Battle of Britain duo.

"What General Wegand called the Battle of France is over,I expect the Battle of Britain to begin.Upon this battle depend's the

survival  of Christian civilisation.Upon it depend's our own British life and the long continuity of our Empire and  institution's"

Winston Churchill 18th June 1940.

Right that's the historical bit,I love Aircraft and since the eight year old me was taken to see The Battle of Britain have been enthralled by event's during the summer

of 1940.I  bought Johnny Kent's account of his career in the RAF last week and now plan to read Geoffrey Wellum's account when I borrow it off my eldest.I have a 

terrible track record in this section with the last four or five project's either dead in the water or still half finished! I'm aiming for a end of year finish so no rushing 

Tamiya's two old but still very good kit's,Box scheme for the Luftwaffe tribute not sure on the Spitfire yet be a week or so before I get a start.

42278058210_a53053b98c_o.jpg

44087151121_ca4ceb274a_o.jpg

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 10

Morning folk's,a start made on this project as expected with the cockpit's.Both were painted and detailed and for a change for me a wash put in

to add depth.Finally masking tape harness added,I'm running low on paint's at the moment and being on a day of I'm going down to my  LMS so

I'm hoping topick up dedicated colour's for both from the Mr Hobby range.

44215643461_491efc0b80_b.jpg

30347932478_88009a647a_b.jpg

30347923718_92cdec2f22_b.jpg

43497744614_dae7771f47_b.jpg

• Like 6

32 minutes ago, BIG X said:

2 very nice looking 'offices' there.  Pardon my ignorance of Tamiya - what scale???

Thank's Steve  they are 1/48 scale,this is my second Spitfire but first Bf109 from Tamiya.I built the Vb for the RAF 100 GB.

42213739592_9c68044bff_b.jpg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, azureglo said:

Nice job on those pits, just a wee request: Any chance you could make the pictures bigger say 1024 x 768? Would love to see you handiwork in more detail

A

Many thank's A,I used the phone for those pics which tend to be small,back to the camera for the rest of the build.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Andwil said:

Looking good Steve, although nothing like the instructions!

AW

I KNEW I hadn't seen a Spitfire with a Rotor before! Cheer's Andy.

• 3 weeks later...

Evening Folk's,well into Wellum's book now so great inspiration to pick up this thread again especially as Tamiya's decal's cover 92 Sqn's aircraft.

Both primed and base colour's started.

44759121532_e38abd5235_b.jpg

• Like 4

Hi Steve - You're well versed in BoB camo colours and such. I see you're doing the Spit with night/white u/s colours. My guess is you've done the research on the a/c you're modelling so have an accurate handle on what colours to use. I only make the point since my understanding is that, after Dunkirk, Fighter Command were instructed to paint the u/s with Sky Type S, supplies of which were limited until roughly the end of August when most a/c were painted with sky u/s. At unit level, while there were supply problems with sky, various other u/s colours were used like aeu-de-nil or a light blue (duck egg blue-ish) before reverting to night/white really after the BoB official finish (Oct 40), since the RAF policy changed from mainly defensive to offensive, with increasing forays across the Channel into France and the Low Countries. I guess you just need to be as sure as you can about your phot references for the a/c you're portraying. All the best - Paul

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pauls9cb said:

Hi Steve - You're well versed in BoB camo colours and such. I see you're doing the Spit with night/white u/s colours. My guess is you've done the research on the a/c you're modelling so have an accurate handle on what colours to use. I only make the point since my understanding is that, after Dunkirk, Fighter Command were instructed to paint the u/s with Sky Type S, supplies of which were limited until roughly the end of August when most a/c were painted with sky u/s. At unit level, while there were supply problems with sky, various other u/s colours were used like aeu-de-nil or a light blue (duck egg blue-ish) before reverting to night/white really after the BoB official finish (Oct 40), since the RAF policy changed from mainly defensive to offensive, with increasing forays across the Channel into France and the Low Countries. I guess you just need to be as sure as you can about your phot references for the a/c you're portraying. All the best - Paul

Hi Paul,underside's according to Tamiya's instruction's are sky with the night painted wing,have not seen anything reference wise to contradict this but then

you know what a minefield this period of RAF scheme's can be!

• Like 1

I obviously need my eyes testing. Saw the black wing but successfully blanked out that the right wing was painted sky (rather than white) in accordance with the Tamiya instructions. I guess my real point was that it wasn't until Dec 1940 that the Air Ministry started tinkering with what by then had become pretty excluively sky u/s (AMO A.926 issued on 12/12/40 - black/night left wing u/s). Perhaps this stretches your intention of a BoB duo beyond the commonly-accepted end of the Bob of 31/10/40, even though the Luftwaffe was still conducting lower level raids on Britain as winter took hold. Tamiya doesn't clarify that X4561 was first flown on 29/9/40 and was entered into service with 92 Squadron as QJoB in December 1940. Definitely nit-picking on my part, for which  accept my apologies, but I feel Tamiya should have been a bit clearer on the time frame. I also came across in my searches the suggestion that Geoff Wellum's Spit had the individual a/c code of "K", but I couldn't find any other supporting detail. I wonder whether Tamiya were simply following Airfix's lead with their 1/24 scale Spit 1, which had decals for the same 2 a/c as supplied by Tamiya.

Whatever you decide on this, the 2 models are looking pretty good, in line with your usual products. Paul.

• Like 1

Nice builds Steve, recently managed to get my hands on an Academy Buchon so thought about doing a double build with my Airfix spit mk 1 especially after the Battle of Britain tribute at flying legends this year.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Lovely idea for a project Steve and both aircraft looking great. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thank's Stix.

1 hour ago, Blitz23 said:

Nice builds Steve, recently managed to get my hands on an Academy Buchon so thought about doing a double build with my Airfix spit mk 1 especially after the Battle of Britain tribute at flying legends this year.

Cheer's Blitz.

Morning folk's,got the green brushed on this morning,I really love these Mr Hobby paint's two thin coat's alway's work well.109 is in the paint shop now

hope to post an update tonight.

43072389140_7721d914b0_b.jpg

• Like 5

Nice work, Steve.

I found myself with a similar desire for that pair, but decided to jump forward one year and make an in-flight dio. To that end I grabbed an Eduard 109E-3 and a Revell Spitfire Mk.IIa - both in 32nd scale - and a couple of pilot figures (Aerobonus for the Spit and PJ Productions for the 109). Not made a start on it yet, but shall follow your pair with interest.

Cheers

Kev

Edited by modelman182
  • Like 1