MPM Wellington

speedbird

Hi guys.. just a quick question if I may. Can the MPM wellington MK IV be built out of the box as a MkIII and if so what parts should I use? I know the MkIII had Hercules engines and I’m pretty sure they are included in the kit but I don’t know what parts number they are, all the engine parts look the same to me.. I also have the MPM Mk IX that may have some parts I could use....I know the kits are pants but I’ve got them so may as well use them... 

• Like 1

Hi

Personally i like the mpm wellington, i have a few

to coin that phrase

' it looks like a wellington to me '

anyway a link to the instructions and sprue photos 

https://www.super-hobby.com/products/Vickers-Wellington-MKIII-Hercules-Engines.html

https://www.super-hobby.com/products/Wellington-Mk.IV-R-1830-Engines.html

hope it helps 

cheers

jerry

Edited by brewerjerry
  • Like 1

The P&W engines should have a smaller diameter than the Bristol ones.  However, on other MPM subjects (Beaufort and Hudson) MPM have not understood this and the P&W cowlings have been oversized anyway, but if you have the MPM Mk.X then these were Hercules engines, so one set of the engines should match.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, speedbird said:

Are the Hercules engines and cowels in the IC or IX kit do you know?

I think not, the hercules engines, backing plate & props are on a separate sprue c in the Mk IV kit along with some alternative tail planes & another set of props, presumably required for the Mk IV kit as well. I'm not seeing this in the Ic kit.

Steve.

You could indeed, and it might work, but before doing that I'd check the size of  the cowlings provided in the kit - IIRC the Hercules cowlings should be 18mm across.  I suspect (don't know) that the ones in the kit may be suitable anyway.  Alternatively, some people may have spares from other MPM kits where Hercules-sized cowlings are used to represent P&W or Taurus engines.   I think you'd be better off trying to get Hercules engines and cowlings from another source.  I did manage to buy a set of four from Airfix, from the Lancaster Mk.II, but I suspect that source will have dried up by now.  Possibly you could try the same from Revell from their Halifax III  (but possibly not - I don't recall seeing reference to Revell doing that sort of thing).  These two are by far the best models of the engine and its cowling.  People may also have a set from the old Airfix Halifax, which is a good size but does require a piece of microstrip wrapped around the inside of the cowl opening to reduce the diameter.  Presumably you might be able to get spares from Trumpeter Wellington kits from peoples' spares boxes;  or even the original Airfix Wellington but I've no idea just how good they were, nor the size of them.  Modern Beaufighter kits will also provide useful alternatives, but ignore those from the old kits.  Again, you could try Airfix sales - I believe those examples are pretty good too.

Remember that Hercules engines do not have push rods, but P&W ones do.  As I recall MPM engines don't, full stop.  Cowling stays can be added (or modified), to taste.

Edited by Graham Boak
Corrected by following post
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

You could indeed, and it might work, but before doing that I'd check the size of  the cowlings provided in the kit - IIRC the Hercules cowlings should be 18mm across.  I suspect (don't know) that the ones in the kit may be suitable anyway.  Alternatively, some people may have spares from other MPM kits where Hercules-sized cowlings are used to represent P&W or Taurus engines.   I think you'd be better off trying to get Hercules engines and cowlings from another source.  I did manage to buy a set of four from Airfix, from the Lancaster Mk.II, but I suspect that source will have dried up by now.  Possibly you could try the same from Revell from their Halifax III  (but possibly not - I don't recall seeing reference to Revell doing that sort of thing).  These two are by far the best models of the engine and its cowling.  People may also have a set from the old Airfix Halifax, which is a good size but does require a piece of microstrip wrapped around the inside of the cowl opening to reduce the diameter.  Presumably you might be able to get spares from Trumpeter Wellington kits from peoples' spares boxes;  or even the original Airfix Wellington but I've no idea just how good they were, nor the size of them.  Modern Beaufighter kits will also provide useful alternatives, but ignore those from the old kits.  Again, you could try Airfix sales - I believe those examples are pretty good too.

Remember that Hercules engines do not have push rods, but P&W ones do.  As I recall MPM engines don't, full stop.  Cowling stays can be added (or modified), to taste.

While the Revell Halifax III engines do look pretty good, the gear casing looks too much like something from an American Wright R-1820 instead of a Bristol product.

Chris

Edited by dogsbody
  • Like 1

Given all the other issues with the MPM kit, I do think you're following a tortuous route to achieving a Hercules engined Wellington.

The Trumpeter kit is substantially accurate, the only serious anomally being the narrow undercarriage and nacelles. The surface detail is a little heavy, but not overly difficult to tone down if it bothers you,

Cheers,

Bill.

I have an old resin set of Hercules engines from a lancaster BII conversion.would it be just a case of attaching the cold straight into the MPM engine nacelles? Sorry for sounding stupid, I’m not a Wellington expert... thanks for the tip bill. I know the grumpy kit is miles better but I don’t want to go out and but it when I’ve got a few MPM kits in the stash.