RAAF 1/48 Kinetic F/A-18B Hornet - A21-103 The first hornet assembled in Australia

Hi all,

This is the fantastic Kinetic F/A-18B Hornet kit. It's already that accepted go to subject for a 1/48 legacy Hornet as most options can be built from the various boxings that have been released over the last two years.

I'm building this one as the first assembled in Australia' Hornet A21-103 done up in 3 squadron markings. 'The decals will come from the now defunct Afterburner Decals sheet for RAAF Hornets.

The build has been vice less so far with my available time spent doing up the cockpit tub. I've not chosen to go the AM route here as the kit tub is more than acceptable and when dressed up looks the part. Kit decals adorn the instrument panels and side consoles and funnily enough don't look to bad. I've had a good look at the kit plastic and photos from the Reid Air Publications book and the correlation between kit and real life is good.

The seats are almost done, though I need to install the Aussie specific harness pattern to make them SJU-9/10 seats.

Though perhaps not accurate the idea is to load it with training rounds to demonstrate what stores it can carry.

So the idea is 

Stn 1 - Training ASRAAM
Stn 2 - LGTR (BOL pylon and LGTR adapter)
Stn 3- Tank
Stn 4- Captive AIM-120
Stn 5 - CL LITENING
Stn 6-  ELTA-8222
Stn 7 - Tank
Stn 8 - Training GBU-38 (BOL pylon)
Stn 9 - ACMI pod or TCTS pod depending on the time frame.

There's other assemblies I've worked on but this is the main output so far.

Hope you like it.

Michael

The real thing.

Airliners.net photo removed

C1oXVemolTGrlZao9QDTPnEh1aJ7oOv-ocedWfgm

3EchF-vRqE7dv7NgPV5y29N4plXofe-Kp5DyUtnS

The kit tub so far.

eaLaclQduzTVQeiK-Mi4WzV6VHjj4msH_CguLux8

The fit is absolutely spot on. Pardon the instrument coamings as they aren't complete and are a bit on the glossy side.

tQl6zl1LkFddC6w4_Pog2Gj2ILKqIKwPx46bKrVz

And the supplied seats are really nice too, just no harnesses.

HJUzs3pkYgSeWkEsqkWT-e7xFjknKBqPSD5CqTVi

The full length intakes are really nice

GDpdJ-OnYGEoqWGaJFQWWZTUPYB5vLXeq7cbwoty

And all of the other jiggery-pokery

UWAcNF-Ja_E_PK3UeA9SMqNfMDp3pwAqe4o9t2Hb

• Like 6

Nice

building one myself. The single seater RAAF bird with the Red Fins. Great kit thus far, falls together

hope to see progress on yours, i originally wanted to build a 2 seater too. But I like the high vis roundels more n was not about to buy any aftermarket decals plus its less work to build 🤪

Rgds

2 hours ago, Mr B said:

Nice

building one myself. The single seater RAAF bird with the Red Fins. Great kit thus far, falls together

hope to see progress on yours, i originally wanted to build a 2 seater too. But I like the high vis roundels more n was not about to buy any aftermarket decals plus its less work to build 🤪

Rgds

Thanks Mr B.

Agreed, it does fall together.

I've just sold the 72nd version of 30th Anniversary red tail hornet.

What stage are you up to with your build? Keen to hear of any vices if you've encountered any?

Cheers

MD

2 hours ago, pacificmustang said:

So the idea of doing more 72 scale anniversary tails has bitten the dust has it Mitch?😁

Looking forward  to seeing this progress.  Great scheme too

Bruce

Yep. Particularly with the anniversary I've just had.

Edited by Mick Drover

8 hours ago, Witness said:

Are you sure there wasn't a PE Sheet with harnesses in the kit? My kit definitely had one set of harnesses in!

G'day Witness. 

Yes there is a PE fret in the kit but there's no etch for the harnesses present. Perhaps the single seat version has the harness in it? 

Cheers

Michael

23 hours ago, Mick Drover said:

Thanks Mr B.

Agreed, it does fall together.

I've just sold the 72nd version of 30th Anniversary red tail hornet.

What stage are you up to with your build? Keen to hear of any vices if you've encountered any?

Cheers

MD

Hi mike,

not far far into the build. If we go by the instructions, I am at the stage of building up the lower fuselage ...intakes, main gear housing and the burner cans....but I am not following the instruction fully, started the build with the nose section as mates who have built this, say the refueling probe area is problematic....and it’s confirmed by me....too....watch that area....it will need TLC....

oh yes, there is 1 harness supplied ...on the PE fret...go figure, they took so much time to give modelers to build a b but left out one more harness.....

i might start a build thread on my own....

this kit is built along two 1/48 provost kits and those really are taking my time 

cheers and will follow your build....love the 2 seater

rgds

brian

7 hours ago, Mick Drover said:

G'day Witness. 

