IDF A-4 Skyhawk 1/72

Andre B

How to build an accurate 1/72 IDF A-4 Skyhawk these days?

The Esci, Matchbox and Frog kits are gone since many years ago.  And even the Fujimi and Hasegawa kits are selldom seen.

Can something be done with the Italeri and Airfix kits?

Cheers / André

Edited by Andre B

Andre

I'm sure a true Skyhawk expert will comment soon but the IDF Skyhawk variants were the A-4H, A-4N, TA-4H and TA-4J plus USN-transferred A-4E.  

To do the single-seaters, you need an A-4E/F for the A-4H (and USN A-4E, obviously!) or an A-4M (or A-4KU) for the A-4N.  The new Airfix kit is an A-4B, so has the wrong nose and intakes to be of use.  I don't know the Italeri A-4E kit but imagine it might work for an IDF A-4H.

The definitive IDF A-4N also has different cannons (30mm DEFA vs 20mm Colt) and an extended tailpipe.

I hope that helps .., and I stand by to be corrected by those who know better!

PS Kingkit have a Fujimi A-4KU in stock and that comes with markings for an IDF A-4N (I believe): Link 

Edited by Vultures1
  • Like 1

Both the old and new tool Airfix are short nose Sapphire engined, so of little use, as has already been mentioned.

Italeri did both an E and an M, though the kit got rather mixed reviews 30 years ago, IIRC.

The Hasegawa kit is said to have a substantially overscale fuselage. It should be fairly easy to find in a Frog box. It also curiously has Sparrows, probably meant to be Shrikes.

The Matchbox should also be fairly easy to find. It is a typical Matchbox kit but IIRC compares well to the Model Art drawings (and Ian Huntley‘s in the original Warpaint, upon which it’s probably based). 

I think you need DEFA‘s not only for the N but the H as well. Those may be within one of the Fujimi boxings but should not be hard to scratch. I‘m not aware that any kit has the anti-IR extension; again, should be easy to do yourself. For this job and anything else, the IsraDecal book is very highly recommended.

• Like 1

DEFA guns for the IDF Skyhawks are available in resin from Quickboost.

Of the various kits available, the best to build is the Fujimi offering for both the H and the N. The Esci kit is IMHO more accurate but the mix of raised and recessed panel lines is quite puzzling. The Italeri kits are not great but can be worked with. I'd avoid the Hasegawa kit

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank's! :)

I am aware of what types of Skyhawk IDF flew and the differences when it comes to engines, guns etc. compared to their US Navy origins.

I've got the Esci and Italeri kits and the Airfix kit is easy available.

So I appreciate information as where I can get resin parts as the DEFA guns from Quickboost. And that's the reason I also mentioned the Airfix kit as it is the newest and best (?) A-4 in the market and if it could be used as an better kit (with resin parts to uppgrade) or donor kit for one of the versions used by IDF instead of for example the Hasegawa kit...

What I really want to build is an IDF A-4N with the extended tailpipe. But I am not bound for build that version.

Cheers / André

Edited by Andre B

The M/N have a modified, larger cockpit section and canopy. Even though the Italeri was first released as an M, I‘m not sure it portrays this. Fujimi and Matchbox do. Converting the Airfix would not leave much of the original kit, so it’s hardly of use for an N. If you don’t mind some old fashioned modelling , build the Matchbox...

• Like 1

Re the extended tailpipe the original H models were modified after combat experience, so weren't delivered with it so an early example could be done without.

The rush supply of M models in 1973 (?) also did not have them fitted until the time allowed extensive overhauls.

DennisTheBear

17 minutes ago, DennisTheBear said:

Re the extended tailpipe the original H models were modified after combat experience, so weren't delivered with it so an early example could be done without.

The rush supply of M models in 1973 (?) also did not have them fitted until the time allowed extensive overhauls.

DennisTheBear

Good to know, as I found a Fujmi A-4M kit last year, for exactly this purpose.  Decals and markings are reason for not starting.

Having read the thread though, I'm more likely to modify and repaint my old Matchbox model now.

55 minutes ago, DennisTheBear said:

The post-Yom Kuppur Nickel Grass emergency Skyhawk deliveries to the IDF/AF were A-4E (and  F?) models, not A-4M's. 

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Hook said:

The post-Yom Kuppur Nickel Grass emergency Skyhawk deliveries to the IDF/AF were A-4E (and  F?) models, not A-4M's. 

Cheers,

Andre

Thanks Andre, hadn't realized that. I think I'll do some more reading on the Arab-Isreali conflicts soon (work and family permitting).

DennisTheBear

4 hours ago, Sonoran said:

If you’re looking for an accurate 1/72 A-4, the Fujimi kits are the only ones worth bothering with.  They’re all little gems.

Indeed! I snatch them up whenever I see them available. 

11 hours ago, MiG-Mech said:

Fujimis A-4KU includes Israeli decals.

, but not the Israeli mods like the DEFA guns (so it's not accurate OOTB for an A-4N) and extended jet pipe.

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm currently working on a Frog kit that I found on ebay. The instructions and decals are yellowing with age but still seem functional.

I notice on the Hannant's website that Hobby Boss are planning to release A-4F and A-4M kits.

• Like 1

Just to make a comment on A-4's with Sparrow's. Some A-4's were wired to carry Sparrows early during the SE Asia war to fly CAP for some smaller Essex carriers. Others may have more info.

58 minutes ago, jpk said:

Just to make a comment on A-4's with Sparrow's. Some A-4's were wired to carry Sparrows early during the SE Asia war to fly CAP for some smaller Essex carriers. Others may have more info.

They were wired for Sidewinders, not Sparrows.

Sparrows would require an air to air capable radar for target illumination. 

Cheers,

Andre

1 hour ago, Scimitar said:

Last week I read about a new (or re-released) 1/72 decal sheet for the Israeli A-4 and typically can't find it now. I will keep looking unless somebody else has the info.

A new sheet for Israeli A-4s would certainly be an asset.  Good luck with your searches!!

16 hours ago, Scimitar said:

Appears they are also doing the conversion for the extended tailpipe too.

Nice looking decal sheet, I can feel a need coming on, I couldn't find any extended tail pipes on their site though, not saying they weren't their, just I couldn't find them. :unsure:

Steve.