IDF A-4 Skyhawk 1/72

Andre B

Eagle Designs makes a nice aftermarket extended A-4 tailpipe in 1/72. These are for the Israeli Skyhawks and are resin. The item number is 72-CK-04. I have several of them that I picked up about a year or so ago so they may still be available.

Have fun modeling!

Mike

🍻

• Thanks 3

• 8 months later...

I've got an old Matchbox A-4M/N yesterday. Of course the cockpit was rather spartan. But otherwise it didn't look to bad being an Matchbox kit. I havn't compared it against my Italeri and Esci kits yet...

Cheers / André

On 8/18/2018 at 1:26 PM, MiG-Mech said:

Fujimis A-4KU includes Israeli decals.

Well they are just almost impossible to get, at least from Evilbay

Sorry that's my only personal comment

Cheers

Armando

1 hour ago, Andre B said:

Is the Italeri OA-4M any usefull when it comes to IDF?

Not really. The IDF / AF used the TA-4H which had no hump.

You could finish the Italeri OA-4M as a Kuwaiti TA-4KU, though. 

Noted an strange size difference between the Italeri and Airfix kits when it comes to the tail...

The A-4H, M, N and KU had a larger, squared off vertical tail.

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hello there,

I'm a bit late on this one.

IMHO, Here's the best way to build an accurate 1/72 IAF A-H & A-4-N "Ayit".

As base kits use the various incarnations of Fujimi's A-4E/F, A-4M.

First A-4H look like A-4E without the "hump" and with square fin tip. DEFA 30mm guns not fitted at first.

Convertion parts :

-Eagle Designs 72-CK-04 Parabrake housing, , DEFA 30mm guns, ejection seat, longer exhaust and square fin tip & longer exhaust. 

-Eagle Designs 72-CK 05 : just the longer exhaust.

Aires recently issued a resin part for the longer exhaust (7367); Quickboost  also had a pair of DEFA guns (QB 72 172).

References

-The A-4 Skyhawk "Ayit" - The IAF Aicraft Series n°2 by Amos Dor - Published by AD Graphics (Milano)

-Israeli A-4 Skyhawk Units in Combat - Osprey Combat Aircraft  81, by Shlomo Aloni

Decals :

Israeli Skyhawks - Army Cast - 72023

A-4 Israeli Skyhawk "Ayit" Collection - Sky's Decals #1/5/6

I'd rather like theFujimi kits, because I think they've got the nicest detailing, and the leading edge slats can be modelled as deployed. Note that Skyhawks' slats and airbarkes are ALWAYS deployed when on the ground.

EDIT : By checking my pics collections, I noticed that some of the USN & USMC Adversaries A-Es & TA-4J have their L-E slats fixed in close position. By the way, it seems to represent a very very small percentage in the total of Skyhawks I had pictures of, but may be a good way to use the new Hobby Boss kits ?

May be it's just because these particular jets are parked for a longer time ? 

Blue Angels A-4s have also their flaps fixed close.

The new Hobby Boss A-4E kit is a disapointment. By looking at the the srues, one can notice that the L-E flaps are closed. I'm not impressed at all, even I was waiting for it eagerly for  years. It's also quite expensive. I'll stick to the fujimis ones. It's an endless hunt. ;) 

Regards,

Chris.

Pardon my english

Edited by Papertiger59

• 6 months later...

Hello

Sorry I'm a bit late joining in this one.

I'm a big fan of the Skyhawk.  An excellent book reference for everything IAF A-4 is the Isradecal publication A-4 Skyhawk, number three in their Aircraft of the Israeli Air Force series.  ISBN 965-7220-00-9.  It covers everything from the history, squadrons, camo patterns and colours, plus excellent "walk round" photos.  Lots of colour, highly recommended.

The fixed L/E slats were a feature of the Blue Angels machines, plus some adversary aircraft.  The slats deploy by gravity when on the ground.  In the air, aerodynamic pressure holds them in place up to the point where the aircraft is about to stall.  At this moment the stagnation point (point at which airflow divides over upper and lower surfaces) moves from the leading edge towards the under surface, the force holding the slats in place decreases and they deploy.  Because it is possible that the slats could deploy asymmetrically,  units like the Blue Angels locked them in place.  In close formation, one aircraft suddenly going "a bit wobbly" could have major consequences.

Hope this helps.

Trevor

• Like 1