Paint and Miliput

Uncle Pete

Hi, Lads, I'm hoping to blag a bit of expertise here.  Is it me or does Miliput not like paint?  Never used it before and finding it very cooperative to handle but I've been having a devil of a time getting the old Humbrol 01 to stick to a couple of repairs.  Am I doing something wrong?  (Admittedly, it does seem to stick if I dab it on full strength rather than brush it on slightly thinned).  A poke around on Google hasn't turned up anything so far.  

In all honesty I would suggest you try another range of paints or another colour from your paint rack. I've never had a problem and there are hundreds of users here who (I don't recall) have any issues.

Jeff

• Thanks 1

It’s down as being ‘chemical resistant’, so I’m wondering if that’s what’s giving you grief? I usually prime areas after filling or sculpting with Milliput and can’t say I’ve had the reaction you’re getting. Milliput is wonderful stuff and I think I’ve had some in my toolkit since forever (obviously not the same packet, Milliput goes a little funky on you if you keep it too long). Blooming handy to use around the house in non-modelling situations too.

Another epoxy putty similar to Milliput is ‘Kneadatite’, very sticky in use and softer than Milliput when cured (and it’s green), but just as useful.:thumbsup2:

Mart

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've used Milliput in the past and have used it this time round a couple of times and have had no probs. I use the white fine version

Are you letting it harden fully before painting?

I leave it 24 hours, quick sand and prime if it's a decent area then on with the paint, I use Tamiya acrylics now but used to use only Humbrol enamels years ago (as everyone else did) with no issues and probably didn't use primer back then either

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, pinky coffeeboat said:

I've never had a problem

9 hours ago, LotusArenco said:

can’t say I’ve had the reaction you’re getting

9 hours ago, Redstaff said:

have had no probs

Thanks, guys.  Not the answer I wanted but thanks!  (I wanted it to be anything else but me!)  I'll have to try letting it sit longer before priming.  The good news is, I've finally got the primer to stick after sanding and reprimering about nineteen times.  I suppose it keeps me out of the pubs...

• Like 1

All I can think of it it isn't curing fully (white milliput is a pig for this as it's very hard to see if it's totally mixed) of there's some grease coming in from somewhere. Some miniature sculptors use oil to smooth out when they're doing masters, and I've known modellers who have tried this and find it really doesn't help at the paint stage...

Kneadtite is wonderful stuff, but it doesn't sand at all well. It remains slightly flexible, which is an advantage, but you can't sand it down like milliput. You have to smooth/sculpt it down wet before it cures. It also isn't great for forming sharp edges. I've heard of a product known as "brown stuff" used by the figure sculpting mob which seems to combine the best features of GS and milliput, but is eye-wateringly expensive.