Consolidated PBY-5 Catalina Revell 1:48 scale

On 8/18/2018 at 5:10 PM, Selwyn said:

Great build looks just like a cat should look like!

One niggle,  the PW engines didn't have exhaust collector rings like British Bristol engines so the front of the engine nacelles should be in airframe colour not bronze.

Selwyn

Yes ... quite agree but I had a 40 year old tin of Airfix bronze enamel and after deciding to do my own take on a paintscheme I saw on the 1:72 Airfix box art, I thought why not ?

The model was used to try out new techniques in painting and weathering so more than happy.

Also used the little glittery / sparkly bits from a birthday card to make the lens for the landing lamps on the leading edges. 

Required sanding to make them thin enough to fit ... another idea made to work 👌👍

• 2 years later...

No change to the model but wanted to change the stand for the Catalina, as I was currently using the metal base that came with my magnifying glass as I thought that it was the only thing sturdy enough to support the model. As I used an acrylic rod for another large model, I thought I'd give it a try and was pleasantly surprised !! 

The Cat is a big model but not that heavy and well balanced. This is how it was being displayed ...

Old stand

I sourced some 7" x  4" mdf plinths and cut off a piece of  clear rod  to mount onto it ....

Catalina base update

I then sourced an appropriate image online and found this, was free to download, so I did :) .. this has been printed on normal paper, just as a test piece ..

Catalina base update

It looks as if this will work, so I printed off another copy but used some matt finish decal paper, printed ok and thought result !! ...

Catalina base update

When I tried to clear coat the decal paper, to seal in the image, it smudged the image slightly, so it is back onto the internet and I'll order some photo paper. Whilst awaiting this, I've painted up the base but the last picture will give you an idea of how it will look.

Catalina base update

Just some ideas for future builds :) 

• Like 3