1/48 Hawker Typhoon - Car Door

Calum

A club mate and I have decided on a mini group build of Hawker Typhoons. I'm doing the cab door in a early 1942 486 (NZ) Sqn scheme from this Eduard Boxing.

1131_4.jpg

Being a night fighter it has a slightly different scheme from the standard RAF Typhoon. The exposed barrels and lack of reinforcing doublers on the rear fuselage also make it slightly different.

Cab-_Door-_SAZ-01.jpg

If you can get these Eduard boxings for a reasonable price they are often worth the money, including a bit of resin, some PE, a mask set and  a cartograph decal sheet.

I decided to bend up the PE seat to see what it looked like. I had a resin seat from Ultracast which was the preferred option. As can be seen the PE is significantly larger than the kit kit and the resin seat.... 

Cab-_Door-_SAZ-02.jpg

I applied most of the PE. Most of it won't be seen once the kit is together. next time I'd use the instrument panel but cut of the console parts and just use the plastic consoles.

Cab-_Door-_SAZ-03.jpg

Cab-_Door-_SAZ-04.jpg

Those of you who have built this kit will know that it has several inserts that go around the cockpit, this allows the same basic fuselage to be used for the bubbletop and cab door versions. Unfortunately these don't fit that well. I decided to concentrate on getting the curved join and lower joins as good as possible. I had reasonable success but filling the join did result in some re-scribing . Plus there is a big gap along the centreline that will need to be filled

Cab-_Door-_SAZ-05.jpg

Cab-_Door-_SAZ-06.jpg

Dry fits of the cockpit section to the kit show some issues, most these are down to the PE consoles .

Edited by Calum
  • Like 11

Ohh this will be interesting since I got a few of those Tiffys in my stash and the intention of doing this scheme as well.

Funny that the etched seat is that larger? Strange.

I like the cockpit, some good painting and weathering there :worthy:

• Like 1

I'm doing this model at the moment. However, I have put it aside until I finish my Do 217 and small Blenheim. Then I will be back on it. 

You are making a great job of yours. I think the way you went about the cockpit walls was good. It seems to solve the issue I had. I would be careful on the canopy fit.

It is quite close. Good luck with your build. I will be watching your progress. 

• 2 weeks later...

As well as finishing the Camel I've made some progress on this

I've used the new (to me) Tamiya Extra Thin  - Fast Setting glue on this build. It's very good where you want things to bond very quickly. I used it to do the centre-line seam, working along in 50-100mm lengths. I
m quite impressed with this stuff, it dries fast and the bond seems strong (Bruce - you need to get some : D   ) 

Cab-_Door-_SAZ-07.jpg

After a fair bit of faffing around getting the seams filled and sorting out the small step on the right hand insert I attached the wings. I needed spreader bars to spread the fuselage about 1.5mm. I used the fast setting glue again.

Next was a wash with warm soapy water then I painted the ocean grey. I like Tamiya AS-10 decanted and sprayed through airbrush. Some random greys were applied before printing out some masks made by enlarging the instruction sheet, printing on A4 Label paper

Cab-_Door-_SAZ-08.jpg

These were then cut out and stuck on the model. You do have to de tack the label paper a bit and it doesn't conform over tight curves well but it's cheaper than using sheets of Tamiya paper and it gives a nice sharp edge

Cab-_Door-_SAZ-09.jpg

• Like 5

Excellent work as always Callum.

Just a note. If you dissolve some pieces of cut up sprue into Tamiya extra thin it also makes an excellent filler for seams etc as its self levelling. And you can experiment with different consistencies depending on how much you put in. HTH.

Look forward to more progress.

James

19 minutes ago, franky boy said:

Excellent work as always Callum.

Just a note. If you dissolve some pieces of cut up sprue into Tamiya extra thin it also makes an excellent filler for seams etc as its self levelling. And you can experiment with different consistencies depending on how much you put in. HTH.

Look forward to more progress.