Yes there is a PE fret in the kit but there's no etch for the harnesses present. Perhaps the single seat version has the harness in it? 

Cheers

Michael

I got the A/B/CF-188 version, and just double checked my kit only one set of harnesses come on the PE fret, they're between the canopy frame & mirror pieces. Seems a shame that they didn't include a set for the rear seat too!

On 8/18/2018 at 1:54 PM, Mr B said:

Hi mike,

not far far into the build. If we go by the instructions, I am at the stage of building up the lower fuselage ...intakes, main gear housing and the burner cans....but I am not following the instruction fully, started the build with the nose section as mates who have built this, say the refueling probe area is problematic....and it’s confirmed by me....too....watch that area....it will need TLC....

oh yes, there is 1 harness supplied ...on the PE fret...go figure, they took so much time to give modelers to build a b but left out one more harness.....

i might start a build thread on my own....

this kit is built along two 1/48 provost kits and those really are taking my time 

cheers and will follow your build....love the 2 seater

rgds

brian

Hi Brian.

Yeah, do a thread then I can see if you have any issues!!!

If you haven't already, glue the intake lip to the intake trunks before inserting them into the fuselage. It's a lot easier to clean up the seam at the lip than if they were installed in the fuselage.

On 8/18/2018 at 8:48 PM, Witness said:

I got the A/B/CF-188 version, and just double checked my kit only one set of harnesses come on the PE fret, they're between the canopy frame & mirror pieces. Seems a shame that they didn't include a set for the rear seat too!

Hi Witness.

I did find the PE part for the harness an sadly it looks nothing like the harness arrangement for a Hornet. I'm using the buckles from an Aires set of seats, I'll mate them with some tape and it should look a lot better.

On 8/18/2018 at 3:18 AM, exdraken said:

Nice selection and good start!

Thanks Draken. 

Regards,

MD

For the harnesses on the Aussie seats, your easiest option is to get Mk.10 harnesses from either a Tornado or Hawk detail set. One of the main (possibly only?) difference between the USN configured seat and the Australian seat is the harness. The USN use koch fittings to clip to the pilot, essentially the pilot clips himself to the seat in four positions, while the Aussie seats have the full harness with QRF (quick release fitting), as you would see on the Mk 10 in the Hawk. This is the difference between SJU-5/6 and SJU-9/10, both of which are versions of the Mk.10.

Edited by CharlieNZ
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CharlieNZ said:

For the harnesses on the Aussie seats, your easiest option is to get Mk.10 harnesses from either a Tornado or Hawk detail set. One of the main (possibly only?) difference between the USN configured seat and the Australian seat is the harness. The USN use koch fittings to clip to the pilot, essentially the pilot clips himself to the seat in four positions, while the Aussie seats have the full harness with QRF (quick release fitting), as you would see on the Mk 10 in the Hawk. This is the difference between SJU-5/6 and SJU-9/10, both of which are versions of the Mk.10.

Hi Charlie.

That's awesome information and most likely and easier solution too. After reading what you mentioned I've had a look at the Eduard etc seatbelt sets for the Revell Tornado and they do indeed look to be a close match to the Australia Hornet harness arrangement.BNA have them in stock so I'll grab a set.

Thanks for the great info, that's really helpful!

Cheers,

Michael

Hi again,

since I am building an Australian one, how different is the harness ? Any pics....?...I most likely will stick to what is given in the box.....

Thanks for the advise on the intakes, did mine a slightly different way...

rgds

45 minutes ago, Mr B said:

Hi again,

since I am building an Australian one, how different is the harness ? Any pics....?...I most likely will stick to what is given in the box.....

Thanks for the advise on the intakes, did mine a slightly different way...

rgds

USN harness is two short shoulder straps, two small lap belts, each with koch fittings.

http://www.ejectionsite.com/sju56aseat.htm

Australian harness looks like any other UK style Mk 10 harness, full length straps with anti G straps and QRF.

Hard to find SJU-9 images, but the harness is much the same as the Mk10:

mk10-2.jpg

Edited by CharlieNZ
  • Like 1

On 8/22/2018 at 4:26 PM, CharlieNZ said:

USN harness is two short shoulder straps, two small lap belts, each with koch fittings.

http://www.ejectionsite.com/sju56aseat.htm

Australian harness looks like any other UK style Mk 10 harness, full length straps with anti G straps and QRF.

Hard to find SJU-9 images, but the harness is much the same as the Mk10:

mk10-2.jpg

Thanks CharlieNZ,

for the information, I have decided to stick a pilot in the craft....just tested the fit, had to chop the poor guys feet off at the knee for him to fit.

my multiple provost builds are taking most of my time, next bench time will solely be for the hornet.

rgds n happy Modelling to all

mr b