If som there are may available in kits and resin..... the Tornado needs one with the intake on the starboard side afaik!

https://www.google.at/search?ie=UTF-8&client=ms-android-tmobile-at&source=android-browser&q=tornado+elamy+targeting+pod#imgrc=SrMoLAk59kuc7M:

Need to check though if apt for 2003!

Edited by exdraken

Managed to get an Eduard version of the pod through my LMS. Still working my way through the cockpit atm. I'll be adding some map holders to both cockpits, too.

Having used both the CMK resin u/c bays and the Eduard photo etched set for the bays, I would go for the latter. The fit of the resin parts is pretty horrible unfortunately in my opinion. That I detest photo etch shows how much hassle it was that I recommend the PE stuff

Once you've got it to fit ok it looks good, but expect to have to use filler and thinning techniques 

Cheers 

Les

Been making a bit more progress on the cockpit bits.

file.php?id=17696file.php?id=17695

Don't panic: the leg restraints won't stay like that! They'll be draped over pedestal and control column in the cockpits.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

More work on the cockpit tonight:

file.php?id=17778file.php?id=17777

Coming along quite well. Still need to add the throttle quadrant on the pilots tub side. Been working on the fuselage with General Melchett's tips very handy to date. The CMK wheel wells look great (I tried out coloured pencils and washes for the first time) but needed a bit of fettling to get them to fit.

Tomorrow I'll nip out to my local pusher model shop to pick up the TIALD pod and the serial and squadron code decal sheets for the Lancaster.

• Like 6

Many years ago I flew ZD844 when it was DE with the mighty Goldstars! Also mourned 844 when I saw the scrap pictures - totally gutted that such a fine machine should end up like that, but looking forward to the phoenix that arises from your workbench!

Fine start to the cockpit! Good job!

Edited by feifeitim
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...

So, with the Lancaster on hold, the Tornado starts anew!

file.php?id=17990

Thanks to General Melchett's tips, the forward fuselage is still not completely glued to the centre barrel but the fit's not great.

file.php?id=17991

More filling required yet but I'll wait until the rest of the fuselage is assembled before doing much else. I'm pretty happy with the way the wheel wells have turned out. I used the coloured pencil wash method for the first time and it seems about right to my eyes. Putting the wings together at the moment. Again, the General's posts are very helpful with this! Hope to have them assembled this weekend but the air show in Jamestown tomorrow may take up some of my time...

Edited by Bell209
  • Like 5

OMG; this thing really doesn't go together well! Constant dry-fitting, sanding and more fitting still doesn't make it go together. The intakes are ever-so-slightly misaligned after assembly and that means the intake ramps and lips just don't go into place properly. On top of that, the inside of the intake lips is slightly too short at the top.

The detail is great but its tight fits make for a difficult fuselage assembly, even after following General Melchett's recommendations. I'll post more pictures once I get the intakes assembled.

I know you haven't finished this yet, but yours is one of several builds of this kit that I've read that has been far from impressed with it. It seems to me that Airfix, Italeri, HobbyBoss and now Revell have all failed miserably to produce a kit that is acceptable in terms of accuracy, assembly and detail. Would it be fair to say that the Italeri kit is still the best when you consider the three elements I mentioned plus price and availability?

Having said that, accuracy of shape aside, I've seen absolutely stunning builds from all of those kits. I guess a lot comes down to aftermarket investments and skill.

Anyway, despite the shortcomings of the kit, you look like you're on your way to another impressive build of a Tornado. I'll definitely be following your progress.

22 hours ago, Filler said:

Would it be fair to say that the Italeri kit is still the best when you consider the three elements I mentioned plus price and availability?

I'm not an expert on the Tonka; my only contact with it was 3.5 months working alongside 617 and 31SQNs in the Middle East where they were operating them but it looks pretty good to me. The fit's very ordinary but I think that's because of the tight tolerances. Some stuff is brilliant - the wing gloves and wings fit together beautifully, as did the cockpit. It's the fuselage that's proving difficult. I wonder how much that is due to the CMK wheel wells I fitted? I have the Airfix GR.4/4A and it's rubbish - don't buy it. I'll be using a couple of things from it for my build (decals, tanks and BOL rails) but that's about it. Not sure about the Italeri kit.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the reply Rob. So it is still the best then I guess, just not perfect. I'm certain you know this, but isn't there an issue with the wings if you want them swept forward? I thought they don't go far enough and that the internal mechanism needs some surgery and that the flaps(?) then need some material adding to fill the gap to the fuselage? I only mention it as you mention how good the wing gloves and wings fit together.

23 minutes ago, Filler said:

So it is still the best then I guess, just not perfect. I'm certain you know this, but isn't there an issue with the wings if you want them swept forward? I thought they don't go far enough and that the internal mechanism needs some surgery and that the flaps(?) then need some material adding to fill the gap to the fuselage? I only mention it as you mention how good the wing gloves and wings fit together.

Yeah, there is that issue, too. I got the protractor out after reading the General's comments and had to pare away a bit of the ridge on the forward part of the mechanism. That does mean you need to add a small extension to the inboard part of the wings (you could get away with not doing it but I reckon I'd notice it forever after). I used Shaun's very nice glove seals in lieu of the kit parts and these hide that a bit more, too. The actual fit of the wing sections overall though is pretty good. 

• Like 1