James

Thanks James, I've been thinking of making some sprue filler with an old jar of glue. I still like CA and Talc for a filler though as you can work it pretty much straight away.

Edited by Calum

Next was the the RAF dark Green. I like Mr Color version (C361) from their RAF set along with XF81 from Tamiya.  I used modern RAF Dark green (H330) from Gunze for some darker shades and Mr Hobby Dark green (#21) for lighter shades

Cab-_Door-_SAZ-10.jpg

Next was a heap of masking for the walkways , sky band and underside. The sky is from Mr Color, the Black underside and walkways are german grey from Gaianotes with darker patches being Tamiya rubber black and lighter areas Mr Color extra dark sea grey. I used german grey as I felt black would be be to black.

Cab-_Door-_SAZ-11.jpg

Cab-_Door-_SAZ-12.jpg

Next step was a light wet sand with some 100 Micromesh to smooth it off any rough bits of paint, then a dry off with some paper towel. 

I then applied a wash of a dark grey oil paint thinned with Artists solvent on the upper surfaces and a lighter grey on the lower surfaces. I like to apply the wash now as there is one less layer of paint to fill the fine panel lines, plus the non gloss finish holds the oil paint in the lines better. Furthermore the paint can add some nice subtle staining to other other parts of the fuselage .

After about 20 mins I removed the excess with a dry paper towel. A few areas needed a bit of towel dampened with  artist solvent 

Cab-_Door-_SAZ-13.jpg

Cab-_Door-_SAZ-14.jpg

Cab-_Door-_SAZ-15.jpg

Now clear coating and decalling

• Like 11

Decals on. First was a gloss coat of SMS Gloss. First time I've used their gloss and it's not bad. Dries fast, hard and shiny enough for decals. 

Then a quick decalling session. Nothing on the underside due to the black surface which made things even quicker. 

No issues with these at all as they are printed by Cartograph.

Also started painting a figure. This is a RAF pilot from Plus Models

Cab-_Door-_SAZ-16.jpg

Cab-_Door-_SAZ-17.jpg

Now to weather

• Like 8

Very good work. Nice paint work. I am building one at the moment, but it has gone on to the back burner while I complete the Do 217 and Blenheim and fixing my He 51 for the second time. Then it will be up for completion. In the meantime I will be following your build with interest. I absolutely agree with you regarding that annoying cockpit joint. You. Have done a excellent job of sorting it. I will have to have another look at it when I get back to the plane. Should only be a few weeks.

• Thanks 1

Nearly done. 

Weathering has been done with oils and A couple of the Tamiya Weathering sets. I'm quite happy how this has turned out. Just a few fiddly bits to go and the pilot to finish and it'll be in the cabinet.

Cab-_Door-_SAZ-18.jpg

Cab-_Door-_SAZ-19.jpg

Cab-_Door-_SAZ-20.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Christer A said:

That does look splendid! I like the propeller extra much.

Thanks. As much as this hurts I have to admit I copied the weathering technique on the prop from a mate  guy I know.  I really like it as well.. it's probably the only decent thing he's ever taught me :D

I think it's done. I'll get onto some better photos over the weekend

Cab-_Door-_SAZ-21.jpg

• Like 6

Hello Calum,

Very nice Typhoon !! Congrats !!

And Lord, you're fast !!

Thanks for sharing… Now, I'll find one for this NiFi version...🤔

Really good paint scheme !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Thanks 1

Very well done weathering. Mine will be cleaner when I finally get back to it. You really need to have a word to the ground crew. Having beers with the boys is one thing, but you need to keep them on their toes or the mud will bring you down one day.

7 hours ago, Greg Law said:

Very well done weathering. Mine will be cleaner when I finally get back to it. You really need to have a word to the ground crew. Having beers with the boys is one thing, but you need to keep them on their toes or the mud will bring you down one day.

I was going for a more dusty look, rather than mud.  I had a bit of trouble with the pigment application process so took the armour modellers approach and added more.

• Like 1